Mystery crab

seefour5

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2023
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work today we had a crab come in that nobody can identify. We got it in a batch of emerald crabs, and it was labeled as a black emerald crab despite it not being one. Any ideas what it could be?

IMG_1199.jpeg IMG_1201.jpeg IMG_1202.jpeg
 
Looks very cool! Hopefully reef safe. Sorry I can’t be of help with the ID.
 
It's definitely a Mithraculus species, but not one I've ever seen. Most likely safe, it has the same spoon shaped claw tips as the emeralds.
 
I believe it’s a banded clinging crab! Mithras Sculptus, according to someone on Reddit. Patterning on the carapace looks the same. Thanks for the help everyone!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new