Need an active fish recommendation

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second 6 line wrasse. They’ll fit in a 20 and stay quite busy going through the rocks.

ReGinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally say plus 1 to the fire fish. Always out and about in my tank. Especially nice if you go with the more exotic like the purple ones!

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally say plus 1 to the fire fish. Always out and about in my tank. Especially nice if you go with the more exotic like the purple ones!
My firefish was quite timid and hid in a hole most of the time. Even when out, he was never very active. I like the 6-line wrasse suggestion. It a useful fish and never stops swimming. Mine swims in and out of the rocks constantly.

I also have a flame hawk, which is a beautiful fish and definitely has a lot of personality. Mine is a camera hog -- I can hardly take a photo without him in it. He'll stop to sit on the rocks for a bit, so not constantly in motion. But he never stays in any one spot for long.

jvswan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the orchid dottyback and a neon dottyback. Both are pretty and active swimmers. Neither are timid, so the clowns won’t be able to bully them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Firefish, dartfish, gramma, and many blennies

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish is timid. My clowns became territorial as they aged. Now they have a 65 gallon mostly to themselves. They mostly leave timid fish alone. A pair of mandarins and a purple firefish. They have left blennies alone also. But they would fight non stop with any fish even remotely aggressive towards them. Just my experience with them. They are over 8 years old now. And they pay eggs regularly. I have a 140 gallon also.

Shelley

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a little bit on whether you want a fish swimming around the open water (in which case I would 100% recommend Orchid Dottyback (or a dottyback of similar temperament)) or if one that swims around a lot but mostly in and around the rockwork would be fine (in which case I heartily recommend a Tailspot Blenny or a close relative of it). Both orchid dottybacks I have had were constantly zooming around the tank. And IRL, their purple scales seemed almost neon under my LEDs. So they would be my number one recommendation for you, with tailspot blenny as a close second.

Fang blennies (Meiacanthus sp.) are also active open water swimmers and most every species of them in the trade is available captive bred, which is a nice bonus.

Midas blennies are another option, but they get pretty big (5" long) and personally I wasn't comfortable putting one in my Lagoon 25 for that reason. But idk, that's your judgement call.

The pygmy wrasses (six-lined, pink streaked, Tanaka, Possum, etc) are all very active swimmers that love to zoom around tanks. I've heard some of them can get really aggressive though, so just do your research on the species if you decide to go that route. As far as other wrasses go, I would never recommend a non-pygmy wrasse for a nano, although they do have the activity level you are looking for.

Firefish are a bad idea IMO because yes, they are always swimming, but they are swimming in place. They like to pick a spot in the tank, and just hover there for a while.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue chromis, mine always swim near the top and middle of the tank and my 2 clowns have never been aggressive with them. I added the chromis about 8 mos after the clowns. I've got 4 in a 46 gl, so 1 or 2 should be good for you

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You asked for peaceful active fish. Important to know that any fish with a tendency to get aggressive is going to have a much greater chance to be to so in a smaller tank.
Six line wrasse - definitely avoid. Just do a search
Midas Blenny - needs bigger tank
I like 1 of these suggestions already given:
Possum wrasse
Fang Blenny
Scissor tail Goby

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with a royal gramma or either a midas or starry blenny. Blennies have lots of personality.

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Kamohara Blennies that are tank raised. They are awesome. Always out. No aggression at all. I have a tank raised neon dottyback. He\she is like a little eel swimming through the rock work looking for food. So far (2 years) no significant aggression to other fish, but can hold his\her own against a rather bossy occelaris clown that is bigger and 10 years old!

MrLargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Corris Wrasse is perfect. Always on the move, a stunning pop of yellow, and can handle the aggression of those clowns, by way of speed and hiding, etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 25 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.4%
Back