My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has seriously made me rethink my new tank, softies only lagoon due to some fish I want, very interested to see what you think about the rfgs. :)

I'm sorry I made you think, I hate thinking ;Bored

I'm hoping they work out really well, I only ordered 2 3/4" (2-Pack) to test them out. I have fan nozzles, circular nozzles and the RFG's to play with so I'm sure I can work something out between them. I've heard mostly good things about the RFG's and my flow through them should be almost ideal for best operation so I will know for sure what they are capable of once it gets filled up.:)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the closed loop RFG design... I know they've mostly gone out of style but in larger tanks they seem like such a no brainer especially with Vectra versatility running the show.

And oh yeah, Nice job in the sump room too ;)

You know, it's a real shame the whole Closed loop seems to have fallen out of style. However, I have come up with an even better option for those who are scared of holes in there tank and really it's just an AIO style back of tank with a coast to coast overflow design. Center portion of the overflow being the actual overflow for the tank with two side overflows for a closed loop pump in each side feeding two lines each that have bulkheads through the AIO wall to pipes running under the sandbed/rockwork...

Really I think this is the ultimate way of keeping powerheads off the end wall of peninsulas and with locline and a little patience drilling rocks (That's a lie, a ton of patience!) You can come up with a totally Modular design that you can change as much as you want for the flow you want. You can also run lines up across the top of the tank if you have a canopy and get in from the top corners which has been done many times before but worth mentioning as well.

FWIW I feel there are more and more closed loops popping back up. There are some serious advantages to them that seem to get lost in all the high tech power head talk.

And oh yeah, Thanks! I'm really excited to have a sump room. Might even make maintaining the sump enjoyable :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it's a real shame the whole Closed loop seems to have fallen out of style. However, I have come up with an even better option for those who are scared of holes in there tank and really it's just an AIO style back of tank with a coast to coast overflow design. Center portion of the overflow being the actual overflow for the tank with two side overflows for a closed loop pump in each side feeding two lines each that have bulkheads through the AIO wall to pipes running under the sandbed/rockwork...

Really I think this is the ultimate way of keeping powerheads off the end wall of peninsulas and with locline and a little patience drilling rocks (That's a lie, a ton of patience!) You can come up with a totally Modular design that you can change as much as you want for the flow you want. You can also run lines up across the top of the tank if you have a canopy and get in from the top corners which has been done many times before but worth mentioning as well.

FWIW I feel there are more and more closed loops popping back up. There are some serious advantages to them that seem to get lost in all the high tech power head talk.

And oh yeah, Thanks! I'm really excited to have a sump room. Might even make maintaining the sump enjoyable :)

I have talked with @Katrina71 aka the ginger bird about this but we talked spraybar returns with lockline and rfgs. :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked with @Katrina71 aka the ginger bird about this but we talked spraybar returns with lockline and rfgs. :)

Something I had spoken briefly about with her as well and she mentioned the spray bar, kindof a closed loop version of a Gyre. :D

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I had spoken briefly about with her as well and she mentioned the spray bar, kindof a closed loop version of a Gyre. :D

Picture a centre weir with a return either side and small rfg on a lockline base in a spraybar adaptor T piece (drink more you will picture this better), basically you can aim flow anywhere.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats really is a fantastic idea regarding the "Chambered" overflow design... I hadnt really thought that far into it but I'd buy that tank!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing the sump with the very cool coral cutouts and loving that but I do not remember that post at all. The inside has led lights? And are those acrylic 3D graphic pieces with LED in them? the idea for a giant all in one back coast to coast for closed loops is a great idea. One day...

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture a centre weir with a return either side and small rfg on a lockline base in a spraybar adaptor T piece (drink more you will picture this better), basically you can aim flow anywhere.

I like it. Solves a closed loops main flaw of versatility and with multiple RFG's the flow patterns would be wild!

