Need Help :/ And hi everyone :D

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Mads from Denmark her. I started the hobby about 5 years ago. I started out producing pico systems and my first setup contained a total of 6,5 liters in a glass limonade dispenser. It was a huge success growing palythoas, xenia, zoas, anemones, and duncans like crazy while also being home for snails, a hermit crab, a shrimp, and a pom pom crab, as well as bristle worms and the rest. The container was eventually sold as I wanted something a little bigger with room for a fish or two, and with more space for corals as the limonade dispenser after a year was almost completely stocked.

I thus upgraded my system to at 35 liter IKEA wase which I still have. The setup can be seen in this video filmed feb. 12th 2020
. The setup includes a small heater, the old version of the jebao SOW 4, a E27 reef led spot, and a canister filter filled with biohome media and carbon.

The system has been running since the summer 2016. However, about roughly one year ago the vase started to crash, which I also have a video of filmed okt. 21th 2020 . Firstly my xenia started dying off, then the duncan, followed by the GSP and then the kenya trees. The anemones have shrunk down markedly in size and I have been battling an outbreak of cyano or dino.
I recently bought a couple of test kits and nitrate and phosphate both came out at 0 nutritions, which I guess is bad for soft corals especially the more pest kind of corals. thus I doubled on feeding resulting in phosphate going up to the recommended 0,05. However, nitrate stayed at 0.
I have now taken the biohome media and carbon out of the canister pump, hoping to reduce the bacterial uptake of nitrates.

I hope it works, but I would like some input from you guys!?

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Super impressive PRE-TROUBLE vase reef!

Question for you. How long had the reef been set up before the first video was taken?

OP
OP
MadsDK

MadsDK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super impressive PRE-TROUBLE vase reef!

Question for you. How long had the reef been set up before the first video was taken?
Thanks :D I went through my old photos and I can see the vase was set up in summer 2016 - so about 3,5 years (did not realize the setup was this old :p ). I have corrected the original text :)

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.jpg

imerk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Mads from Denmark her. I started the hobby about 5 years ago. I started out producing pico systems and my first setup contained a total of 6,5 liters in a glass limonade dispenser. It was a huge success growing palythoas, xenia, zoas, anemones, and duncans like crazy while also being home for snails, a hermit crab, a shrimp, and a pom pom crab, as well as bristle worms and the rest. The container was eventually sold as I wanted something a little bigger with room for a fish or two, and with more space for corals as the limonade dispenser after a year was almost completely stocked.

I thus upgraded my system to at 35 liter IKEA wase which I still have. The setup can be seen in this video filmed feb. 12th 2020
. The setup includes a small heater, the old version of the jebao SOW 4, a E27 reef led spot, and a canister filter filled with biohome media and carbon.

The system has been running since the summer 2016. However, about roughly one year ago the vase started to crash, which I also have a video of filmed okt. 21th 2020 . Firstly my xenia started dying off, then the duncan, followed by the GSP and then the kenya trees. The anemones have shrunk down markedly in size and I have been battling an outbreak of cyano or dino.
I recently bought a couple of test kits and nitrate and phosphate both came out at 0 nutritions, which I guess is bad for soft corals especially the more pest kind of corals. thus I doubled on feeding resulting in phosphate going up to the recommended 0,05. However, nitrate stayed at 0.
I have now taken the biohome media and carbon out of the canister pump, hoping to reduce the bacterial uptake of nitrates.

This is a crisis that I have experienced before. The cause can be a continuous, slow build up of nitrates in the bio filtration. Then, you think you are helping by removing the bio filtration media or replacing it, which causes a huge spike in nitrates. I have found it best to rinse about 50% of the media in RO water (throw out rinse water!) about ever 3 months. Keep a close eye on the before/after Nitrate numbers. Don't know if this applies to you, but let me know if this helped. GOOD LUCK!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

Welcome mads,
Looks like you'll have a lot to contribute here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back