Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I am Aquarian and I am new here.

I was hoping that someone might point me in the right direction of what kind of nano tank I should get.
Right now I am looking for an aquarium that'll be 32-45 gallons and the best bang for the buck.
I am looking to spend 600-1,600 dollars for the entire setup which is why I've got my eye on marine and reef as they have some really good offers on the Biocube 32. However, I have also had that same kind of tank before (I've heard they've upgraded the lights) but last time the tank more or less crashed because it could not/would not support anenome and I wanted one and thought trying to force it would work (stupid I know) I have since taken several years away from the hobby and have come back humbled and far more patient and aware of what I want.

What I ultimately want is a mixed reef with anenome setup with at least 2 clowns and other utility fish / cleanup crew.

I'd appreciate any advice and hope that I have posted this in the correct section of the forums.

Thank you for your time and kindness,

Aquarian

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum! I would go with and All In One, for price and convenience, and there are a ton of great options at your price point.

I just bought a Innovative marine 30l, which runs for about 400-500, depending on the iteration you get. My only concern with that tank is that there isn't a ton of depth in the display for aquascaping.

Waterbox also makes some great aquarius, such as the AIO 35.2, and the stands on those look top notch, however they are fairly expensive.

Just a couple of ideas to look into, and make sure to keep us posted on when that build thread goes up!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get a 40 breeder, probably an Aqueon from Petco on sale for around 50 bucks. Spend the money on equipment, rock, livestock.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a sump or an AIO?

How did you like the bio cube? IM makes a 40G that is a cube that is nice.

Personally I would look like Innovative Marine for either choice. They have both AIO or ext/int overflow styles. I have their 20G AIO but wish I went with the 50g lagoon.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just get a 40 breeder, probably an Aqueon from Petco on sale for around 50 bucks. Spend the money on equipment, rock, livestock.
I second this, FijiCube makes an AIO insert for this tank for $150, so you'd be around $200-$220 and you've got the tank out of the way, that will leave you with around ~1400 to spend on other equipment.

Jimmylinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first saltwater tank. I’ve done freshwater for about a year and a half and I decided it was time for me to take the next step! I decided on the 120 gallon tank because I thought it was a decent starting size and I am someone who doesn’t like to upgrade and deal with tank breakdowns later on. After searching many manufactures, I settled on SC aquariums from California. Their price tag-850 for a pre-drilled eurobraced tank was amazing and free shipping too!
9ED6348D-2AAE-4511-B18D-6335BB1E955A.jpeg

I had to get a couple of my friends to help me transport this tank due to the weight. Could barely get it into the back of my car to transport it .The tank looks amazing when I opened it up andi inspected for cracks and scratches and found nothing :)
BAEC233F-C30F-4030-9462-970DDA6B62E8.jpeg

At this point, I decided to build my own stand instead of buying it. I trust 2x4s more than the particle wood a lot of companies use and this was much cheaper than having one made. I went to Home Depot and bought the wood, the wood stain as well as polyurethane. I gave it two coats of wood stain and 2 more of polyurethane to waterproof it.
4577AC97-3823-41C4-B31C-C1CC01A58273.jpeg

After building the stand, my next step was the sump. I looked at the prices of premade sumps and while they looked visually appealing and the build quality was very nice, the price point was just too high for me so I decided to make my own. I bought a 40 gallon breeder from petco during one of their dollar per gallon sales and visited a local glass shop for glass baffles. I had the glass baffles cut for me. I decided on a very simple sump design-first chamber being the protein skimmer, 2nd chamber for a refugium, and the third for the return section with the ato container built in.
013668B6-6728-4F1D-9D2D-CB698B7D8842.jpeg

The silicone job was pretty bad because the tube exploded in the process and I had to do the whole thing by hand Overall I’m pretty happy with the sump and it gave me plenty of space to work with. I think I spent around 150 on the sump in total-definitely better than the 400-600 on premade acrylic sumps.

