nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on putting together a new frag system. It will consist of a 40-gallon breeder and a Bashsea Smart Series sump. The sump has three 1.5" drain connections, which is helpful as I intend to use a Bean Animal configuration. However, that is where I need your assistance as I decided to purchase a modularmarine overflow box, but I need help with deciding which to get.

I am using a COR-15 return pump, which is rated at 1,500 GPH, but I do not plan to run more than 600 GPH since I have two VorTech MP40s for water movement in the frag tank, so I don't need to move a large amount of water through the sump quickly. The overflow boxes that I want to choose from are:

• 800 GPH overflow box
    • 800+ GPH capability
    • Attaches through tank with two 1" bulkheads
    • Three 1/2" or 3/4" uni-seal drains (message us if you want the 3/4" uniseals)
    • Inside skimmer box- 8" x 1.125" x 3.75" tall
    • Outside plumbing box- 8" x 3" x 6.25" tall
    • Recommended for aquariums up to 150 gal
    • This two part overflow box system also comes with two lids, a drilling template, a 1.75" glass hole saw, two 1" bulkheads (with nuts), two 1" bulkhead gaskets (to go between tank and exterior plumbing box), and three 1/2" uni-seals
  • 1,200 GPH overflow box
    • 1,200+ GPH capability
    • Attaches through tank with two 1" bulkheads
    • Three 3/4" uni-seal drains
    • Inside skimmer box- 11.875" x 1.125" x 3.75" tall
    • Outside plumbing box- 11.875" x 3" x 6.25" tall
    • Recommended for aquariums up to 150 gal
    • This two part overflow box system also comes with two lids, a drilling template, a 1.75" glass hole saw, two 1" bulkheads (with nuts), two 1" bulkhead gaskets (to go between tank and exterior plumbing box), three 3/4" uni-seals, and detailed installation instructions.
  • 1,600 GPH overflow box
    • - 1,600+ GPH capability
    • Attaches through tank with two 1.5" bulkheads
    • Three 1" bulkhead drains
    • Inside skimmer box- 16" x 1.125" x 5" tall
    • Outside plumbing box- 16" x 3.75" x 7" tall
    • Recommended for aquariums up to 175 gal
    • This two part overflow box system also comes with three lids, a drilling template, a 2.375" glass hole saw, two 1.5" bulkheads (with nuts), two 1.5" bulkhead gaskets (to go between tank and exterior plumbing box), three 1" bulkheads, and installation instructions.
I noticed that the 800 GPH and the 1,200 GPH boxes have the following image, whereas the 1,600 GPH box does not:

overflow.jpg

Should I go with the largest that I can afford so that I can use the overflow box on a larger tank if I decide to upgrade in the future? Does it make much of a difference if I get the box with three 3/4" drains as opposed to one with three 1" drains? I understand that I can reduce the connections at the sump from 1.5" to 1" or 3/4", depending on which box I get, but will there be a noticeable difference between the two sizes?

This is the first time that I have attempted to install an external overflow box since I have had only reef-ready systems in the past. I don't know what decision would be best for my application.

If it helps, this will be an SPS-only frag system that I plan to have for the next decade, or more. I don't plan on upgrading in the near future, so I will be happy with whatever overflow box is best for my situation; however, I just don't know which one is.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would get the biggest one you can fit. You can adjust it down using a gate vale and the pump you pick.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine?

Go with the smallest one, but with the 3/4" uniseals or ask him if he can do bulkheads - not a fan of uniseals. Buy now what you need now; buying for the future never seems to really work out.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the biggest one you can fit. You can adjust it down using a gate vale and the pump you pick.

That's how I would probably do it as well. I really don't like buying twice, so if it's a little (or a lot) larger than I might ned right now, well, things change!

But honey, it just seems like a waste to use this great big overflow on this little bitty tank. It would work soooo much better on a larger system.........:)

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I would probably do it as well. I really don't like buying twice, so if it's a little (or a lot) larger than I might ned right now, well, things change!

But honey, it just seems like a waste to use this great big overflow on this little bitty tank. It would work soooo much better on a larger system.........:)
I wish that I could have a larger system, but apartment-living is limiting that for me right now. :rolleyes:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think long term! Many fish can live for 10 or 20 years. Corals? Who really knows? Decades at least. Clams? Perhaps centuries?

I had a 4' Undulated moray that, when I got it, having it make it 2 years was considered good. I kept him for 25 years. First in a ~50g AIO, then a 120, and finally a 150 with, including sump and refugium, was closer to 300g total volume.

JxSzhk9m.jpg

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out ecoxotic overflows. He’s a sponsor on here and in my opinion makes a much better designed product than the modular marine ones.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back