Naoko's Fairy Wrasse Compatibility

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by gonzo256, Jan 2, 2018.

1. gonzo256

gonzo256 Member

I picked up a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse from LFS. It's currently in quarantine and has been there for a little over a week. I was reading up after the purchase that it may not get along with some of my other wrasses. So i reach out to the other sages of this forum.

I have a 240 gallon tank (about 200 lbs of rock) with a Yellow/Purple Corris (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), Six line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia), a cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus), and a Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus). All of theses wrasses have been in the tank for at least 5 months, the six line and melanarus at little over a year.

So is the Fairy wrasse going to get a long with the existing wrasses in a tank my size?

Tags:

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Indecision may or may not be my problem. R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

No experience with that particular wrasse but I would definitely be concerned with the sixline becoming territorial with any new fish around the same size as it, especially since it has been established so long.

That being said, @eatbreakfast and a few other members will most likely have a better idea about the compatibility of these fish in a much larger system than I am experienced with.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  3. Baldguy

Baldguy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Shouldn't be a problem in that size tank. Plenty of room to avoid problems such as the six-line.

Empress likes this.
  4. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Should be fine with those, none of which are 'fairies'. Naoko is a jumper though, so make sure you've a tigh fitting lid. Mine found the 2x2 feeding hole in my screen more than once.

5. Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Naokos are a bit more aggressive compared to other fairies, but are usually of no concern in a tank that size when with only a few other wrasse. That being said, when they’re in a tank with other particularity aggressive wrasse you may have some issues. Generally I wouldn’t recommend a six-line (or a cleaner for that matter) to go in a tank where other wrasse are present. You do however have the advantage of having a system large enough to where I don’t think you’ll have many issues for quite awhile if at all.
    Keep them well fed (2+ times per day) and you’ll likely see no more than a bit of chasing.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  6. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Tank size matters for sure. In that size there should be plenty of space and distractions to allow the naokoae to integrate without much issue. However, I have had sixlines cause problems for fairy wrasses in tanks even larger than yours, so I would advise introducing the naokoae via a social acclimation box.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted