Need help 10gallon nano reef

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys/girls i currently have a 10g. Reef tank running for about 6 months now give or take everything in the tank is growing anc living well but I’ve been having problems with my ph it’s always low always around 7.8 or lower my corals usually start acting up when this happens need a fix I’ve been buffing it with marine buffer from searchem but it’s being a hassle

10g tank
Tidal 55 filter
15lbs of live rock
76 degrees
Ph7.8
Calcium 480ish
Alk 12ish
Light orbit marine led
Wave maker 240gph

So i was thinking of adding s refugium but don’t want to kill the bank account seen how expensive they are also can’t do a sump i have no room so i thinking if anyone has any ideas for a hang on back refugium or any other ideas please share

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys/girls i currently have a 10g. Reef tank running for about 6 months now give or take everything in the tank is growing anc living well but I’ve been having problems with my ph it’s always low always around 7.8 or lower my corals usually start acting up when this happens need a fix I’ve been buffing it with marine buffer from searchem but it’s being a hassle

10g tank
Tidal 55 filter
15lbs of live rock
76 degrees
Ph7.8
Calcium 480ish
Alk 12ish
Light orbit marine led
Wave maker 240gph

So i was thinking of adding s refugium but don’t want to kill the bank account seen how expensive they are also can’t do a sump i have no room so i thinking if anyone has any ideas for a hang on back refugium or any other ideas please share

Adding a refugium is helpful for nutrient export, for example, to reduce elevated nitrates of phosphates. You have not listed your nitrate or phosphate numbers, so it is difficult to say if you "need" a refugium. I recommend using them.

I find refugiums to be a nice feature in any setup. But you should be careful to size your refugium correctly. Personally, I like to remove enough phosphate and nitrate to avoid unsightly algae growth, but not all as I understand some nitrates are beneficial to the tank, particularly where coral growth is concerned.

Marina makes a hang on back breeder box which I use as a refugium on some of my smaller tanks. Here is the link:

https://www.chewy.com/marina-hang-o...MIlqHTrP_83AIViV6GCh2sxwT8EAQYAyABEgLAsfD_BwE

Simply add a chato and a small grow light (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...-Grow-Light-Flood-Light-Bulb-415281/202766841).

The reason I make this recommendation is because it uses an air pump for circulating water through the box. As I understand it, aerating your water will cause your pH to rise.

Again, I'd like your latest readings on Nitrates and Phosphates. If they are reasonable, you could opt to go with just an air stone in the tank to help drive up your pH. You may have to spend more time keeping salt creep in check.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a refugium is helpful for nutrient export, for example, to reduce elevated nitrates of phosphates. You have not listed your nitrate or phosphate numbers, so it is difficult to say if you "need" a refugium. I recommend using them.

I find refugiums to be a nice feature in any setup. But you should be careful to size your refugium correctly. Personally, I like to remove enough phosphate and nitrate to avoid unsightly algae growth, but not all as I understand some nitrates are beneficial to the tank, particularly where coral growth is concerned.

Marina makes a hang on back breeder box which I use as a refugium on some of my smaller tanks. Here is the link:

https://www.chewy.com/marina-hang-o...MIlqHTrP_83AIViV6GCh2sxwT8EAQYAyABEgLAsfD_BwE

Simply add a chato and a small grow light (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...-Grow-Light-Flood-Light-Bulb-415281/202766841).

The reason I make this recommendation is because it uses an air pump for circulating water through the box. As I understand it, aerating your water will cause your pH to rise.

Again, I'd like your latest readings on Nitrates and Phosphates. If they are reasonable, you could opt to go with just an air stone in the tank to help drive up your pH. You may have to spend more time keeping salt creep in check.

Nitrates around 10ppm and nitrites are at zero phosphates are nitrites right i never seen thag measurement

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pH reading does not sound too bad. Whats your water change schedule? do you use skimmer?

Umm i usually do weekly if not every other week don’t use a protein skimmer was thinking of an inner one but have basically no room for one

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm i usually do weekly if not every other week don’t use a protein skimmer was thinking of an inner one but have basically no room for one
I dont think pH is your issue. Do you observe any daily pattern, like ph drops low at night, and picks up at day (when windows are open)

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think pH is your issue. Do you observe any daily pattern, like ph drops low at night, and picks up at day (when windows are open)
Well i actually don’t open the window due to the fact i have an a.c unit in it usually run the ac non stop cause the tank gets too hot i usually check around 6pm and shows around 7.8 during that time

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates around 10ppm and nitrites are at zero phosphates are nitrites right i never seen thag measurement

I am sorry but I don't understand your reply. Can you please clarify?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i actually don’t open the window due to the fact i have an a.c unit in it usually run the ac non stop cause the tank gets too hot i usually check around 6pm and shows around 7.8 during that time
In absence of outside air, CO2 will go in tank water and cause dip in ph. But frankly, I dont think its a cause of concern. I would suspect something else or lack of stability. Like unless you know for sure , or your numbers are not significantly tilted, dont go for chemical additives. 10G is really a small size, and with weekly water changes thing should be just fine, without any external additives.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back