Nassarius Snail ate my Maxima Clam

Blue Topia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Joke! Beware of the large speckled nassarius snail. 2 of my large ones are a 3 inch Maxima clam. It's documented and I even Live Aquaria just added it to these snails bio because of my report.

I woke and one had it's shell keeping the clams shell from closing as it crawled in its mouth and ate him from the inside. The other one also was on its foot.

Before you speak just know this was a super healthy attached clam. This was not a dying clam.

Just want to share my experience.

Screenshot_20191020-103507.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes. Sorry to hear about your clam...

I see there are other cases of Babylons being labeled as clam predators. Thank you for bringing it more to the light and hopefully helping someone else from purchasing them if they have clams.

Humanzee1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Joke! Beware of the large speckled nassarius snail. 2 of my large ones are a 3 inch Maxima clam. It's documented and I even Live Aquaria just added it to these snails bio because of my report.

I woke and one had it's shell keeping the clams shell from closing as it crawled in its mouth and ate him from the inside. The other one also was on its foot.

Before you speak just know this was a super healthy attached clam. This was not a dying clam.

Just want to share my experience.

Screenshot_20191020-103507.jpg
This happened to me yesterday with a new clam and I sumped the snails as soon as I saw it happening. Hoping the clam survives this morning. I think I caught it fast, fingers crossed!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back