My somewhat Triton method. 75g SPS reef.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Five months ago I started a 75g SPS dormant reef ( Deep Blue tank) and a 30g sump. Radion Gen3 r30s running AB+, 2 Mp40wes, Eshopps S200 gen4 skimmer, Reef Octopus Br1000ss biopellet reactor with 3cups of pellets and 15lbs of LR rubble with 65lbs of LR in the DT and a Sicce 5.0 pump. Two weeks ago I notice my sump had failing seams so I started looking at refugiums with the BRS videos and I found the Triton sump design and I instantly liked it after reading tons of forums. So I ordered a Trigger 39 Sapphire, H380 fugue light.

I installed the sump with LR rubble, light and a ball of cheato last week and I cut the level of pellets in half but what I did is put the skimmer in the refugium section and the Refugium in the skimmer section, took out the socks and built a 15 1/8x 12" acrylic Sheet with teeth to make the requiem section 11.5" deep and it no longer flows through the trigger cut out. I then took the LR rubble and filled the sock compartment. Before any of this was done my Nitrates were 5ppm and Po4 at .05-07.

Its now been a week since the change and my cheato ball is 2x its size, and looking very healthy. I tested my water and my Ph is stable, my nitrates at 1ppm and my po4 is 0.03 using Hanna ultra low. My corals never look so nice with great PE, I had a nasty outbreak of diatoms that drastically went away. My plan is to continuing dosing BRS- Cal, DKH, and Mag with using Aqua-Vitro Fuel for additives with my pump and doing a WC when need. After Im out of additives from BRS I then when I run out off BRS I'm going to order Tritons Core7

Whats your thoughts.

OP
OP
F

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only think I changed was the LR rubble I moved to the Sock chamber. Yesterday I completely removed the BP and reactor after my tests of 1ppm N and .01 PO4.

Anyone see anything wrong with 10-15lbs of LR in the first chamber and the Cheato bring in the 2nd. Also looking to add more algae like Triton says to

89A409AD-26A4-45B2-ADE1-9858AFE662BB.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kinda where i am...added Chaeto and Red dragon algae to my refugium setup in my Trigger 34 Amethyst and have about 5-10 lbs of LR rubble. Will move to Core 7 later this month and stop doing Aqua-Vitro 8.4, Ions, Calcification, and Liquid vitamin for my corals. Not sure if I will stop my Red Sea NPOx4 yet as it really has kept my nitrates under control. I did remove my filer socks long ago for filter cups with Chem-pure and Purigen instead along with some carbon impregnated foam pads in the initial return. Will see how it goes...and follow you guys changes as well!

OP
OP
F

firefishalumacraft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it’s been 6 weeks and my Cheato is the size of a beach ball, nutrient levels are 0-.25n and Po4 stays around.01-.04. My SPS look great with awesome growth and colors. I’m still using BRS two part for mag C Alk and adding Aqua-vitro fuel 2x week and feeding heavily. Last time I did a waterm Change was 5.5 weeks, going to do one just for adding unknowns that my get depleted.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back