At this point my next step was to make my aqua scape. I settled on using dry rocks and decided to go with a NSA styled aqua scape. I bought 100 pounds of rocks and broke them into smaller pieces.
F5C2E2BC-063D-4616-9B1F-A2063D614873.jpeg

5EBA50FC-2192-47DA-BDC0-465E11CE4922.jpeg

I separated the rocks by sizes and bought 2 pounds of super glue gel, 1 pound of super glue and a bucket of emarco mortar. The process was long and tedious with some pieces coming off due to me not glueing them down properly. I first used the super glue gel to glue the rocks together for a temporary bond, giving me time to use the mortar to give it a more permanent bond. After the mortar dried, I used a mixture of sand and regular super glue liquid to further strengthen the bond of the joints and also to hide the color of the joints left vt
10D7AA80-F9FB-41D8-B73B-382BFDA79D8F.jpeg

EFD5DD53-66E2-4069-80D0-E08377F07C2F.jpeg

I was very happy with the end result.

2944A34F-526E-482C-999C-45CDAAE45E48.jpeg

The next step was to do the plumbing. I debated between soft and hard plumbing but decided to go hard pvc in the end because of the more permanent and durable nature. I took everyones advice and added a lot of unions. My tank is pre drilled with three holes-one drain, one emergency, and one return. I decided on the herbie overflow. I also settled in the reef octopus Vario 4 return because of the amount of reviews on how durable and quiet it was. I have to say, I can’t hear the return pump even when I put my ear to it!
76411787-8482-4D17-8AFF-ABB373FADFAF.jpeg

29303EC9-B338-4AFB-91A1-1BC687EB7116.png

There was initially a leak but after tightening the bulkheads, the leak stop and the system ran fine during the leak testing.

At this time, I had to decide what equipment I would like for the tank. First I bought a tds meter to check what my source tds was to see what stage rodi was. To my shock it was over 650! I settled on the brs 6 stage rodi and I have to say it was a good choice and I love the 2 stage di because I always forget to change out the resins on time. I had to weld a gate valve on my pipes in my basement to set it up. Also got a aquatic life booster pump because of low psi. It brought it from 40 to 105!
B0D0712E-9E50-4BF4-89CE-5FAA38355156.jpeg

I had originally wanted to go cheap on the system but that idea has since been thrown out the window. For flow, I settled on 2 mp40s for the side and 2 smaller tunze pumps in back to Keep detritus off the sandbed.

For testing I bought the alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate checkers from Hanna Instruments. Especially love the alkalinity checker because of how fast it is although I have no need for it yet because I don’t have Corals yet.

For heating, I went with 2 brs titanium heaters (300 watts) and a Eheim jager (200 watt) to help out because my house is especially cold. The two titanium heaters are being controlled by a inkbird temp controller set to 78 degrees and the Eheim heater is set to 76.

For my ato system, I went with the tunze osmalator 3155 because of its countless reviews on how reliable it was.

For my protein skimmer, I decided on the simplicity 240 dc skimmer. So far it has worked very well on pulling skimmate.

Some of the more miscellaneous items I bought were micorbacter 7 and seachem stability for the cycle, fish food, the Hanna salinity checker, tunze algae magnet and a carbon reactor along with a gallon of brs rox .8 carbon.
4C0258F8-D45A-4219-B98B-E8A88674C30F.jpeg

Here is what my sump looked like after everything was set up and running. I haven’t added the doors yet
C10E63AB-7FF0-456D-AE9D-DBE1852FBAE2.jpeg

At this point I realized I had a “small” wire problem. I didn’t anticipate the amount of plugs and wires and the Medusa head of wires next to my tank grew pretty large.
A29092E9-5514-49CD-B960-D1BD1001757A.jpeg

I decided that I was going to build a controller board on the wall to deal with it and I also took the opportunity to build another cabinet underneath for when I will be doing two part and other things.
313FE37B-F5B4-4671-853D-68656C4A399E.jpeg

2B7C5596-0A96-4B48-92BF-66A06DA77D7D.jpeg

E063CF77-7398-41FC-A4F7-E12C836D799A.jpeg

I think it hides the wires really well and I am very happy with it. I also added some lights to my tank for when I need to do maintenance. I just used one of my extra lights from my planted freshwater tank.
800E3C46-0D5D-4B87-891E-9C98013CD2DC.jpeg

Now that everything was all set up, I started the cycle. I started it by doing 2ppms of dr Tim’s ammonia and dosing a combination of stability and micorbacter 7. I didn’t do a water change through the entire cycle-only after it was complete before adding fish. The entire cycle took 5 weeks. I dosed bacteria every day and ammonia about once a week or two.

