My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two V2 fixtures that were upgraded to V4 and the boards are stamped 12/2018. Both fixtures Boards now need replaced And one heat sink (for an unrelated reason) I am really disappointed that the boards went bad that quick (I did buy them used but they were updated right before I bought them and they all worked fine last July. Come November they were shot.
I am torn on what to do, it will cost me about $500 or so to repair them and ship them. I am slightly concerned that they might go bad again but I have heard that part of the newer upgrade was thicker wire running to the diodes. I don’t know.
corey

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boards are also 2018, it must be an issue on that make possibly. I too heard older ones like v2 last for ages with no issues but all 3 of my v4 have issues as well as another local guy. Issues are real and they don't answer you when you ask why it's happening just reply with "replace to new board issue fixed" what's the issue? If there is a issue why are they charging to for new board. Local guy light is 9 months old and has to pay shipping 75 usd for new board. I don't get if it's under warranty why you would need to pay shipping

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two V2 fixtures that were upgraded to V4 and the boards are stamped 12/2018. Both fixtures Boards now need replaced And one heat sink (for an unrelated reason) I am really disappointed that the boards went bad that quick (I did buy them used but they were updated right before I bought them and they all worked fine last July. Come November they were shot.
I am torn on what to do, it will cost me about $500 or so to repair them and ship them. I am slightly concerned that they might go bad again but I have heard that part of the newer upgrade was thicker wire running to the diodes. I don’t know.
corey
My new board I just got is stamped 2018/5/1

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new board with the same date 2018/5/1. I compare to my old board and they look identical.

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new board with the same date 2018/5/1. I compare to my old board and they look identical.
I’m fairly certain that the boards are not upgraded....it’s the LEDs that are attached to the boards that are upgraded. Even in their new marketing, Orphek is bragging about new upgrades LEDs, but no mention of boards...but that’s probably to in the weeds to even mention In marketing materials anyway.

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly certain that the boards are not upgraded....it’s the LEDs that are attached to the boards that are upgraded. Even in their new marketing, Orphek is bragging about new upgrades LEDs, but no mention of boards...but that’s probably to in the weeds to even mention In marketing materials anyway.
Correct, and they bragging on using new thicker wires...Go figure... I just hope this new PCB last longer:)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here has been my experience. I got the atlantik in late 2018, and have been very impressed running the non-white channels 100%. Couple weeks ago I notice my violets not working, channel 3. I emailed orphek and asked if I could buy replacements since I was out of warrantee as I bought them in late 2018. They said no charge and would send me a new board, I just paid shipping. I got the new board today, was pretty easy to install. Here are some pictures, they upgraded the connecting wires no doubt as you can see with the old vs new 460s. Since my violets appeared to literally burn, I have some faith that this fix will help with cooling. They also send the new 5w chips that run cooler. Those items combined give me confidence in the fix. Here is also a picture of the old 380 nm UV, no damage at all being run 100% 6 plus hours a day for over a year. The lens also didn’t have damage.

Overall I am very impressed they didn’t charge for out of warrantee fix and the replacements at least visually have changed for the better. Time will tell if they hold up, but no doubt they are improved of the previous fixtures.

Old 460
FECEE99F-D06A-4B48-B64A-72CBC3F338AF.jpeg

New 460
320A475D-1846-4172-B0FF-AA1969E34D02.jpeg

UV
FA1F6E94-84DF-4623-B356-6A75F670A85A.jpeg

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here has been my experience. I got the atlantik in late 2018, and have been very impressed running the non-white channels 100%. Couple weeks ago I notice my violets not working, channel 3. I emailed orphek and asked if I could buy replacements since I was out of warrantee as I bought them in late 2018. They said no charge and would send me a new board, I just paid shipping. I got the new board today, was pretty easy to install. Here are some pictures, they upgraded the connecting wires no doubt as you can see with the old vs new 460s. Since my violets appeared to literally burn, I have some faith that this fix will help with cooling. They also send the new 5w chips that run cooler. Those items combined give me confidence in the fix. Here is also a picture of the old 380 nm UV, no damage at all being run 100% 6 plus hours a day for over a year. The lens also didn’t have damage.

Overall I am very impressed they didn’t charge for out of warrantee fix and the replacements at least visually have changed for the better. Time will tell if they hold up, but no doubt they are improved of the previous fixtures.

Old 460

New 460

UV
Great to hear!!

