Need advice in two corals (peaceful?)

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're new to the hobby and have never had a reef tank before I reccomend starting out slow with a few mushrooms and maybe a plug of zoas or a pulsing xenia toadstool gsp, then move on to nems then leathers then fancier zoas then yumas, acans ,euphylia then blastos then bubbles, favia then chalice then elegance, montis then sticks and goniopra alvepora scolymia acanthophyllia and cyanria, then nps last like sun coral, non photosynthetic gorgs

Is how I learned and alot of deaths and trial and error

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're new to the hobby and have never had a reef tank before I reccomend starting out slow with a few mushrooms and maybe a plug of zoas or a pulsing xenia toadstool
Funny thing... I have an ATO that I bought when I picked up the tank but haven't hooked it up yet. After adding the lid (which still has a gap for gas exchange) the evap has been negligible but is probably still more than is desirable for some corals. Thankfully at the moment I work from home so I check the water level three or four times a day. I'm definitely not getting into anything difficult yet. I am too new at this. So far I just have some gorgs, a xenia and a gsp and I've been adding them slowly making sure each piece is doing well before I think about adding more. :)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically I did put on a lid a couple months ago and it slowed evap a lot. I only have to do a minor topoff once a day now. I have been doing larger weekly water changes but have been considering doing twice weekly smaller changes which pretty much is in-line with what you mentioned. :)
Once a week is most likely fine unless you’ve got more than one small fish. I don’t think small tanks are really that difficult, there are certain considerations and you should only put hardy species in it, but a 5g can be pretty easy. Doing a 50% water change once a week should keep most of your levels fairly stable (may have to start dosing Alk and Cal). IMO, you’ll likely never need a skimmer or reactors, some media in a filter bag in filter would be just fine, most people don’t put skimmers on a 5g because it’s ineffective, especially when large water changes are so easy. Just try to keep things stable, and your corals should do well.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice coral and relatively peaceful but grows extremely fast. Will likely outgrow your tank in a few months. It caused both the acans and favia in the photo to regress so it's needs plenty of room to expand each day and to grow.
20210511_155533.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week is most likely fine unless you’ve got more than one small fish. I don’t think small tanks are really that difficult, there are certain considerations and you should only put hardy species in it, but a 5g can be pretty easy. Doing a 50% water change once a week should keep most of your levels fairly stable (may have to start dosing Alk and Cal). IMO, you’ll likely never need a skimmer or reactors, some media in a filter bag in filter would be just fine, most people don’t put skimmers on a 5g because it’s ineffective, especially when large water changes are so easy. Just try to keep things stable, and your corals should do well.
Thanks for this! The water changes seem to be enough for now and as it is I don't have room for a skimmer even if one would be beneficial. LOL. I barely have room for the 5g. :) It's an AIO (Top Fin's version of an AIO) so I have room to put media in the second chamber. Right now there's a baggie of MarinePure Gems but I have room to add more media if needed down the road.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back