During the cycle, I was contemplating which lights I wanted. At first I was going to go with radion xr15s. However the high price point drive me away and I bought the Reefbreeder photon v2.
F28F2B83-444A-4853-93CC-8F9308817A88.jpeg

E0561B38-FA70-41B4-95A8-7306A9B47522.jpeg

The leg mounts were just temporary, I later hung the lights 16 inches from the water surface.
67273D9E-CC81-44E3-A808-789CE23DCB59.jpeg

After the completion of the cycle, I bought two occelaris clownfish from cultivated reef. They were very healthy and started to eat after about 2 days in the tank. However, one of them died after about a week in the tank. I do not know the cause of the death because they were eating fine the night of the death and the both clownfish showed no signs of stress or disease. The surviving clown was also acting completely normal. There was also no spikes in temperature or other parameters so I can only assume it was a mysterious death.
730F2F3F-E61C-4599-89AC-EF4550F34829.jpeg

After testing my water to make sure the death wasn’t because of an ammonia spike and to make sure my water parameters checked out, I decided to get a one spot Foxface to get ready for the ugly stage.
12156422-85AA-4C8B-B470-76451DDD77C1.jpeg

55662D9B-4AE1-4ADD-AB41-20F602DB5F0F.jpeg

The foxface was very healthy. I asked for it to be fed in the lfs and it ate like a pig. It also started eating as soon as it was added to the tank. Right now I feed 2 times a day, a quarter of a cube of frozen mysis each time and I also supplement the Foxface with nori every other day.
4585D323-6751-4012-9371-419C40E292CE.png

Around 2 weeks after the fish were added, I had the first signs of diatoms
A45AA6E4-E666-4358-B31B-A1E34E736BD7.png

Needless to say, it got bad real fast

F81BFA87-9D70-467B-A56C-2AA492FD6D16.jpeg

BB4C2B24-0C75-4ADF-AAFC-0D2CDD9CD2AF.jpeg

To help out, I decided to buy some snails and crabs from reef cleaners, they should arrive this friday and help with the diatoms.
09F650F1-0B5F-4B51-8050-94D10C627A47.jpeg

I wasn’t exactly sure which ones to get do I got a mix. I made sure to get some that would clean the glass, some that would clean the sand as well as some that would clean the rocks. If anyone could tell me if these are good choice for a starter cuc, that would be great.

Overall I am very happy with the results so far. The entire tank build process took about 5 months, the cycle 5 weeks, and the fish have been in for around 4 weeks now. The Foxface and the clown are both slightly bigger and eat very well. There has been no problems so far since the original clown death a few weeks ago. I will definitely update this thread as I get more fish and when I get corals to actually make it a “reef tank”

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second this, FijiCube makes an AIO insert for this tank for $150, so you'd be around $200-$220 and you've got the tank out of the way, that will leave you with around ~1400 to spend on other equipment.
That is a good option. Looks like they also make sump kits. You could get a 20 Long for 20$, add the sump baffle kit for 115$.

Then you would have a 40 breeder (36x18x16" high) display with a 20 long sump for about 285$.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good option. Looks like they also make sump kits. You could get a 20 Long for 20$, add the sump baffle kit for 115$.

Then you would have a 40 breeder (36x18x16" high) display with a 20 long sump for about 285$.
You'd need an overflow in this setup instead of the AIO, so it would actually be

$40-50 for 40-breeder
$20 for 20 Long
$115 for Baffle Kit
$100-$200 for an overflow box (Eshopps and FijiCube are good to look at)

Edit: Still cheap, and $285 is the lowest, but that's also a very small overflow box, probably more comfortable in the $340 total range.

OP
OP
Aquarian86

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want a sump or an AIO?

How did you like the bio cube? IM makes a 40G that is a cube that is nice.

Personally I would look like Innovative Marine for either choice. They have both AIO or ext/int overflow styles. I have their 20G AIO but wish I went with the 50g lagoon.
See that's the tricky part I know the advantages and disadvantages of both. With an AIO my fear is that there won't be enough space to grow macroalgae well enough for it to really make a dent in nutrient uptake but a sump would have that room.

I liked the biocube but the problems I am thinking about are places for all the equipment I want in the system: a better skimmer than what they offer, an ATO, enough room to grow macroalgae to the point that it does a sufficient job in nutrient uptake, and also needing my controllable gyro wavemaker to fit and do its job correctly.

