Mysis keeps floating

thegrilledcheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I feed freeze dried mysis, and it just won't sink, I've resorted to keeping my powerheads on when I feed, but I end up wasting alot of mysis, anyone got any ideas on how to get it to sink?

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak it in garlic for a couple of minutes and it should sink. I prefer the frozen mysis, "PE Mysis" is some of the best around and is sold at AC.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I soak the mysis is garlic? Does it do something?

Not garlic as in the garlic you'll find in the cupboard in the kitchen there are garlic supplements for fish, for example I use "Garlic Power" by Brightwells. I feed it maybe once or twice a week. Garlic is thought to help boost the fishes immune system making them less likely to get ich and the like. It also acts as an attractant to finicky fish or new arrivals. Some people even soak baits in it for fishing.

Last edited:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, it floats as it is. You need to soak it in something. Garlic is good for fish, or you could just use tank water or some other enrichment. Feel free to use your imagination on what you soak it with. :)

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave my powerheads on when I feed. The fish love to chase the food. Dont make your fish lazy. :wink:

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave my powerheads on when I feed. The fish love to chase the food. Dont make your fish lazy. :wink:

I use to leave them on, but the only way I can make sure that food makes it to the bottom for my yasha goby is to put them into feed mode. But that's only when I feed frozen, I've never seen him eat pellets.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried turning the power heads off to feed ... once. thinking it would let a timid fish eat. NOPE. Tangs slurped everything down and begged for more. I now let them chase.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to make my own garlic juice today.. I smashed and smashed, and my butting board got barely wet

You need a press to do it. Like how they make olive oil with. Or i guess a juicer would work. If youre trying to get the.benefits of garlic to your fish you can just mince very fine using a garlic press or food processor or even with a knife although that takes a while and just mix with the food and feed them. If u want the garlic for the smell and taste to get fish to eat then just mince and let soak in water with the fish food for at least a cpl hours preferably overnight and feed.

Last edited:

MaidOfDishonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power head on yes I thank it makes the fish feel more natural having to "chase"it's food

I agree. I use PE Mysis and keep the, well do you call it a powerhead in a nano??, I keep it running and watching the fish eat is my FAVORITE thing ever. Especially the clowns. They're hilarious. My husband isn't allowed to feed them without me there to watch.

Kate

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am reviving an ancient thread which is over 10 years old, but since I couldn't find a better answer anywhere, decided to post. I have always found it difficult to feed freeze-dried food, because it won't sink and would soon be drawn into the sump. Last night I stumbled upon this video on rehydration. He is doing exactly what I was thinking to try. Freeze dried stuff floats because there is a lot of air trapped inside the pores, that will not come out easily. We can drive it out by applying vacuum, and when we release it, the water will be pushed into these pores by the atmospheric pressure. He mentioned one point from his experience, which I find important: mix little water, or the stuff will become mushy - I would have tried plenty of water if I tried it myself. Anyway, I am planning to get a small 12V vacuum pump from Kamoer, only about $13 on Amazon. I will need to come up with a container in which I can apply vacuum. I am thinking of using plastic tubes that are used for centrifuging stuff - they are small and airtight. Any other ideas on this?

drblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. I have soaked my freeze dried food for hours and it still won't sink. I've seen that video before. I am hesitant to go out and buy that vacuum pump as the video maker doesn't show the food will actually sink. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through. Has anyone tried the vacuum pump method. Does it work?

How did your experiment go?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back