Thats really is a fantastic idea regarding the "Chambered" overflow design... I hadnt really thought that far into it but I'd buy that tank!

When you sit down and think about it, it really is the ultimate solution especially with all these peninsula tanks around and I think most would probably go with it after a little thought. My next tank (Yeah I've thought about it) would be this exact setup and I think it would be amazing!

I remember seeing the sump with the very cool coral cutouts and loving that but I do not remember that post at all. The inside has led lights? And are those acrylic 3D graphic pieces with LED in them? the idea for a giant all in one back coast to coast for closed loops is a great idea. One day...

The inside has lights along the back top corner that were added in for maintenance purposes so I can easily see what I'm doing in the sump. I'm probably going to pull them apart and separate the back inside lights from the front LEDS so they can show different colors when I'd like them to. And you pretty much nailed it. The front are 3d pictures with layered acrylic and back lit with LED's :)

And maybe you'll have the first tank that will run a system like that, one day indeed:D

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it. Solves a closed loops main flaw of versatility and with multiple RFG's the flow patterns would be wild!

I have to sort the replacement bulkheads out and fix the leak, next actual project is to get the little rfgs and figure out how to plumb them into a 24" spraybar setup and run one big one in the cube off the same pump. ;)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to sort the replacement bulkheads out and fix the leak, next actual project is to get the little rfgs and figure out how to plumb them into a 24" spraybar setup and run one big one in the cube off the same pump. ;)

My first thought is a simple manifold with a bunch of T's plumbed together, locline off the T's to the RFG's and I think your good...

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaannnnnnnddddd here is where we are right now, going to need to fill in around the intake pipe but I'm pretty happy with how things are...

20200608_163321.jpg

20200608_163424.jpg

20200608_163330.jpg

20200608_163403.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaaaannnnnnnddddd here is where we are right now, going to need to fill in around the intake pipe but I'm pretty happy with how things are...

20200608_163321.jpg

20200608_163424.jpg

20200608_163330.jpg

20200608_163403.jpg
Ohhhh yesss my man! Thats what im talkin aBOOOOOOT! The vision reveals itself! Awesome timing too, cuz ive been holding ur beer for so long my skin encrusted onto the bottle! Haha.

GRATS!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhh yesss my man! Thats what im talkin aBOOOOOOT! The vision reveals itself! Awesome timing too, cuz ive been holding ur beer for so long my skin encrusted onto the bottle! Haha.

GRATS!

I figured you'd just down it and say you left it in the fridge somewhere never to be found ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

And thanks!!! Honestly it feels SOOOOOOOO good to have the majority of the scape done and it is almost exactly how I envisioned it. I'll probably make one last order of rock just to fill things in a little bit more around the bottom and in the back overflow part of the tank as well.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you'd just down it a say you left it in the fridge somewhere never to be found ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

And thanks!!! Honestly it feels SOOOOOOOO good to have the majority of the scape done and it is almost exactly how I envisioned it. I'll probably make one last order of rock just to fill things in a little bit more around the bottom and in the back overflow part of the tank as well.
If i drank it we couldnt share the two straws im afraid.

All jokes aside, i cant wait to ride along for the fine tuning of the flow and getting placements figured out!

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I made you think, I hate thinking ;Bored

I'm hoping they work out really well, I only ordered 2 3/4" (2-Pack) to test them out. I have fan nozzles, circular nozzles and the RFG's to play with so I'm sure I can work something out between them. I've heard mostly good things about the RFG's and my flow through them should be almost ideal for best operation so I will know for sure what they are capable of once it gets filled up.:)
I have 6 or 8 of both 1/2" and 3/4" RFG's. Only issues I had with them is 1) when I could get enough flow to them, I had a couple of each size that didn't seem to want to stay on the locline, little loose feeling when installed...should be easy fix...my other issue was I didn't have enough flow to run all of them the way I wanted, still think I was starving my pump, but thats not gonna be an issue this go around. :cool:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back