IM does make a really nice cube that I've had my eyes on, just the combo pack for the biocube makes it a far better deal albeit less room, and I really don't want to pay them 350 bucks for a stand (that's overpriced in my opinion).

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's the tricky part I know the advantages and disadvantages of both. With an AIO my fear is that there won't be enough space to grow macroalgae well enough for it to really make a dent in nutrient uptake but a sump would have that room.

I liked the biocube but the problems I am thinking about are places for all the equipment I want in the system: a better skimmer than what they offer, an ATO, enough room to grow macroalgae to the point that it does a sufficient job in nutrient uptake, and also needing my controllable gyro wavemaker to fit and do its job correctly.

IM does make a really nice cube that I've had my eyes on, just the combo pack for the biocube makes it a far better deal albeit less room, and I really don't want to pay them 350 bucks for a stand (that's overpriced in my opinion).
There are HOB Fuge's that can be used with the FijiCube AIO compartments, and they are really well built if you want to go the way of the AIO. Also, a stand for a 40-breeder is like $100 for the metal open one, and you could probably have a local carpenter make an enclosed one for less than $300, it would be solid wood and not MDF too which is a bonus.

OP
OP
Aquarian86

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd need an overflow in this setup instead of the AIO, so it would actually be

$40-50 for 40-breeder
$20 for 20 Long
$115 for Baffle Kit
$100-$200 for an overflow box (Eshopps and FijiCube are good to look at)

Edit: Still cheap, and $285 is the lowest, but that's also a very small overflow box, probably more comfortable in the $340 total range.
I've given thought to the 40 breeder. My only concern is the look as it'll be in my living room and I'll constantly be wanting to look at it. I know you can paint the back black with paint but honestly, I don't know if that'll make it more attractive or not.
I'm also fine with paying around 1,200 for the tank so long as it is a package deal. Heck I've even given consideration to just getting a Red Sea E for that price but my concern with that is that they dropship and I really don't want my neighbors knowing what I got and I don't know if these drop shipments come in different boxes or if they're prebuilt and I'd have to ask someone for help to get a 400 lb system up my stairs (if that's even possible).

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given thought to the 40 breeder. My only concern is the look as it'll be in my living room and I'll constantly be wanting to look at it. I know you can paint the back black with paint but honestly, I don't know if that'll make it more attractive or not.
I'm also fine with paying around 1,200 for the tank so long as it is a package deal. Heck I've even given consideration to just getting a Red Sea E for that price but my concern with that is that they dropship and I really don't want my neighbors knowing what I got and I don't know if these drop shipments come in different boxes or if they're prebuilt and I'd have to ask someone for help to get a 400 lb system up my stairs (if that's even possible).
They come boxed separately on a palette, you have to build the stand.

The AIO Box for the 40 Breeder puts it into Penninsula Style if used properly, but there's also nothing wrong with putting it in the middle of the back glass, and instead of black paint, I'd get some black vinyl like they make for cars, it's a much better look and is removeable.

The RedSea Max E-170 is a decent tank, but again, no room for a fuge (my solution to this is ornamental macroalgae in the display, but this isn't for everyone).

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to consider with black backgrounds btw:

OP
OP
Aquarian86

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They come boxed separately on a palette, you have to build the stand.

The AIO Box for the 40 Breeder puts it into Penninsula Style if used properly, but there's also nothing wrong with putting it in the middle of the back glass, and instead of black paint, I'd get some black vinyl like they make for cars, it's a much better look and is removeable.

The RedSea Max E-170 is a decent tank, but again, no room for a fuge (my solution to this is ornamental macroalgae in the display, but this isn't for everyone).
See the reason I really love the idea of the E-170 is that it comes with everything and it even comes with an easy path to a sump in the future. It even comes with a light that from what I've researched seems to do really well I think it's the Reefer 90. But it's just a sit it, cycle it, and when the time is right you're set. With tax season fast approaching and also funds I'm getting from school I could get it set to have just the run-of-the-mill cycle process.

The 40 breeder is a much more cost-effective approach and gives a good chance at a longer lagoon-style view. I don't know if fish prefer or seem to prefer the lagoon-style vs. the cube style (like do their habits change and if so in which way?) Also wouldn't I need two lights for the 40 whereas just one light for a cube?

