Near failure goni experience

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back my lfs tore down one of their display tanks and from that tank I picked up a nice little goniopora. Fully dome shaped and the skeleton itself is a bit over an inch in diameter

it’s the pink one up top:
9A55EF70-24B9-4351-8B6F-CE56D9DECEB2.jpeg

well a few days ago I went to check on the tank and noticed my goni wasn’t fully extended, and part of it was mostly retracted. I gave a quick target feeding and also noticed the blue goni was no longer there. (Soon found it buried in the sand, and luckily alive)

aver the next couple of days the pink goni retracted all the way. I started thinking this goni was gonna fall into the Usual Story I’ve heard.

I came home from work a bit ago expecting a dead skeleton.
Day World GIF

I came back to this glorious little coral making a comeback:
352B7ADE-E877-421F-A36F-790B91499143.jpeg

it’s not fully extended yet but it’s a start.

so who else has a coral or two that has
given you a mini heart attack?

I’m not gonna lie after all the stories I heard about goniopora suddenly dying after a few months I thought this one was a goner.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I love these corals! I'm so glad yours is recovering. It really is zing the resiliency of corals in our tanks. :)

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a while back my lfs tore down one of their display tanks and from that tank I picked up a nice little goniopora. Fully dome shaped and the skeleton itself is a bit over an inch in diameter

it’s the pink one up top:
9A55EF70-24B9-4351-8B6F-CE56D9DECEB2.jpeg

well a few days ago I went to check on the tank and noticed my goni wasn’t fully extended, and part of it was mostly retracted. I gave a quick target feeding and also noticed the blue goni was no longer there. (Soon found it buried in the sand, and luckily alive)

aver the next couple of days the pink goni retracted all the way. I started thinking this goni was gonna fall into the Usual Story I’ve heard.

I came home from work a bit ago expecting a dead skeleton.
Day World GIF

I came back to this glorious little coral making a comeback:
352B7ADE-E877-421F-A36F-790B91499143.jpeg

it’s not fully extended yet but it’s a start.

so who else has a coral or two that has
given you a mini heart attack?

I’m not gonna lie after all the stories I heard about goniopora suddenly dying after a few months I thought this one was a goner.
Yes. I have a green Goni that is receding pretty suddenly. I recently came upon the information that Gonis need more iron, so ordered some from Two Little Fishies. A larger green Goni receded some before I noticed it had red flatworms. Gave it a good dip in ReVive and it came back to its previous fullness again and it’s doing well. I’m afraid to dip the smaller, more receded one from what I read. Another forum member mentioned success with dipping a dying Goni in Reef Roids for 5 to 10 (I assume he meant minutes), worth a try.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back