minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
e0c1d4be005c998d45b13bcfad498248.jpg
b3b17311b7efd4e51fcb4adb8ef09607.jpg

Not the best pics, but here's my 22g before I upgraded to a 90g. Ran it for two years without a skimmer, but had to put one on for the last year and a half of its run. I miss this tank, it was a lot of fun, but I ran out of room.

OP
OP
Andrew Higgins

Andrew Higgins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e0c1d4be005c998d45b13bcfad498248.jpg
b3b17311b7efd4e51fcb4adb8ef09607.jpg

Not the best pics, but here's my 22g before I upgraded to a 90g. Ran it for two years without a skimmer, but had to put one on for the last year and a half of its run. I miss this tank, it was a lot of fun, but I ran out of room.

Wow, amazing. Let’s hear your setup and routine.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, amazing. Let’s hear your setup and routine.

2 part dosing via GHL Doser 2, weekly water changes (probably 4 gallons). 3 Kessil 160's & 4 bulb ATI sunpower (3 blue+ 1 purple+). I was going to add another Kessil, but found a great deal on the ATI. It seems like overkill, but there was so much shading and competition for space, that I had to light it from the sides (kind of). I knew I was going to upgrade to a larger tank and didn't want to buy another 160, so the ATI was a perfect fit.
Only 4 fish, CB pair clowns, Tanaka pygmy wrasse and ORA neon goby. I eventually used a HOB skimmer to help keep the pH constant and dosed soda ash at night and sodium bicarb during the day. I used one of the back chambers for a refugium and used a 20w led grow fixture from Amazon.

OP
OP
Andrew Higgins

Andrew Higgins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 part dosing via GHL Doser 2, weekly water changes (probably 4 gallons). 3 Kessil 160's & 4 bulb ATI sunpower (3 blue+ 1 purple+). I was going to add another Kessil, but found a great deal on the ATI. It seems like overkill, but there was so much shading and competition for space, that I had to light it from the sides (kind of). I knew I was going to upgrade to a larger tank and didn't want to buy another 160, so the ATI was a perfect fit.
Only 4 fish, CB pair clowns, Tanaka pygmy wrasse and ORA neon goby. I eventually used a HOB skimmer to help keep the pH constant and dosed soda ash at night and sodium bicarb during the day. I used one of the back chambers for a refugium and used a 20w led grow fixture from Amazon.

I’m looking through your build on your 90 right now. Very impressed to say the least. If you had to do the nano over again what would you do differently?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m looking through your build on your 90 right now. Very impressed to say the least. If you had to do the nano over again what would you do differently?

I would be very selective in the sps and their placement. Also, I absolutely love tropic marin pro salt (what i`m currently using). I think 2 part is easy, but you have to keep an eye on salinity. When I would frag the orange monti cap I would stop alkalinity for a day or two, because it consumed so much alk that I would get a spike if I left dosing continue. I honestly think calcium reactors are the absolute best method for sps (for any tank size). I really wanted triton to work, but there are too many variables that make it hard to nail down.

OP
OP
Andrew Higgins

Andrew Higgins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be very selective in the sps and their placement. Also, I absolutely love tropic marin pro salt (what i`m currently using). I think 2 part is easy, but you have to keep an eye on salinity. When I would frag the orange monti cap I would stop alkalinity for a day or two, because it consumed so much alk that I would get a spike if I left dosing continue. I honestly think calcium reactors are the absolute best method for sps (for any tank size). I really wanted triton to work, but there are too many variables that make it hard to nail down.

What reactor would you use for your nano?

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a small skimmer, but seldom ran it. I was doing weekly WC about 50% so was never really necessary.
I just finished askibg about a mini skimmer in another site...can I shotgun one mini skimmer to two 2 gal tanks...I din't have a clue if this makes sense but I do have two cubes just unused....

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished askibg about a mini skimmer in another site...can I shotgun one mini skimmer to two 2 gal tanks...I din't have a clue if this makes sense but I do have two cubes just unused....
2 two gallon tanks? If so, I wouldn’t skim. Not sure how powerful a mini skimmer is but you might over skim in a tank that size.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool!Great advice.
More $$ to spend on the 92 gal tank next month..thus hobby will get ya either way... Oh joy! :)

BobbyOtto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really inspiring tanks in here. Keep up the good work everyone. When it comes to a skimmer on a nano I tend to avoid using one. They tend to be inefficient for nanos (poor design) and put way to many micro bubbles in the tank with minimal nutrient export. I will post pictures of my nano once the lights turn on.

Last edited:

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some really inspiring tanks in here. Keep up the good work everyone. When it comes to a skimmer on a nano I tend to avoid using one. They tend to be inefficient for nanos (poor design) and put way to many micro bubbles in the tank with minimal nutrient export. I will post pictures of my nano once the lights turn on.
Way cool; thank you O much for this.... The nano (don't think they were called that in the 1800's) I didn't bother with a skimmer; actually, I never had a skimmer on my 55 back then either, and no problemo. But I didn't do inverts either, other than hermits.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Your tank will be double my size. Thanks for making me jealous :p
Don't get jealous yet. If I chicken out, I'll crochet a hyperbolic reef instead. I go shopping in a few days. Found a ready for made stand for 500 with the front "bow" I may pass on that much perfection, and just do a 'regular" build. I need to read the guidelines of the rules on posting builds. I will check builds, look at some here and yours...I pour through this site most nights now I take ok pics so I am starting a nano build over the weekend. Nite

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back