In either case the ultimate amount I am willing to spend on this build will come in 3 parts. Max about 1,600 now (needs to at least have the bare minimum to cyle including rocks, sand, tank, and my hope is a starter set for a fuge or sump IE: fuge light, macroalgae, media cubes or balls, phyto, pods, and ammonia in a bottle or a clown).

I was thinking that the display light can come later after the cycle and so can the skimmer also at that point I'd get some utility fish (lawnmower blenny, one of the cheaper tangs (that I'd rehome with the LFS I get it from when it outgrows my tank), and sand sifting star as well as a starter set of the cleanup crew: emerald crab, snails, hermits.

The next step would be (after the lights are up for about a month) get skimmer, coral, additives and accessories.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the reason I really love the idea of the E-170 is that it comes with everything and it even comes with an easy path to a sump in the future. It even comes with a light that from what I've researched seems to do really well I think it's the Reefer 90. But it's just a sit it, cycle it, and when the time is right you're set. With tax season fast approaching and also funds I'm getting from school I could get it set to have just the run-of-the-mill cycle process.
Yeh, the E-170 is a good tank, and if you're planning to go with an actual sump later on it might be the better choice (though it's only slightly harder to remove the AIO chamber (giving you more display room) in the 40-breeder and add an overflow box later down the road). It is definitely turnkey within your pricepoint though (sort of).

The 40 breeder is a much more cost-effective approach and gives a good chance at a longer lagoon-style view. I don't know if fish prefer or seem to prefer the lagoon-style vs. the cube style (like do their habits change and if so in which way?) Also wouldn't I need two lights for the 40 whereas just one light for a cube?
I like to think of this question in terms of running or racing. Tracks are designed in an oval shape so that you're not constantly running in a circle and never able to really stretch your legs/rev your engines. So I think a Penninsula/Rectangular layout is better than a cube when dealing with smaller tanks. But that's just my mind at work, not really anything scientific. As for the lights, I am dubious that the Reef LED 90 can light 24" x 24" effectively (a lot of lights claim to do this, but I find the better Par Numbers are when they're lighting 18" x 18" or even 12" x 12") especially towards the outer edges of that footprint. I generally try to plan for 18" as that seems to be the compromise point. So in that respect, yes, the 40 breeder will need 2 lights, but it will be sufficiently lit across the entire thing, whereas the edges of that 2' cube will have some light falloff that is quite significant.
In either case the ultimate amount I am willing to spend on this build will come in 3 parts. Max about 1,600 now (needs to at least have the bare minimum to cyle including rocks, sand, tank, and my hope is a starter set for a fuge or sump IE: fuge light, macroalgae, media cubes or balls, phyto, pods, and ammonia in a bottle or a clown).
If this is the case, the E-170 already is $1849 and doesn't come with rock, sand, etc. So I would suppose it's out of the running. You might be better off looking at FijiCube, they don't come with lights, but they are far cheaper (to the point that buying a light still makes them cheaper) and come with sump etc. The 48 Gallon Shallow is $1600 on the money for the full package, the 32 is $1300, plus you get the choice of either External overflow (more display area) or Internal overflow (can push the aquarium against the wall) and it doesn't affect the price.

Your plan is solid, it just sort of depends on which way you want to go. Another route could be the ReefOctopus LUX series

OP
OP
Aquarian86

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the tank I chose.

So I went to my LFS and there they had on display the Aquatop 40G Recife. It fit the budget and came with more than I expected. I've seen many other people with this tank and have not heard a lot of bad things about it. So I purchased it and it will be delivered Feb. 9th. So please be expecting more updates to come.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the tank I chose.

So I went to my LFS and there they had on display the Aquatop 40G Recife. It fit the budget and came with more than I expected. I've seen many other people with this tank and have not heard a lot of bad things about it. So I purchased it and it will be delivered Feb. 9th. So please be expecting more updates to come.
Looks like a solid tank! I would be suspicious of the included light withought par numbers though.

make sure to start a build thread!

OP
OP
Aquarian86

Aquarian86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this has been a long time coming but I wanted to wait until I had something to show. Here's my 40g Aquatop. It's been up almost 2 months now.
20220325_090508.jpg

Attachments

• 20220325_090027.jpg
    20220325_090027.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220325_090021.jpg
    20220325_090021.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 13

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back