JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Test numbers can help too.
Whoops! Didn't see this
I tested yesterday so they should be up to date. I'm going to have to test Phos and Nitrate again after the anemone melting though.

Parameters:
Nitrate 1ppm
Phosphate .28ppm
Calcium 460ppm
Alkalinity 8.3 dKH
Magnesium 1290

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not in the usual spot. I think it melted.

He ate very well a couple of days ago. He ate seaweed, brine, algae, etc. After some time he started to eat less and less but would nibble brine then spit out the brine. I told this to my lfs and they said that some Nasos do that when newly introduced. The fish is swimming from rock to rock but still on the floor. He has been in there for maybe around two weeks. He has a fat belly but you can see his ribs a bit. Don't if that means he's skinny or not. I will get a pic of him in white light.
As I described- he is doing those behaviors and yes, rejecting food before falling down
Diet was minimal but not the cause.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Whoops! Didn't see this
I tested yesterday so they should be up to date. I'm going to have to test Phos and Nitrate again after the anemone melting though.

Parameters:
Nitrate 1ppm
Phosphate .28ppm
Calcium 460ppm
Alkalinity 8.3 dKH
Magnesium 1290
Pho’s is a bit high
You want <.04

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look horribly skinny. Anything obvious is just that little bit of fin. Imo it usually takes longer for this reason and is usually obvious. I can agree though with some new fish that looked fine and fat. In my experience some have happened that way with new fish. Phosphate is not high.

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got one as well with a minor pinch in his belly. Nothing crazy but have flooded the tank with spirulina brine, mysis, nori sheets, kelp flakes etc and he started to eat everything after about a week or so. I would say maybe a qt tank if the rest of the fish are ok. No aggression from other fish to add to his stress.

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently got one as well with a minor pinch in his belly. Nothing crazy but have flooded the tank with spirulina brine, mysis, nori sheets, kelp flakes etc and he started to eat everything after about a week or so. I would say maybe a qt tank if the rest of the fish are ok. No aggression from other fish to add to his stress.
Will do! I will give an update on him tomorrow. Thank you all for your help!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was the anemone. To big of a coincidence. Especially with the cloudy water.

Why didn’t the other fish show symptoms? Who knows!

Definitely place the carbon hanging inside the display tank (not sump) in a high flow area. It will work much better. Change it at minimum once a week.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ this advice is temporary until the Naso becomes stable.

I’m very surprised to see the Naso still alive. Keep it up and follow my directions above as that method will remove toxins much more faster.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish will lay fir as much as 3 days and give in - in most cases

OP
OP
JumpingFlea

JumpingFlea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly the Naso passed in the QT. Maybe if I moved it in there faster it would maybe have made it. When I fished him out of the QT I noticed white around the top of his eye and 2 small white blobs on his body. Don’t know if it was the start of decomposition or if it was caused by something else. Thank you for your help. Adding carbon to sump, media reactor, and in the tank. Just until I can do the water change soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back