Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job as you stated the small tanks are fun to keep. An keep you on your toes maintenance wise. You get attached to each animal under your care.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job as you stated the small tanks are fun to keep. An keep you on your toes maintenance wise. You get attached to each animal under your care.

Very true. Only with a Nano tank can one really get 'up close and personal' with the smaller creatures that inhabit a tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice update!

Jenna X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this picture a long time ago and is my screensaver on my cp, who knew it was 5 y/o tank. Great lil tank, definitely inspired me with my own 8g nano.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this picture a long time ago and is my screensaver on my cp, who knew it was 5 y/o tank. Great lil tank, definitely inspired me with my own 8g nano.
Thanks!

Wow, I had no idea that this little tank ended up as someone's screensaver! It's changed a bit since 'a long time ago', but I've tried to keep the original idea of a simple, energy efficient system based on 'more biology, less technology' (John Tullock quote).

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John is a great guy. Many years in the saltwater shop he owned I. Knoxville they kept a pico reef on the counter. Now this was in the 96-98 time frame. They quartinined all their fish before purchased by the customer.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John is a great guy. Many years in the saltwater shop he owned I. Knoxville they kept a pico reef on the counter. Now this was in the 96-98 time frame. They quartinined all their fish before purchased by the customer.

I enjoyed his book 'Natural Reef Aquariums' since it jived with what I had been doing with reef tanks since the late 70's.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple shots taken yesterday:

Speckled Fire & Ice Zoas. Looks like different morphs, but all are from the same parent:

SpeckledFireampIce2120913_zpsd19e4e6c.jpg

Superman Blasto: (with alien baby attached):
wink.png
From the two polyps I got a few months ago it now has at least four, but probably more since I can't see well under all the puffiness...

SMBlasto120913_zpse609466f.jpg

All's well in Nano tank land :)

Last edited:

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Glad to see some more frequent updates on this tank. I really enjoy seeing it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vedy vedy nice. :D

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Glad to see some more frequent updates on this tank. I really enjoy seeing it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Thanks. My main tank thread started on a different Nano specific forum, but I have warmed up to this site, so I'm planning to post more here in the coming weeks.

OP
OP
Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while now I've been pondering what type of light and light wave specific intensity is actually being created by my Franken-LED system. Online charts of the various LEDs and a PAR meter were helpful, but what I really wanted for Xmas was a spectrometer! Alas, Santa didn't deliver that thousands of dollars lab grade unit (sigh).

However, I remembered a DIY project on-line a while back on how to make your own. A bit of fiddling, tape, etc. plus an iPhone and...walla!:

DIYSpectrometer122813_zpsabc8ddad.jpg

Here's the output representation of my current array (all Stunner Strips on plus 75% on the DIY strip):

12gLEDArrayStunners75DIY122813_zps7f914111.png

The measurement was taken dead-center and about 8" away from the light source in air.

Assuming that this is a fairly accurate graph, it appears I have cobbled together something fairly close to natural reef lighting conditions at ~10 feet depth, but with a bit of extra 'green-yellow':

LightSpectrum10ft_zps6fbba5c4.png

Credits to Dana Riddle for this image and the fantastic article found at Advanced Aquarist : "http://www.advanceda...013/12/lighting"

The graph certainly explains why the tank has such a warm look to it as opposed to the more common bluish tint found in many reef tanks these days and at greater depths in the ocean:

12gFTS120113_zps6c3fa092.jpg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back