Nano Nano: NaNO? NaYes? Why or Why Not?

Nano Reef Aquariums: Select all that apply to you.

• I am currently running a nano and I like it

Votes: 463 55.2%
  • I am currently running a nano and I don't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • I used to run a nano and I liked it

Votes: 129 15.4%
  • I used to run a nano and I didn't like it

Votes: 40 4.8%
  • Nano tanks are easy to keep

Votes: 247 29.4%
  • Nano tanks are hard to keep

Votes: 152 18.1%
  • I want to keep a nano again

Votes: 110 13.1%
  • I will never keep a nano again

Votes: 42 5.0%
  • I am undecided on nano reefs

Votes: 78 9.3%
  • I have never kept a nano

Votes: 153 18.2%

• Total voters

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16g AIO and its a love/hate relationship but not in the way youd think. Maintenance is pretty easy, love that. Water changes are quick, love that. It doesnt require $1000 lighting setups, love it. No 2nd tank (a sump) running in a giant stand, love it. Almost 2 yrs in and it looks as full and vibrant as any "pro" reefer setup would look.
The hate part is usually when Im at the LFS. I see a new BA coral or an amazing little fish, and I have to pass it up because there just isnt room in my tank anymore, hate that. Im already constantly maintaining the corals to keep the overgrowth down and the three fish in it along with the smattering of snails and inverts fills in the bioload quota. Thats the hate side. Its too small now.
Overall, I love the nano but options are limited after awhile.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph has been a consistent 7.8 since I started the tank on 9/13/19...
I know you can use baking soda to soften the water, like you can in swimming pools. But I didn't know you could use it to lower PH? Thanks for that tip!
I use Instant Ocean Salt. How about you?
Don't chase ph.

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. :) How about Nitrate? Do you have any good tips for lowering Nitrates, besides water changes which don't seem to have an effect on even getting the numbers near zero?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. :) How about Nitrate? Do you have any good tips for lowering Nitrates, besides water changes which don't seem to have an effect on even getting the numbers near zero?
You dont want zero nitrates or phosphates. Feed slightly less. What do you have in your tank?

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably don't need to feed anything, that's if you even are. There should be enough for the snail and crab to nibble off the rocks for a while.
I have a few red feather dusters (might be coco worms, but I'm confused at the difference between the two?) and a Kenya tree coral, that I spit feed 3/4 ml once a week in my 7.5gal tank.

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few red feather dusters (might be coco worms, but I'm confused at the difference between the two?) and a Kenya tree coral, that I spit feed 3/4 ml once a week in my 7.5gal tank.
*spot feed

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think Kenya tree need feeding as they like dirtier water anyway and if nitrates are higher that should help feed. This is my sons 7 gal I only feed the fish every day. I have 3 hermits and 1 nassarius snail. I only do a 20% water change on it every 6-8 weeks.
Screenshot_20191024-181116_Gallery.jpg

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think Kenya tree need feeding as they like dirtier water anyway and if nitrates are higher that should help feed. This is my sons 7 gal I only feed the fish every day. I have 3 hermits and 1 nassarius snail. I only do a 20% water change on it every 6-8 weeks.
Screenshot_20191024-181116_Gallery.jpg
Thank you for sharing this picture of your beautiful Nano tank.
I cannot wait any longer and am excited to start putting corals, and inverts in mine. My emerald crab is sooo filthy, I didn't realize it so much in my 20gal long, but this smaller tank I sure do. ;)

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how high are your nitrates that you need to worry about lowering them?
i have the opposite problem, i always have... i can't seem to keep nitrates up, unless i dose.

my current test is adding filter sponges into the media basket to promote the aerobic area that bacteria can grow and produce me some nitrates.

J.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube that I have had running for two years. First aquarium of any kind so it’s had it’s ups and downs. I think it has been a great learning experience though. I do have to monitor my levels frequently as things can change somewhat quickly. I do want to upgrade and eventually have a medium to large system, but I could see always having some kind of nano as well.
3EB84E6A-6E02-4EBB-99CB-B46AE5CC4926.jpeg

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon biocube that I have had running for two years. First aquarium of any kind so it’s had it’s ups and downs. I think it has been a great learning experience though. I do have to monitor my levels frequently as things can change somewhat quickly. I do want to upgrade and eventually have a medium to large system, but I could see always having some kind of nano as well.
3EB84E6A-6E02-4EBB-99CB-B46AE5CC4926.jpeg
Your tank is what I imagine mine looking like. So pretty. :)

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how high are your nitrates that you need to worry about lowering them?
i have the opposite problem, i always have... i can't seem to keep nitrates up, unless i dose.

my current test is adding filter sponges into the media basket to promote the aerobic area that bacteria can grow and produce me some nitrates.

J.
Current Nitrate reading is 10ppm. Ph is 7.8.
I'm understanding that both of these readings need to be much lower. I'm using a API Marine Saltwater Master test kit.

mimaone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Nitrate reading is 10ppm. Ph is 7.8.
I'm understanding that both of these readings need to be much lower. I'm using a API Marine Saltwater Master test kit.
I'm using a marineland 20gph filter on a 7.5 gal tank. Not sure if this matters?

Coldcloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve currently got 4 nanos and I love them all. I’ve got a 20 gallon IM Nuvo 20 (my main tank), 10 gallon standard, a 3 gallon cube AIO, and a 2 gallon. My favorite is the 3 gallon in my office. I’ve got two bubble tips and some softies in it. It is almost a zero maintenance tank. I maybe WC once a month. I love the simplicity of it. I’ve had it running for over a year, all powered by a Kessil A80.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back