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are based in Brazil.

until you find the receipt from hong kong 300 usd for v4 and two or bars lol

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the great things I have said about this company I am going to have to take back and say "BUYER BEWARE". Their stock and availability is horrible, their contact is slow, they are a small business that can't handle these lights.

Buggy software and LED's that burn out. Both of my orphek bars have missing lights and my bar over the frag tank just stopped working 2 days ago.

These are pretty lights but you are better off sticking with Ecotech or AI.
Again I will promote ReeFi

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just recently looking at the Reefi’s lights and a thought occurred to me, why are they better? Or for that matter why is Ecotech, Orphek, Kessill, Philips among others,Better.

Beyond the slick advertising, pretty pictures and graphs and look who’s using our lights not one has come out and publicly stated, Why their light offerings is better than their Competitors that I am aware of.

Fragit, this is not directed at you personally, just thinking out loud.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just recently looking at the Reefi’s lights and a thought occurred to me, why are they better? Or for that matter why is Ecotech, Orphek, Kessill, Philips among others,Better.

Beyond the slick advertising, pretty pictures and graphs and look who’s using our lights not one has come out and publicly stated, Why their light offerings is better than their Competitors that I am aware of.

I think ReeFi are better because they offer a good value ($650 per light), they offer the best warranty that I have seen (3 years), they offer exceptional customer service (my own experience), they are powerful (my own experience as well as Dana's in his ReeFi testing thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/interesting-new-led-light.640820/), corals grow well and look good under them (my own experience) and they are easy to use (my own experience).

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite having orphek send repairs for my lights and being happy they did so when I was outside warranty reefi seem really nice with the 3 year and how responsive he is. However I am satisfied with the orphek fix and am happy with orpheks. I have had really bad experience with ecotech trying to repair a light but that’s another story so I don’t consider ecotech better than orpheks but again reefi do seem really nice.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for being cognizant of my feelings but I did not take it that way at all. I agree completely with what @lexinverts said above. In addition what sealed the deal for me was warranty, no side glare and responsiveness from the builder himself. And to your point history has demonstrated over and over you can grow corals with pretty much any light.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My V4 fixture didn't even last 24 hours. Total piece of junk these things are...I wanted to like it so bad as I currently have their OR2 blue bars and now this experience has me looking at reefbrites to replace those since I doubt this company is going to be around for the long haul.

Never in my 10 years in this hobby have I been so disappointed with a product. They really have no business selling this thing and to all people on the fence, just get AI or Ecotech lights...it's just not worth it to gamble at this price point. Get something reliable that works and doesn't have a support staff that is only reachable via email. Orphek is just too small of a company.

If you STILL choose to go with this company realize you are taking a LARGE risk:

1: They don't always have inventory in stock at their partner resellers like BRS
2: They only do support via email, so far my last email is going unanswered for 10+ hours
3: You better buy double (backup set) if you plan on having any SPS in your tank because imagine losing one or more on a Friday night and not having your email answered until Monday and then have the new parts by Wednesday at the earliest and then have to solder them in yourself. Tell me how that "stable" environment for SPS is working out for you. :)
4: Have a simple issue? GL waiting hours for a response via email.

Last edited:

carlosfandangothe2nd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent posted for a while on my faulty Orpheks. Currently both are in the repair shop in UK to have LEDs replaced - cost of £110. Just received email from agent, that both PC cards are also faulty - another £169!!!! These lights are less than 2 years old.

Very very disappointing Orphek!!

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My V4 has been sitting at Bulk Reef Supply for a week now. I called to ask for status on the RMA and they said the person who tests these left and they are getting someone new up to speed.

Not only are these things limited by a very small company and support but when one of your main distributors has to train someone to even be able to test and see if they work you have a problem!

This is the worst reefing purchase I have ever made, if I don’t know anything by Thursday I’m going to dispute the charge on my credit card with BRS. I’d hate to be black listed by them but there are plenty of good reef supply companies out there to jump to.

I’m too afraid to order a new light because the return policy on lighting is awful and I don’t even know if bulk resupply is going to give my money back and admit these things are broken.

Orphek may be fine for those cheap bars because you don’t have to deal with them, if they break just buy a new one but when a $1000 unit takes a dump in the first 2 days of ownership I can’t just “eat it”.

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old 460

New 460

UV
How did you get a new board for free? My light was only just out of warranty and had to pay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back