Mysis shrimp care

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! This is a topic about feeding a freshwater fish, but I posted here because it involves live mysis shrimp. Anyhow, I am thinking of getting some Microphis deocata pipefishes, which - like their saltwater counterparts - require live food. Normally that live food would be baby brine shrimp, enriched several times a week; HOWEVER, on vacations and/or as a supplement I was going to feed mysis shrimp. My plan for keeping the mysids would be to have a 5 gallon unheated aquarium with an airstone going and 200 mysids. Every day I was going to feed them some powdered fry food (golden pearls maybe?) and take a few out to feed the pipefishes; once a week I would do a 20% water change. Would this work well? Thanks :)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never been able to keep mysis shrimp so unfortunately can’t help much.
Both times I tried they ended up eating each other...

I will say that a powdered food may not be enough. The place I got my starter culture from online advised feeding live brine shrimp up to several times a day - I didn’t follow that advice.

Good luck and pls document if this works out!

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer! Guess that might not work...thanks for the heads up, though

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
We've collected some mysis from the Swedish west coast and kept in a tank connected to a cold water saltwater system(12C) at work(public aquaria). Like said above, they might eat each other, but the adult mostly feed on the juveniles. So try to keep them separated.
We've also tried to breed them. Collected pregnant females and put them in small containers and removed the adult after the eggs hatched. This worked okey, but we didn't get many juveniles in each batch. So it requires a lot of work to get some quantity:)
We feed with mostly newly hatched artemia, and some frozen artemia.

Don't know exactly what species we had, there are a lot of mysis species:)

Good luck!

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
We've collected some mysis from the Swedish west coast and kept in a tank connected to a cold water saltwater system(12C) at work(public aquaria). Like said above, they might eat each other, but the adult mostly feed on the juveniles. So try to keep them separated.
We've also tried to breed them. Collected pregnant females and put them in small containers and removed the adult after the eggs hatched. This worked okey, but we didn't get many juveniles in each batch. So it requires a lot of work to get some quantity:)
We feed with mostly newly hatched artemia, and some frozen artemia.

Don't know exactly what species we had, there are a lot of mysis species:)

Good luck!

So...do adult mysis eat each other? And can I feed dead foods? This won't work if they need live foods because my brother does not want to hatch brine shrimp.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...do adult mysis eat each other? And can I feed dead foods? This won't work if they need live foods because my brother does not want to hatch brine shrimp.

I can't promise they won't eat each other, but if you keep them not to dense and keep them well fed I think the adult might leave each other be. At least the ones we've had.

I don't think they are that picky with food. Just try some different dry food and see how it goes. Or maybe frozen artemia.

I've seen an article where someone found peanut butter being great food for jellyfish, so you never know :)

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! This is a topic about feeding a freshwater fish, but I posted here because it involves live mysis shrimp. Anyhow, I am thinking of getting some Microphis deocata pipefishes, which - like their saltwater counterparts - require live food. Normally that live food would be baby brine shrimp, enriched several times a week; HOWEVER, on vacations and/or as a supplement I was going to feed mysis shrimp. My plan for keeping the mysids would be to have a 5 gallon unheated aquarium with an airstone going and 200 mysids. Every day I was going to feed them some powdered fry food (golden pearls maybe?) and take a few out to feed the pipefishes; once a week I would do a 20% water change. Would this work well? Thanks :)

This could work. I culture brine shrimp and copepods in unheated 1 gallon containers with an air pump bubbling in the water. I feed them phytoplankton, spirulina powder (Amazon), and Micronized coral food such as BRS Reef Chili.

Cultures do best feeding at least one time per day. Be sure to cycle the water by adding bacteria such as BiroSpira.

Back