Mystery emerald deaths

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had 3 emerald deaths in my 10g office tank. The first two came from my first ReefCleaners shipments, and now one of the replacement 2 died. This time, I found it pretty early and was able to inspect.

Warning: sad photos upcoming.

I found the body with a cerith attached to it. Both of the emeralds have been active cleaners, so I don't think it is starvation--the most recent on that died arrived in June.

I didn't see any evidence of traumatic injury. I have observed the two emralds fighting occasionally, and sometimes the green porcelain crab would attack them if they got too close. But no injuries I could tell:

IMG_20220715_122907105_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220715_122931746_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220715_122924546_HDR.jpg

I wasn't able to do tests before I left the office, but the tank has been testing at NO3 ~2-5ppm (supplemented occasionally with NeoNitro), and PO4 high at ~O.5ppm, up to 1.0ppm, even while running Phosguard. Alk swings a bit--try to keep it in the 8.5-9 dKh range, but the tank eats up 1-2dKh per day, so I add All-For-Reef. Ca hovers at 490-500ppm and Mg is over 1600ppm, roughly 1630-1660 range.

Any ideas? The tank has a small gorilla crab in it, which is around the same size as the emeralds if not a bit smaller. There might be some strange worms in there too. I know there was a eunice at some point, but I haven't seen it in months (unlike my Evo, which is a horror movie at night). Other inhabitants: 2x sexy shrimp, RFAs, corals, crocea clam, spotted nem crab, green porcelain crab, pom pom crab, variety of snails, purple firefish and tailspot blenny, and a lettuce nudibranch.

What are some of the possible causes of death? If it was a one-off, I'd be less concerned, but this is three emerald deaths now--and the pom pom crab, spotted nem crab and green porcelain crab have been doing fine since January.

Thanks!

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I run Rox carbon, purigen and phosguard in the AIO. Salinity pretty stable at 1.026. The purigen is annoying because some of the granules get out of the fine mesh baggies and into circulation. Anyone think an ICP test is necessary? I heard PhosGuard can leach Aluminum.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also, I run Rox carbon, purigen and phosguard in the AIO. Salinity pretty stable at 1.026. The purigen is annoying because some of the granules get out of the fine mesh baggies and into circulation. Anyone think an ICP test is necessary? I heard PhosGuard can leach Aluminum.
If it ingested any of the granules, a possibility of that. They are sensitive to high nitrate, low calcium and high water temperatures.
Some algaes May contain low level toxins and can also take them down. Starvation is a big one with mithraz crab deaths.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it ingested any of the granules, a possibility of that. They are sensitive to high nitrate, low calcium and high water temperatures.
Some algaes May contain low level toxins and can also take them down. Starvation is a big one with mithraz crab deaths.

High magnesium can be hard on inverts

Thanks! I might stop using Purigen or get them in premade packets that don't leak.

Re: high Mg levels, I'm not sure how to change that without changing the salt (HW) which starts quite high. So far, daily AFR dosing hasn't risen the Ca/Mg from where it was before.

Would a long acclimation period slowly raising Mg help the crabs? They didn't die quickly (survived a couple of weeks), and I don't know how quickly high Mg (or other water column elements) would kill them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I might stop using Purigen or get them in premade packets that don't leak.

Re: high Mg levels, I'm not sure how to change that without changing the salt (HW) which starts quite high. So far, daily AFR dosing hasn't risen the Ca/Mg from where it was before.

Would a long acclimation period slowly raising Mg help the crabs? They didn't die quickly (survived a couple of weeks), and I don't know how quickly high Mg (or other water column elements) would kill them.
I've not heard of salt mix that comes in at 1600? High mag inhibits their molting and stresses them so slow die off. I raised my mag to 1500 some months back to fight GHA and lost my emeralds after a couple months. My other inverts were ok though so maybe emeralds are more susceptible to high mag.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Water changes and addition of mag will raise but assure first you’re not getting false readings with a second test from a reliable LFS that does not use api test kits
Many salts can elevate calcium and alkalinity but rarely magnesium which should not impact them unless sky high

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I've tested using both Red Sea and Salifert Mg tests, both reading above 1600. Prior to switching to HW, I was using RSCP that was mixed at my LFS, but I don't think that one is meant to be high Mg, either. I'll repeat on new salt mix and see what it comes in at--if normal, I'll do a large water change. Might do an ICP test too. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back