Naked Ocellaris Pairing

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up pairing my Maroon and Ocellaris and will likely rehome the Maroon in the next few weeks. Little history... The naked clown was first paired with a mean SOB blood orange which I rehomed after it beat a few fish to death. I got the maroon about 3 months ago and haven't seen any pairing behavior between the two and they mostly keep to themselves. Not sure if the Ocellaris took on the role of female as it was bigger than the maroon when I got it and chased him around the tank the first week.

I guess I have a few options, get a juvenile Ocellaris that is naked and misbar and try again. I am also very interested in the designer clowns with more white. Any issue with having a mate from some of the stranger designer clowns like snowflakes or storms? My other option is just to by two new clowns and rehome both the naked and maroon. I could even go as far as getting a bonded pair and shell out the extra cash.

Thoughts?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have given up pairing my Maroon and Ocellaris and will likely rehome the Maroon in the next few weeks. Little history... The naked clown was first paired with a mean SOB blood orange which I rehomed after it beat a few fish to death. I got the maroon about 3 months ago and haven't seen any pairing behavior between the two and they mostly keep to themselves. Not sure if the Ocellaris took on the role of female as it was bigger than the maroon when I got it and chased him around the tank the first week.

I guess I have a few options, get a juvenile Ocellaris that is naked and misbar and try again. I am also very interested in the designer clowns with more white. Any issue with having a mate from some of the stranger designer clowns like snowflakes or storms? My other option is just to by two new clowns and rehome both the naked and maroon. I could even go as far as getting a bonded pair and shell out the extra cash.

Thoughts?
At this point, maybe getting a bonded pair is best. Sounds like your clown is kinda just doing what clowns do and be aggressive, but it does mean adding a mate for 'her' may not work out. Adding a designer clown is not really any different from any other clown. There is somee evidence clowns may generally prefer clowns that look similar to them, but it is not really proven or anything.

Based on issues other have in this forum adding a new clown with an existing clown, even of the same species, it just seems easier to get a bonded pair. Which is not a guarantee either, but probably at least higher chances of succeeding.

OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do coexist well now but just keep to themselves for the most part. I am interested in doing contrasting designers which is hardly ever sold from online vendors. That was my first big thought was the difference in appearance being an issue... Lots to think about but if anyone knows of a vendor that sells bonded pairs that are different breeds that would be interesting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back