Need advice on adding my first clam

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for some advice on adding the first clam to my aquarium. I’m still relatively new to reefing with my tank only up and running for 3 months now, but I’ve read a lot of articles and forum posts warning that clams should not be added until a tank is at least a year old. What isn’t clear is whether that advice is to ensure the tank has matured to a certain level, or whether they are saying the aquarist needs to take that long to learn how to maintain a stable system.

I have a Reefer XL 425 with about 35 small corals (mostly SPS and a few LPS), a small bio load with only 6 small fish and 2 shrimp, one BTA, and a good sized cleanup crew of snails and hermit crabs. Since I’m retired, I spend a lot of time maintaining my system, routinely test water parameters daily, and I’m meticulous about keeping records of everything so I can analyze data trends over time. I have most things automated with my Apex and have alerts set up so I know right away if something is out of line. I also keep a stock of spare parts (return pump, powerheads, heaters, etc) so I can quickly address most system failures.

Here are my water parameters:
  • Temp: 78 F
  • Salinity: 1.026, using Red Sea Coral Pro salt
  • pH: 8.1 - 8.2
  • Alk: 9.0
  • Ca: 420
  • Mg: 1350
  • PO4: < 0.03
  • NO3: < 1
For lighting I’m using two Radion XR30 Pro’s, with PAR of 350 at the top of the rocks and 150 - 200 on the sand bottom. My Apex does small water changes of 1.5 gallons per day, and controls dosing BRS 2 part. I run carbon and GFO reactors, a UV sterilizer, and grow chaeto in my refugium with the grow light on opposite schedule of my Radions. I haven’t had any algae problems since the end of month 1 after finishing cycling the tank.

All of my corals are healthy, and I’ve seen good growth on both SPS and LPS. All the fish are healthy and I feed them LRS frozen twice per day. I also target feet corals Reef Roids once per week.

So, with all that said, is there any reason I should not add a clam at this time and wait until the tank is more mature?

Any first-hand experience and guidance would be appreciated!

IMG_3894.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually dont recommend adding a clam so soon but with your circumstances I believe you'll be just fine. The main thing is stability IMO, and your numbers look great. For your first clam I'd suggest a squamosa or a derasa 3"-4" and you can keep them on the sandbed. While some have had bad luck with divers den, there warranty is really good. ORA has a nice selection as well as biota. I'd also suggest reading a few articles by James Fatheree, he has great info on tridacna clams.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @DSC reef said stability is key I seen the growth of your sps on your other post a clam should do fine in your tank, I added a baby Maxima 2” to my tank about 3 months old, still going strong year and half later, your numbers are on point. Derasas are the easier since they require less light squamosas I would say medium care and Maximas a bit harder since they require more lighting, and btw my Maxima on the sand bed sitting on a burriednrock I used to toss in occasional drops of phytofeast when I first got it to let it adjust to my tanks light idk if it helped.

7A85E253-56E9-48FA-8887-CE792DB2C7BE.jpeg

C1D37CEF-B616-4A64-8BD1-7E91A2BA6303.jpeg

Joel B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, system parameters and lighting seem more than sufficient, and I think a nice-sized Squamosa or Derasa on the sand would be an ideal starter for you. I would keep an eye on the snails/crabs though, crabs can be ***** and I've seen a lot of whelks sneak through sold as nassarius and whelks will eat clams.

Fish wise anything that is at-risk to nip LPS is at-risk to nip clams. Blennies, butteflys, angels, tangs, etc.

Feeding isn't necessary but you can if you want, definitely do not direct-feed the clam, broadcast feed only.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck with the clam. i hope you have better luck than i have had. in both cases mine have slowly wasted away over a period of about a month. one of these days i'm going to try it one last time. i know they need a TON of light. i think my case has always been not giving them enough light. seems like you are doing the right thing posting here though. :)

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome clam!!!! Keep us updated on how he’s doing. Where did you get him? How did you acclimate him? I’m just asking because I just added my first clam (Squamosa) from Diver’s Den a few weeks ago and he’s still doing good.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome clam!!!! Keep us updated on how he’s doing. Where did you get him? How did you acclimate him? I’m just asking because I just added my first clam (Squamosa) from Diver’s Den a few weeks ago and he’s still doing good.

Thanks! Yes, it's a good looking clam.

I picked it up at my LFS near Portland, OR. I didn't want to risk shipping or buy something sight unseen. They had about 8 Maxima's to choose from, and it was hard to choose because each one had unique color & pattern combinations. This one has mostly dark purple with light blue stripes, but some of the others had teal blue, greens, and spotted patterns.

I drip acclimated it for about 1 hour, and also dimmed my lights from 80% down to 40%. I'll bring them back up 80% over the next few days. For now I have the clam on the sand bed, but I plan to move it up on the rocks about 1/2 way up in the tank since I've read that Maxima's really like bright lighting.

Here's a time-lapse video of the clam opening and closing. It's pretty sensitive to any motion near the tank.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice clam!!!!!!! Looks very healthy, will that be it’s final resting home ?

I’m planning to move it up onto the rocks about 1/2 way up in the tank for more light. Just want to slowly acclimate first.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to move it up onto the rocks about 1/2 way up in the tank for more light. Just want to slowly acclimate first.

That laps video is great!! I imagine the fish hovering are making it react great sign, you will notice once it settles it won’t retract as much with fishes.

Show us that top view!!!lol

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back