Mysterious red antennae on zoa frag

madmazda86

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2025
Messages
42
Reaction score
51
Location
Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000024119.jpg

It's not aiptasia... They are dark red in colour. Tried searching and couldn't find examples of similar. What do you think?
 
Definitely an algae. Probably a red type IMO.

Let it grow out if you're curious....it'll be easier to ID as it grows.

PhycoKey might help. (https://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/phycokey.htm)

If you're not that curious, this is the best time to remove an algae that you don't want to spread. Reach in and pluck it from the rock.
 
I'm very curious! It is a slooow grower so I can wait 😂 Based on the phycokey website I think it's Dumontia. Very cool!! I will bookmark that site. Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new