Nano filter and light question

apatz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8gal Bio cube with 2 clowns that will be moving to the 75 gallon soon
a couple crabs and snails. I have a good size colony of green hairy mushrooms
couple different zoas, a Duncan and what was told to me as a pink acro. they all
seem to be doing fine. But I was recently told that I should take out my filter
and bio balls and run nothing at all. is this good I was thinking of taking the
top off and running a nano protein skimmer but not sure what light to run. this
is my first thank and it seems to be running good just not sure where to go and
the filters are getting expensive? I need some suggestions.

oh yeah this
will be where I will be growing my coral to put in the big tank once it is
setting up. thanks in advance

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the bioballs out of my nano over time. That being said, I think it did upset the balance of the tank. I use purigen, dr p's nitrate remover and sponges now. You could rinse off the bioballs to keep them clean. The only reason I'd hesitate is that the tank seems to be doing fine. I've sometimes made things worse by trying to make them better. Lol. Just my 0.02.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as lights, did it come with compact flourescent bulbs? If so, those work pretty well for soft corals and lps. I don't know if anyone makes retrofit LEDs for that size tank. If the lid can be removed you could always hang lights above the tank. I just bought LEDs from Steve's LEDs and I'm very happy with my purchase. Good luck!

DAS212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my biocube I took out the bioballs and invested in a media basket to hold filterfloss and chemipure as my filtration system. I also removed the lid and mounted an AI Nano on the back. I never had a needed a skimmer for my biocube 14 but I bought one for my biocube 29 when I upgraded and it was a waste of money IMO, you should be fine without one. Your honestly better off just not doing anything and waiting until you get your 75 up and running.

OP
OP
A

apatz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glb it has the flourescent bulbs one white one blue. My reason on the light is because they arent that bright as far as mu coral doesnt look like they did in the tank I got them from

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glb it has the flourescent bulbs one white one blue. My reason on the light is because they arent that bright as far as mu coral doesnt look like they did in the tank I got them from

I had the same problem with mine. They were under LEDs at the store and weren't as bright under my compact flourescent bulbs. That being said, the bulbs you have will grow coral. I had them and my zoas did fine, as did my ricordeas and acans. If you want that added 'pop', check out stunner strips. They are a single line of LEDs that you could add to your cf bulbs that would give you more of the color you want. I'm sure brs or marine depot has them. You could check amazon too. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

apatz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanls just looked at them they have like 4 different type of color which one would you recommend

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my 8g bio-cube for 2yrs. Stock lighting, added media basket with live rock rubble on 1st tier, ChemiPure Elite on 2nd tier. With the rubble on the 1st tier it was easy to remove & clean during a WC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

apatz01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats I thought I was actually looking at jbj cubes the big one comes with leds and a basket. Have you had experience with these or know if they are a good thank

dman612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just grabbed this for anyone lookin for a small ref im gua be running this on my nano
drg.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back