Nano fish for more diversity in mid-size tanks

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm currently cycling my Reefer 250, I've been debating a stocking list consisting entirely of nano fish to provide more interest and diversity. My thinking is smaller fish=more fish=more interest and interaction. Who is running a setup like this, and what are your thoughts and lessons learned? Tank will have a mix of LPS and SPS.

Let's see some reef-safe stocking lists and pictures!

Tank specs as of posting:
Display/Sump: 55/10
Return: Jebao DCT-4000
Lighting: AI Hydra 26
Heat: Finnex HMO 300
Heads: Eco-Drift 8.0 and Unicliffe W-25
Skimmer: Eshopps s-200

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's dependable on what species you have available to you, as well as what you consider nano species. For example, some people consider clownfish to be nano fish even though the smallest reach 3". With that being said:

You'd need some form of autofeeder for the following stocking list, and be willing to hatch out baby brine shrimp every day; I'm sure there's a way to devise a drip system so you can constantly feed BBS throughout the day. The problem, is that many of the smaller fish have very short life spans.

School of Apogon parvulus (red spot cardinalfish), somewhere around 12+ fish
pair of yellow clown gobies (you can have an acropora colony host them!)
Trimma gobies
Aioliops megastigma trio
Endler's livebearers (yes, they can live in saltwater if acclimated properly)
Bluestripe pipefish trio
Hi fin banded goby pair + associated cleaner shrimp trio

Sexy shrimp + associated corals

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's dependable on what species you have available to you, as well as what you consider nano species. For example, some people consider clownfish to be nano fish even though the smallest reach 3". With that being said:

You'd need some form of autofeeder for the following stocking list, and be willing to hatch out baby brine shrimp every day; I'm sure there's a way to devise a drip system so you can constantly feed BBS throughout the day. The problem, is that many of the smaller fish have very short life spans.

School of Apogon parvulus (red spot cardinalfish), somewhere around 12+ fish
pair of yellow clown gobies (you can have an acropora colony host them!)
Trimma gobies
Aioliops megastigma trio
Endler's livebearers (yes, they can live in saltwater if acclimated properly)
Bluestripe pipefish trio
Hi fin banded goby pair + associated cleaner shrimp trio

Sexy shrimp + associated corals
I had a yellow clown goby years ago in a nano, and he LOVED the acro. A yellow clown is definitely on the list. Going to look into some of the others! Thanks!

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the tank while its cycling

PXL_20201113_012707913.jpg

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish yet?
I bought the whole setup from a guy who was moving, so I have all that livestock. Was letting the tank mini-cycle first, since I replaced the sandbed. All the liverock stayed wet. There's a goyal gramma, false perc, picasso, fireball angel, and a yellow tang that I'm going to re-home. He's too big for a 250, in my opinion. I'll probably re-home the false perc, too. It's a bully. I'd rather have quite a few more smaller fish. Had a scarlet skunk cleaner, but he's since become guillotined in the wavemaker.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am running a tank like you described. Mine is a 56 gallon column with a 30 gallon fuge/20 gallon sump in the basement.

Currently my display has 2 pajama cardinal fish, 2 green Citron gobies, a barnacle blenny, a baby occellaris clownfish, a firefish goby, a royal gramma, 5 yellow tail damsels and a tomini tang for a total of 14 fish. I adore the barnacle blenny and would love 3-4 more.

I chose mostly peaceful and moderately peaceful fish and the tank is soothing and harmonious. I love the constant movement and splashes of color. This is my favorite of the tanks that I have set up.

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am running a tank like you described. Mine is a 56 gallon column with a 30 gallon fuge/20 gallon sump in the basement.

Currently my display has 2 pajama cardinal fish, 2 green Citron gobies, a barnacle blenny, a baby occellaris clownfish, a firefish goby, a royal gramma, 5 yellow tail damsels and a tomini tang for a total of 14 fish. I adore the barnacle blenny and would love 3-4 more.

I chose mostly peaceful and moderately peaceful fish and the tank is soothing and harmonious. I love the constant movement and splashes of color. This is my favorite of the tanks that I have set up.
This is what I'm going for. Fish add so much movement and interest. I think it's a shame so many reefers give so much thought to coral and so little thought to fish. How are the damsels? Do they leave everything else alone?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm going for. Fish add so much movement and interest. I think it's a shame so many reefers give so much thought to coral and so little thought to fish. How are the damsels? Do they leave everything else alone?
They have been good citizens so far. They are yellow tails so one of the more docile of the specie but also I added them last. Well no, actually I added the baby occy last but I think most clownfish are a wee bit feisty themselves.

I have 3 tiny pink schooling gobies coming next week. I am hoping that they will be ok, and I chose them because the description said that they school and I figured there is safety in numbers.

OP
OP
MileHighSeaLevel

MileHighSeaLevel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been good citizens so far. They are yellow tails so one of the more docile of the specie but also I added them last. Well no, actually I added the baby occy last but I think most clownfish are a wee bit feisty themselves.

I have 3 tiny pink schooling gobies coming next week. I am hoping that they will be ok, and I chose them because the description said that they school and I figured there is safety in numbers.
I'd like to see a pic of those gobies when you get them in! Where did you order them from? Or did you order through your LFS?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a pic of those gobies when you get them in! Where did you order them from? Or did you order through your LFS?
Ok, I will get a pic while they are being acclimated.
I ordered them from KP Aquatics. They are masked gobies.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I'm currently cycling my Reefer 250, I've been debating a stocking list consisting entirely of nano fish to provide more interest and diversity. My thinking is smaller fish=more fish=more interest and interaction. Who is running a setup like this, and what are your thoughts and lessons learned? Tank will have a mix of LPS and SPS.

Let's see some reef-safe stocking lists and pictures!

Tank specs as of posting:
Display/Sump: 55/10
Return: Jebao DCT-4000
Lighting: AI Hydra 26
Heat: Finnex HMO 300
Heads: Eco-Drift 8.0 and Unicliffe W-25
Skimmer: Eshopps s-200
This is a copy of a post I put on another nano thread.
I have a 90 gal mixed reef and everything is pretty small with the exception of a Copperband and it's only reached about 4" after 2 years. I adopted this tank from a friend and when he was helping me move it to my place he said " the first thing you're gonna want is to get something big". For me not so much. I prefer more smaller fish then a few large ones. I like the diverse activity of smaller fish darting in and out of my rock work. Seems more like a real reef to me. Just my preference.
Pair of Perc clowns.
Flame Hawk.
Purple Firefish
Couple of different Cardinals
Green Mandarin
Midas Blenny
Dwarf Zebra Lion fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back