Nano Nano: NaNO? NaYes? Why or Why Not?

Nano Reef Aquariums: Select all that apply to you.

• I am currently running a nano and I like it

Votes: 463 55.2%
  • I am currently running a nano and I don't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • I used to run a nano and I liked it

Votes: 129 15.4%
  • I used to run a nano and I didn't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • Nano tanks are easy to keep

Votes: 247 29.4%
  • Nano tanks are hard to keep

Votes: 152 18.1%
  • I want to keep a nano again

Votes: 110 13.1%
  • I will never keep a nano again

Votes: 42 5.0%
  • I am undecided on nano reefs

Votes: 78 9.3%
  • I have never kept a nano

Votes: 153 18.2%

• Total voters

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to clarify, my response. I currently have a 40 gallon nano (size of DT), total system volume is around 63 gallons. This project, which is my first Salt Water tank, started as a smaller (26 gallon DT, running a Fluval 206 filter). That has slowly morphed into the current nano through replacement and upgrades so now it is a 40 gallon DT, a proper sump, etc. So I have only ever run a nano, I really like it, but I can't compare it to running any other system. I find the entire process quite challenging, and I enjoy figuring things out. This has been almost entirely a DIY project.

Luke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve ran a 10G nano for almost a year now. No skimmer just weekly water changes. All my coral (LPS & Softies) are thriving and it’s super low maintenance. Clean the glass, change the water, top of the ATO water. Easy peasy. I love it and I’d do it again.

439DC6F1-5021-4E11-92C7-7118B869BE66.jpeg

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really considered a nano by true form but do have a 29 gallon biocube chock full of goodies. SPS growing and encrusting, LPS doing the same. A bunch of zoanthids and palythoa as well. Short little video of how things look currently. Quick video and some links to some goodies I have growing in this tank.

Click This Link For Video

Instagram

Last edited:

SPS_ONLY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank information
  • ADA 17 Gallon up for 2 months
  • Running only canister filter, no sump or refugium
  • No doser, no ATO
I think a nano tank is relatively easy to maintain. In my opinion, there is really no challenges here, mind that I am only keeping LPS in this nano tank. Only hassle is to remember to perform top offs since I am keeping this setup pretty simple.
Aquarium.jpg

Photosynthetic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hobby started with a 10g IM Nuvo. I outgrew it in 6 months and upgraded, but turned the 10g into a zoa tank that thrived for the next two years
20190626_093402.jpg

20190627_165204.jpg

20190809_164646.jpg

It was always a relatively easy proposition to keep it looking stunning. But all good things must come to and end and a few months ago I tore it down, sold off the rocks and rebooted into an lps tank. Nanos may be hard but it's a ton of fun being able to fix anything with a 5 gallon bucket and reset at the drop of a hat. Here it is on day one of corals. Fingers crossed.
20191101_164157.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a IM 10g Nuvo and I agree with many other posts that stability is the biggest challenge and requires regular, consistent care. I have many tanks from 5g-150g and they all come with their advantages and disadvantages. IMO, if you can be consistent then they aren't necessarily harder or easier (well, the water changes are certainly easier).

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 20g drop-off AIO . I like the fact that is not too pricey to maintain but there are times that I want some fish but I can't keep with just this size tank.

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so interested in this thread. I'm getting rdy to start a nano. This will be so informative
I am currently in week 6 of cycling my 7.5gal Nano. I am diligent in keeping stuff clean, water changes, but for some reason, without the use of Phosguard I can't keep my PH level down? I am not even feeding anything yet too.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently in week 6 of cycling my 7.5gal Nano. I am diligent in keeping stuff clean, water changes, but for some reason, without the use of Phosguard I can't keep my PH level down? I am not even feeding anything yet too.

Are you using RO water and have you checked the pH of that? Additionally, think about what else you have in the tank that could be effecting the pH. Good luck with the new tank!

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using RO water and have you checked the pH of that? Additionally, think about what else you have in the tank that could be effecting the pH. Good luck with the new tank!
Yes to the RO water. I used to have a 20gal, but had a hip replacement and had to scale back. :) I have an emerald crab and trochus, 2 pieces of live rock with only a few hitchhikers.

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to the RO water. I used to have a 20gal, but had a hip replacement and had to scale back. :) I have an emerald crab and trochus, 2 pieces of live rock with only a few hitchhikers.
Oh! Yes, I check the water and the RO water is good.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my BioCube. I think the hardest part was getting the temperatures just right, but that was only because of our unique classroom conditions. I guess the only tough part is getting your water parameters to stabilize, it took us a few months to get to that point. Things are great and we are now finally ready for coral. I think I will be better prepared for a larger tank if I should ever have one. I had to do a lot of dosing of Mg, Ca, and Alk before our tank stabilized. This taught me a lot about consumption, testing, and general water quality. I can't say if it's easier or harder to maintain but I can say it's fun, lots of fun!

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True nanos are 30gs or less. Are they worth the effort? Yes.

However it's not a beginner tank and sometimes it's more frustrating than it's worth.

I would recommend fitting your nano out with a large sump, chaetomorpha, protein skimmer and some media bags with carbon and filter socks etc.

It's hard. But you can enjoy some amazing creatures that just get lost in big reefs.
20191101_224315.jpg
20191101_224154.jpg

Ezreal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it teaches you to identify an issue just by eye. Nitrate, salinity etc.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really consider my 23 gallon a "nano" but that's what the forums say, so that's what it is... I mean, yes, it's a small tank, but it's not a 10 gallon (or a 5 gallon or a 2.5 gallon or a VASE) ... it's twice as big as a 10 gallon. Plus I have a 10 gallon sump... and the flow is high overall...

Anyway, all the corals in it have been doing well, zero coral deaths in my Display (only in my QT tank), and all corals growing and looking good.

That said, I just recently started ramping up with coral additions, and I expect the calcium/mag need to be supplemented soon, but as of right now I just do 25% water change every 2 weeks and I have an ATO setup to maintain salinity.

The refugium is reverse lit compared to the display, and it has a lot of chaeto/ulva in there. I am just now getting over a turf algae battle, by lowering my phosphates and manual removal. I'd like a 60 gallon in the future once my "rock" becomes real "live rock;" it may take another 6 months or year, but the rock is getting there. Reddish coralline is growing on it.

Last edited:

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a TMC 60L microhabitat for a year or so. Primarily to house my home bred clowns. Started out great and looked really smart but temperature fluctuations were massive and eventually turf algae, bubble algae and other nightmares finished it off. Way to much work for me.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Love my 10 gal Nuvo.
But it’s so difficult to keep parameters stable. I have corals and I dose Kalk, Kh and calcium. The swings in a 10 are pretty severe. I’m gonna move up to 60 gal because of this.

The easy thing is if something goes wrong an 80% water change is really easy. Also cleaning is a breeze.

The poll should have an option that some things are much harder and some much easier...
AD7CEADB-92E4-4668-8588-1F899883DD92.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back