Nassarius snail immediately ate a margarita snail.. should I be worried?

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some inverts yesterday. 5 Hermits, 5 margarita snails, and 5 nassarius snails.

immediately upon acclimating and adding them to the tank, one of the nassarius snails slid over the largest margarita snail(go figure) and immediately attached itself. I wasn’t sure if this was normal so I let it play it while I took care of some other things. Came back a little while later to the nassarius snail burrowed and a completely empty margarita snail shell. Obviously it was murdered RIP snail, but do I have anything to worry about with my other margarita snails? So far they have not ventured off of the rock(probably saw what happened to the other guy)

but in all seriousness, is this normal?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have been an empty shell. I have bought empty shells before with the seller thinking it was a live one.

Margaritas if I am not mistaken are cold water snails. Not sure.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have been an empty shell. I have bought empty shells before with the seller thinking it was a live one.

Margaritas if I am not mistaken are cold water snails. Not sure.
I did have a larger empty shell but I saw the snail when putting him in, and located the other shell just be sure I wasn’t crazy lol

I’m thinking it could have possibly been dead before entering the tank as it did not move at all during the entire process

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two possibilities, IMO. One is the snail was already dead — Nassarius will go after dead CUC, and clean them up for you. The other is it could’ve been a whelk and not a Nassarius.
I’m leaning towards it already being dead. The margarita did not move at all during the process and considering the snail went right over and eventually burrowed I will say it is a nassarius! Just making sure I wasn’t endangering my other guys. Now if I can keep this one from constantly flipping himself over and staying there I won’t be worried anymore

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are colder water snails and their life span is dramatically reduced in reef tanks. It was probably already dying.

OP
OP
Dad2Wyatt

Dad2Wyatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two possibilities, IMO. One is the snail was already dead — Nassarius will go after dead CUC, and clean them up for you. The other is it could’ve been a whelk and not a Nassarius.
I’m second guessing now. Haven’t Seen this guy in a while but he’s the only one not burrowed in the sand… Nass or whelk?
B1EC7CE9-7B5E-42F2-ACF0-E326AFC1584F.jpeg
AA6B2468-8187-42F6-BCF9-DCE40B60EE81.jpeg
4C974EEA-4DDC-42B7-ACC8-29DABDCB5D15.jpeg

Attachments

• BC53645D-B281-49F2-BB08-2366E71592C3.jpeg
    BC53645D-B281-49F2-BB08-2366E71592C3.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 32

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He answered the question for me by climbing up on this rock. Do I need to take him out to save my other inverts?
I’m not convinced it’s a whelk — the shape of its shell looks like Nassarius. Mine sometimes go on the rocks when scavenging, and I’ve seen them on the glass occasionally (they climb all the way to the top to get masstick), but they always go to the sand a bury themselves at some point. I would keep an eye on it and if it definitely never buried itself then maybe remove it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back