Need ACAN fragging help

Xler8n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. So i got this aussie acan frag a while back that was on a frag cookie about 1 1/2" in diameter and 1/2" thick and in the beginning it had one head facing up and 5 heads all around it on the sides.. Now the heads are growing down the sides of the cookie and when its completely opened its like a huge dome.. The only side of the cookie that is not covered is the bottom. Wont this mess up further growth with a shape like that.. I thought an acan colony was suppose to be flat not in the shape of a dome.. Heres pics of how it looked when i first got it and how it looks now. How can i cut this ot frag it to correct it??

IMG_0356.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg

Weetabix7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dome shaped is totally fine.
Just glue the bottom of the frag plug/"cookie" to a location that you would like it to permanently reside in and it will continue to encrust over the surrounding rockwork.
This is perfectly normal growth, fragging is not necessary unless you really want to.

ziggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I agree. There is nothing wrong with the dome shape. It will eventually grow out where ever you put it.

What I have done with some of my acan frags is take a dremel tool and cut down the skeleton so the acan is closer to the frag plug or disk. This seems to help it grow out better than the dome shape.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most acan frags eventually grow into "golf balls" unless they are mounted to a flat piece of something anyway.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't like the way it looks mounted like that (I don't either) - I would just pop it off the frag disc, then blast it down the middle with a diamond blade, and mount each side flat on new discs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back