Naoko's Fairy Wrasse Compatibility

gonzo256

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a Naoko's Fairy Wrasse from LFS. It's currently in quarantine and has been there for a little over a week. I was reading up after the purchase that it may not get along with some of my other wrasses. So i reach out to the other sages of this forum.

I have a 240 gallon tank (about 200 lbs of rock) with a Yellow/Purple Corris (Halichoeres leucoxanthus), Six line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia), a cleaner wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus), and a Melanarus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus). All of theses wrasses have been in the tank for at least 5 months, the six line and melanarus at little over a year.

So is the Fairy wrasse going to get a long with the existing wrasses in a tank my size?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with that particular wrasse but I would definitely be concerned with the sixline becoming territorial with any new fish around the same size as it, especially since it has been established so long.

That being said, @eatbreakfast and a few other members will most likely have a better idea about the compatibility of these fish in a much larger system than I am experienced with.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be a problem in that size tank. Plenty of room to avoid problems such as the six-line.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine with those, none of which are 'fairies'. Naoko is a jumper though, so make sure you've a tigh fitting lid. Mine found the 2x2 feeding hole in my screen more than once.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naokos are a bit more aggressive compared to other fairies, but are usually of no concern in a tank that size when with only a few other wrasse. That being said, when they’re in a tank with other particularity aggressive wrasse you may have some issues. Generally I wouldn’t recommend a six-line (or a cleaner for that matter) to go in a tank where other wrasse are present. You do however have the advantage of having a system large enough to where I don’t think you’ll have many issues for quite awhile if at all.
Keep them well fed (2+ times per day) and you’ll likely see no more than a bit of chasing.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank size matters for sure. In that size there should be plenty of space and distractions to allow the naokoae to integrate without much issue. However, I have had sixlines cause problems for fairy wrasses in tanks even larger than yours, so I would advise introducing the naokoae via a social acclimation box.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back