Need a top for my aquarium stand.

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a family friend that made me a nice metal stand for my tank. As of now i plan on having a 10G AIO on top. its 22 x 22 inches. I want to support the tank with something underneath. What would the pros out here suggest putting under? Cement board im wondering if its strong enough to hold a tank with no support except on the edges. And then plywood im worried about the water resistance.
Thanks!!

20210827_182727.jpg

20210827_182737.jpg

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at marine grade plywood, or HDPE Marine board. I would not use cement board as it is actually kind of fragile and a pain to work with, unless you tile over the top of it.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, either way it shouldn't cost much since it would be a small scrap piece. They may charge a little too cut it to the right size, but it sure would look good.
I love the idea. So where would I get a scrap piece? Like what would make it scrap and why would they give it to me instead of non scrap

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please someone correct me if I'm mistaken.... I just want to make sure you don't crack your tank.... There should be a flexible layer like cork or foam between the tank and the hard granite surface just to accommodate minute leveling differences that could put stress on the seams, right?

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea. So where would I get a scrap piece? Like what would make it scrap and why would they give it to me instead of non scrap
Any granite yard should be able to do this. Look for granite and marble yards in your area.

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please someone correct me if I'm mistaken.... I just want to make sure you don't crack your tank.... There should be a flexible layer like cork or foam between the tank and the hard granite surface just to accommodate minute leveling differences that could put stress on the seams, right?
The tank he is using is only 10 gallons. Plus it will probably have bottom trim. The granite itself is extremely flat, so as long as the stand is level them out would be a non issue even on a larger tank. With this size tank I really doubt it matters.

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When counter tops are cut they start as large slabs like 5'x10'. When a customer comes in for custom counters, they cut them out of the large slabs. Just like with wood work, there are always "cut offs". The piece needed is only 22" in this case which is less then the width of a counter (24"). So they just need to find one long enough.

The counter top shops end up throwing away the smaller stuff, or esle they would like up and clutter the shop. I'm sure they would rather sell a piece cheap then pay to dispose of it.

The important part is how you ask. Don't go in and say you need to have a custom piece 22x22 in this case. Go in and ask them if they have any small scrap that's 22x22 and offer to pay to have it cut it to your dimensions when it's oversized. Also don't be super picky with the colors or patterns. If the first so won't do it, check with another.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When counter tops are cut they start as large slabs like 5'x10'. When a customer comes in for custom counters, they cut them out of the large slabs. Just like with wood work, there are always "cut offs". The piece needed is only 22" in this case which is less then the width of a counter (24"). So they just need to find one long enough.

The counter top shops end up throwing away the smaller stuff, or esle they would like up and clutter the shop. I'm sure they would rather sell a piece cheap then pay to dispose of it.

The important part is how you ask. Don't go in and say you need to have a custom piece 22x22 in this case. Go in and ask them if they have any small scrap that's 22x22 and offer to pay to have it cut it to your dimensions when it's oversized. Also don't be super picky with the colors or patterns. If the first so won't do it, check with another.
I went to my first granite store. They showed me the remnant showroom. She told me 400 dollars to get it on the saw. I left quickly after. Is that about the price I should be getting?

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck no, that's crazy. I can get it way cheaper around here.
They had so many pieces. All different sizes. I asked her if it matters if I picked a 25 x 29 and had it cut or a bigger one if the price would differ. I felt a little turned away. I'm going to try again my jaw dropped at 400. I asked her if I said 22 inches and not feet lololol.

455Cutlassdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a smaller family owned type shop. Not sure where you are located but that was way high.

Retail around here you can get builders grade granite 1.5 inches thick for 45.00 a square foot.

Remnants (scrap) should be way cheaper. You may just have ended up with a store that was super busy and didn't want to be bothered with a small job.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check places like Facebook. Sometimes shops will list their scrap pieces on marketplace.

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'My' granite place does remnants for $32/sq ft for standard 3cm granite: includes the granite, fabrication, and installation. There might be a minimum size you are running in to because it's such a small piece.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a quote for 210 bucks. im not sure if that included polishing., he was hard of english. Im going in tomorrow to talk in person as i did a phone quote. seems more expensive then what you guys are saying.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want granite, you could likely find some scraps nearly free on OfferUp or Craigslist but you may have to cut it yourself or hope for just the right size. You could also do 3/4" plywood and just paint. This is what I did for my stand as my tank was larger than the stand by a few inches. I cut it to size and painted it with oil based rustoleum and it turned out nice and was maybe $40 total. With several coats, the surface is almost like plastic, water just beads on it. Here a link to the post in my build thread with the top I put on, just scroll down a few photos:

Good luck!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get it cut a little larger than the stand, so you will have a little ledge to set stuff on. Granite is extremely flat, a place I worked at had a very expensive Table Saw, and it had a Granite Top. BTW, My Black Granite Counter Tops in my Bathrooms are slightly magnetic. :confused:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back