Naso Tang acting VERY weird

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got home and my water was very cloudy! And with the cloudy water was a naso Tang snugged into rocks and bent in a weird position. I nudged him with a net but that didn’t freak him out so I slowly moved him out of there. He then wobbled over to another rock and is just sitting there. I did notice that some of his fin is ripped and caught the powder blue nipping at his tail.
34CD0927-0983-401C-BF16-A2EF878ABFCC.jpeg

7E35C23B-A1D0-41A3-B03B-56053608943B.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish needs out of the tank and into a highly aerated hospital tank, like Yesterday.

How long has he and the powder blue been fighting for?

What are you attributing the cloudy water to? Bacterial bloom, anenome in a wave maker?

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That fish needs out of the tank and into a highly aerated hospital tank, like Yesterday.

How long has he and the powder blue been fighting for?
I've never seen them fight beside the one time the PB fought the naso over food. The naso was perfectly fine this morning but when I came back home he was on the floor between rocks. Now the powder blue is picking at him so I moved him into a breeder box until the hospital tank is ready.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any idea what's causing the cloudiness in the water? That seems like it's too much of a coincidence to not be linked.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081

Any chance you have a backup skimmer you can throw in there with the lid off to help aerate?

Carbon also may help.

How big of a water change can you do immediately?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the fish are breathing hard. All of them are perfectly fine and the same with corals.
You need to add activated carbon to the tank ASAP in case something harmful got in.

Why would your tank randomly be cloudy?

Do you have an anemone? Did you dose any vodka/vinegar/vibrant/nopox?

For the Naso (if it’s still alive) get him in a small bucket/bowl. It doesn’t matter what water you use at this point. Just get him out of this tank.

Add activated carbon and add extra aeration. Also heater (obviously).

I don’t think this is parasitic. The cloudy water is an important clue to this.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the ripped tail…I find it’s pretty common for fish to nip at tails of dying/dead fish.

I really doubt your powder blue killed this fish. Looks like it’s suffocating IMO.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive seen this too many times and there is no medication or method . . I HATE TO SAY. . . . that will likely bring this guy back. Smaller tangs at times eat well, then suddenly shut down and develope sunken belly and even eyes and suddenly quit.
Id imagine its breathing rapidly and occasionally tries to get up but ends up sinking again ?

I believe its an internal issue they often develop and treatment now will likely again not have effect. Increasing oxygen is worth a shot but unlikely to produce any positive change.
This is disheartening to see and rest assured - nothing you did wrong

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP: do you keep sea cucumbers or sea hares?

I’m aware that probably all fish would die if a toxin was released from the animals above…but at this point I’d rather get more information than not.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to add activated carbon to the tank ASAP in case something harmful got in.

Why would your tank randomly be cloudy?

Do you have an anemone? Did you dose any vodka/vinegar/vibrant/nopox?

For the Naso (if it’s still alive) get him in a small bucket/bowl. It doesn’t matter what water you use at this point. Just get him out of this tank.

Add activated carbon and add extra aeration. Also heater (obviously).

I don’t think this is parasitic. The cloudy water is an important clue to this.
I do have an anemone it hangs out behind a rock. I haven't checked on it recently because it is in a really awkward place. That is probably what my PB was eating. The PB had something red and white in its mouth, but I thought it might be some kind of leftover shrimp. For the carbon, it is added.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an anemone it hangs out behind a rock. I haven't checked on it recently because it is in a really awkward place. That is probably what my PB was eating. The PB had something red and white in its mouth, but I thought it might be some kind of leftover shrimp. For the carbon, it is added.
Check and see if it's still there..

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if toxic more fish effected, if aggression it is rarely that fast, if O2 more fish would show signs. How old is fish? What fins are ripped? Is it skinny in your opinion? Has it been eating? Any white light pics?

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check and see if it's still there..

Not in the usual spot. I think it melted.
Ive seen this too many times and there is no medication or method . . I HATE TO SAY. . . . that will likely bring this guy back. Smaller tangs at times eat well, then suddenly shut down and develope sunken belly and even eyes and suddenly quit.
Id imagine its breathing rapidly and occasionally tries to get up but ends up sinking again ?

I believe its an internal issue they often develop and treatment now will likely again not have effect. Increasing oxygen is worth a shot but unlikely to produce any positive change.
This is disheartening to see and rest assured - nothing you did wrong
He ate very well a couple of days ago. He ate seaweed, brine, algae, etc. After some time he started to eat less and less but would nibble brine then spit out the brine. I told this to my lfs and they said that some Nasos do that when newly introduced. The fish is swimming from rock to rock but still on the floor. He has been in there for maybe around two weeks. He has a fat belly but you can see his ribs a bit. Don't if that means he's skinny or not. I will get a pic of him in white light.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the usual spot. I think it melted.

A big water change will probably need to happen in short order.
He ate very well a couple of days ago. He ate seaweed, brine, algae, etc. After some time he started to eat less and less but would nibble brine then spit out the brine. I told this to my lfs and they said that some Nasos do that when newly introduced. The fish is swimming from rock to rock but still on the floor. He has been in there for maybe around two weeks. He has a fat belly but you can see his ribs a bit. Don't if that means he's skinny or not. I will get a pic of him in white light.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back