Mysis flakes from Brinshrimp Direct

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quarantining a Saddlback Butterfly and a Heni Butterfly and they love Mysis. They would also eat a little Ocean Nuitrition flakes. For a more "balanced" diet I'd like to have them eat more flakes because they have other nuitritive ingredients. I was considering using a Mysis based flake and ran into this website. They specify using a "low temp" procedure, high concentration of Mysis, plus they add Selco to the flakes. Sounds good.

Has anyone tried that? Other suggestions? They may start to eat more flakes in a few days..........

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a good flake ... as flakes go. Frozen foods, with or without supplements like Selcon / Zoecon are also a great idea (sounds like you're doing mysis - but there are also formulations like LRS and Rod's Food, fresh seafood blends, which will add a lot to their diets). For butterflies, you might consider a clam or mussel on the half-shell from the local food market, as well.

~Bruce

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a good flake ... as flakes go. Frozen foods, with or without supplements like Selcon / Zoecon are also a great idea (sounds like you're doing mysis - but there are also formulations like LRS and Rod's Food, fresh seafood blends, which will add a lot to their diets). For butterflies, you might consider a clam or mussel on the half-shell from the local food market, as well.

~Bruce

Thank you Bruce! I also use Cobalt Marine Omni that contains a lot of enticing ingredients that the Heni eats every single bit. But the Saddleback would spit out most and would not go after the tiny pieces like cyclops. Besides eventually they'll go in a "community" tank with Tangs, etc so flakes will be about half of their diet.

Luckily, the Saddleback has started to take more and more crushed Formula 1 and Prime Reef flakes( very high protein and fat).

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England, I feed RS mysis frozen, they do a flake, that is my staple flake twice a day, my fuzzy dwarf lion and 2 hawks take it as well as everyone else. :)

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
England, I feed RS mysis frozen, they do a flake, that is my staple flake twice a day, my fuzzy dwarf lion and 2 hawks take it as well as everyone else. :)

Thank you Brian for the info! That must be good stuff but very expensive! 1.2 oz costs 10 British Pound as compared to Brineshrimp Direct price of 2.5 oz for US$6. Most likely will give it a try.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back