Nano Algae Scrubber

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi! I would love some advice on where to look or what to get to make a nano algae scrubber. My display is 12g and sump is 10g.

Thanks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag float it pretty standard , they make a small version.
Tunze makes a nano scraper. Very good.
There’s one called the flipper. That’s also quite good.
Most aquarium supply stores carry them. Marine depot , BRS, dr fosters and smith. Amazon may also carry them

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag float it pretty standard , they make a small version.
Tunze makes a nano scraper. Very good.
There’s one called the flipper. That’s also quite good.
Most aquarium supply stores carry them. Marine depot , BRS, dr fosters and smith. Amazon may also carry them

Think she means an actual "scrubber" the kind that grows algae.

I think you are going to have to youtube and do some research to make a DIY one. It might be easier to make an algae reactor instead.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might talk to the guys @clearwaterscrubbers. Maybe you could run their CW-100 with a shorter photo period or cut down the screen?

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a AS for my Red Sea Reefer Nano (21 gal) from a Tfal acrylic storage bin a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe a mesh screen (for kniting I believe) a grow light and a Maxijet powerhead. Just drilled a few holes with a reg hole saw, just have to go slow. Taped off where I wanted the light to shine thorugh and painted the outside black.

ahv4GnIE_o.jpg

Oi3mE3kY_o.jpg

PmEzwJLF_o.jpg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you have a refugium why are you considering additional filtration?

You could definitely use that reactor to make a cheato version. Most people use LED strings that wrap around the reactor body just be cautious of heat.

Here is a good article thats a little old but still applies for the most part.
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/08/31/chaetomorpha-reactor/

Edit: The DIY Scrubber in the post above me looks sweet.

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if you have a refugium why are you considering additional filtration?

You could definitely use that reactor to make a cheato version. Most people use LED strings that wrap around the reactor body just be cautious of heat.

Here is a good article thats a little old but still applies for the most part.
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/08/31/chaetomorpha-reactor/

Edit: The DIY Scrubber in the post above me looks sweet.

I have caprula and chaeto in my refugium and would like to seperate it in the first place. I also battle with phosphates due to high bioload. This looks easy! And all I would need is the led string lights. Is is as effective as an algae scrubber?

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caprula and chaeto in my refugium and would like to seperate it in the first place. I also battle with phosphates due to high bioload. This looks easy! And all I would need is the led string lights. Is is as effective as an algae scrubber?
5050 Super Bright Aquarium Coral LED Strip Light 5M 300LEDs/spool Waterproof LED Plant Grow String Lights DC 12V Blue + Red Color String light (Red:Blue = 3:1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1DAZH8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZGLEAbMC622NN

These lights correct?

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so the macro scrubbers are not as efficient as your green hair algae scrubbers. For your size, I'd look at 302 Aquatics or Santamonica scrubbers.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are pretty similar in terms of nutrient export. The turf scrubber probably has an edge in that its sturdier.

The bonus of the reactor in this case I think would be its a cheaper option if all you need is the lights and you already have Chaeto in your sump.
Make sure you don't run the lights without the pump pushing water through, you don't want to heat up the reactor to much.

Let me know what you decide to do and update how it goes, im curious how it works out for your situation.

Edit: Those lights you linked are 12V and you will need an adapter to make it work with a regular outlet. Try to find regular 120v ones if you are in the US

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Josh@ClearWaterScrubbers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might talk to the guys @clearwaterscrubbers. Maybe you could run their CW-100 with a shorter photo period or cut down the screen?

We just released a smaller model. BRS hasn’t put them up on the site yet tho. It still might be a little overkill for a system your size. It’s designed for systems in the 60-100g range but you could cut the light cycle down if need be. They are on our website too if BRS doesn’t get it up before you decide what direction you want to go.

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just released a smaller model. BRS hasn’t put them up on the site yet tho. It still might be a little overkill for a system your size. It’s designed for systems in the 60-100g range but you could cut the light cycle down if need be. They are on our website too if BRS doesn’t get it up before you decide what direction you want to go.

Did someone mention a new small clearwater scrubber?
20180202_133248.jpg

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh I want this! That price though x( I barely convinced my husband for a $99 skimmer haha! Maybe for my birthday in 6 months xD that’s good to know though! Looks perfect

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh I want this! That price though x( I barely convinced my husband for a $99 skimmer haha! Maybe for my birthday in 6 months xD that’s good to know though! Looks perfect

Why not just try a DIY one, I spent all of 2 hrs building the one I posted pics of and about $60 Canadian so should be less than $50 in parts in the US.

OP
OP
Becca Lane

Becca Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just try a DIY one, I spent all of 2 hrs building the one I posted pics of and about $60 Canadian so should be less than $50 in parts in the US.
I tried finding the one you posted but couldn’t!

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been a husband for over 22 years. You're underestimating your influence. ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back