Need help deciding on lights for 55 gallon

Bham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 55 gallon 12x48. I know this isn't a great size but I have one already and I'm going to use it. I've been pulling my hair out trying to decide which lights to go with. I'm sure I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be but I need your opinion. Initially it will be softies and LPS but I don't want to rule out a little sps in the future so I would like to get lights for that. My first thought was 2 xr30s until I saw the price tag! Now I'm going back and forth on 4 ai 16s or 2 hydra 32s. I have a center brace on the tank. I like the idea of 2 hydra 32 but they need to be mounted higher and with a 12" front to back, that's going to be a lot of over spill. Then 4 16s would be better but I don't want to have 4 mounts on the back of the tank as ill be using all HOB equipment. I've heard of people just using 2 16s for this tank. 3 would probably be perfect if it wasn't for the center brace. I'm open to other lights as well. I just want something I can ramp up and down and preferably have a moon light. What are your thoughts?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can be hard to figure out how to place the lights on a 55g (yes, I have a couple of them in my assortment of tanks) because three would seem like the right amount for the coverage from most lights, but the center brace blocks the middle light so then you start wondering about using only two which may leave low light areas or four lights which may leave your wallet a lot lighter. Currently my 55g tanks are fish only, but what I have found to be a good solution in the past is a bar or strip light like the Reef Breeders Photon v2. There is a bit of shadowing, but that makes a spot for corals that may want slightly lower light. That light ranks at the top on the BRS value tests and provides good coverage for a standard 55g/75g tank. There are certainly less expensive options and a lot more expensive options, but I think it fits the "just right" spot for many reefers. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for budget check out the Smatfarm from Amazon. Lots of reefers it seems have been picking them up lately. I grabbed one myself for a frag tank and for the price it's a great light.

Noops are always recommended as well for budget lights, I've never used one personally, but there are plenty of tanks and good reviews of them.

OP
OP
Bham

Bham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard to figure out how to place the lights on a 55g (yes, I have a couple of them in my assortment of tanks) because three would seem like the right amount for the coverage from most lights, but the center brace blocks the middle light so then you start wondering about using only two which may leave low light areas or four lights which may leave your wallet a lot lighter. Currently my 55g tanks are fish only, but what I have found to be a good solution in the past is a bar or strip light like the Reef Breeders Photon v2. There is a bit of shadowing, but that makes a spot for corals that may want slightly lower light. That light ranks at the top on the BRS value tests and provides good coverage for a standard 55g/75g tank. There are certainly less expensive options and a lot more expensive options, but I think it fits the "just right" spot for many reefers. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Thank you for your input. I will definitely check these out.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just get 1 xr30 its will light your 55 gallon tank just fine. I have 2 mounted about 2.5 feet above an 8x2 tank and it lights it up they have narrow and wider spread than most leds

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran a current Sun pod 2x150 hqi MH Ab 10k and Phoenix 14k on my 55 many years ago. Grew everything. Softy all the way to Sps.

OP
OP
Bham

Bham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your looking for budget check out the Smatfarm from Amazon. Lots of reefers it seems have been picking them up lately. I grabbed one myself for a frag tank and for the price it's a great light.

Noops are always recommended as well for budget lights, I've never used one personally, but there are plenty of tanks and good reviews of them.
Those do seem pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR3 bars could be a good budget option if you can find a way to mount them. 2 or 3 should do the trick. Also many people have had success with the budget amazon t5 fixtures. The smatfarms look decent too, but I'm weary of the cheap LED fixtures.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back