Name that Algae!

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll here we are again with another episode of, “Name that Algae”! I apologize ahead of time for the terrible picture quality, but it’s the best I can do. It’s almost like a hair algae it’s dark green and doesn’t come off easily. This is also coupled with red slime. Best guess I have is Dinos, which I had before but they were stringy with bubbles. Any help would be great!

3C73F963-B80A-4A5F-83B0-E31652D4ED3F.jpeg
3C73F963-B80A-4A5F-83B0-E31652D4ED3F.jpeg
261B6E37-95C4-46E3-8BBB-6E272D801FA1.jpeg

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a kind of gha. Take a hard rubber brush and start scrubbing.

Manual removal is still your best option.

Add a fuge can help too.

Reduce feeding isn't something I usually recommend unless you are significantly overfeeding.

I also wouldn't dose anything to lower nitrates, bc likely the algae is absorbing the ammonia and nitrite directly.

Looks like your tank is pretty far along in maturing and this is probably one of the last ugly phases.l, so.. congrats I guess? Lol

Dosing reef rx is also highly effective but I would use that as a last resort.

Dosing vibrant will work too but will take longer and you must follow its direction to a T.

OP
OP
O

OrangeFaucett10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a kind of gha. Take a hard rubber brush and start scrubbing.

Manual removal is still your best option.

Add a fuge can help too.

Reduce feeding isn't something I usually recommend unless you are significantly overfeeding.

I also wouldn't dose anything to lower nitrates, bc likely the algae is absorbing the ammonia and nitrite directly.

Looks like your tank is pretty far along in maturing and this is probably one of the last ugly phases.l, so.. congrats I guess? Lol

Dosing reef rx is also highly effective but I would use that as a last resort.

Dosing vibrant will work too but will take longer and you must follow its direction to a T.
It’s a very long story but my irresponsibility with vibrant is what caused all of this to spiral about a year ago. I dosed 10x the amount and have had nothing but issues recovering from it lol. Typically my nutrients are very low anyway so I hadn’t planned on losing feeding unless necessary. Would a 3 day black out be an efficient way to make a dent in the algae population?

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a very long story but my irresponsibility with vibrant is what caused all of this to spiral about a year ago. I dosed 10x the amount and have had nothing but issues recovering from it lol. Typically my nutrients are very low anyway so I hadn’t planned on losing feeding unless necessary. Would a 3 day black out be an efficient way to make a dent in the algae population?
Black out prevent new growth but I'm not sure it will dent the existing growth.

Like I said manual removal is gonna be your best method bc of the nutrient it will directly remove.

Got a fuge? Every strand of algae grown there is gonna be 1 less strand that will grow in yiur DT.

I wouldn't put too much thought on your current nutrient levels. Its low likely bc its sucked up by the algae

Whats your current bioload (fish and coral) and your feeding schedule? Also what filtration you got going?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back