Nano reefer blenny?

jessnanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here. I love the life of a reef tank so I finally started one of my own a few months ago. It is a 20 gallon tank and only has 2 clown fish and would love to add a Midas Blenny. Those would be my only fish in this tank. I have some hermit crabs and plan on just adding corals. Would the Midas Blenny work or should I just wait until I can upgrade my tank size? What other Blennies would work if the Midas is a no go?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably be fine... they are active though.. they can get nippy/aggressive in small tanks but if you keep it to just those 3 fish then there are less fish to be in his territory (they guard their hole/perch). They do need frequent feedings and have been known to perish/get skinny even when eating. Seems to be a problem with them. They are planktivores much like anthias.

Otherwise a tailspot will fit much better. They are combtooth's and will appreciate both meaty foods and algae.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your tank is big enough. The possible issues is the Clownfish. You just can't tell with them. Some just swim around blissfully and others can be real jerks. It will probably be okay. If you see agression you can try pulling the clowns out, do a little re-aquascaping and then put them back in after the blenny has settled in. The blenny will probably find a small nook to defend only.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Blenny will do well as long as the clowns are Not territorial and the female (larger) isnt unwelcoming

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here. I love the life of a reef tank so I finally started one of my own a few months ago. It is a 20 gallon tank and only has 2 clown fish and would love to add a Midas Blenny. Those would be my only fish in this tank. I have some hermit crabs and plan on just adding corals. Would the Midas Blenny work or should I just wait until I can upgrade my tank size? What other Blennies would work if the Midas is a no go?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Also glad post #4 seems to have some experience with midas blenny for you. I would have to defer to others and/or research that fish requirements as I've never had one. The new issue of Reef Hobbyist Magazine has a whole article on blennies, but no specifics about sizes each grows. I did learn there are a lot more than what I was familiar. My 6" lawnmower blenny is pretty active and requires a lot of algae. Given its size, I'm glad I'm in a larger tank (not that it helps you... but maybe some future day you also have larger tank)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There was just a member posting how much they regretted a midas in a small tank. My vote is to seriously consider a tailspot. They are really fantastic fish. Completely comical. I promise it will become your favorite fish.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back