Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A starry blenny will be fine. There may be some jockeying between it and the flame hawk for perching spots, but nothing serious.

I would strongly recommend a screen top for the tank, as you have some prolific jumpers.
Hello
Thanks for the feed back. The perching spots was my concern. So thank you for the advise. I do have a brs screen top by the way

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on adding a tailspot blenny to a fusion 10 gallon that already has an orchid dotty back? My dottyback is really shy and stays in his rock, only coming out to eat. I'd like to add some bioload to the tank since I have to dose heavily to keep up with nutrient uptake. I keep SPS and zoas in the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on adding a tailspot blenny to a fusion 10 gallon that already has an orchid dotty back? My dottyback is really shy and stays in his rock, only coming out to eat. I'd like to add some bioload to the tank since I have to dose heavily to keep up with nutrient uptake. I keep SPS and zoas in the tank.
It may or may not work. Orchid dottybacks are peaceful for a dottyback and 10g is pretty small. Tailspot blennies can take care of themselves. They may coexist, but 10g may be small enough where there may be too frequent battles.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have concerns about the dottyback bullying as well. I'll probably give it a shot but can always take the fish back to the store if they can't get along.

jx.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the blenny and looks like they get along just fine. Funny looking guy too :)

gotwins86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind from a couple weeks ago. IM Fusion 30L(30 gallon, 36x11x13 display) Here is what I am thinking now.

Pink-Streaked Wrasse
Yellow Assessor
Exquisite Firefish
And possible a dwarf angel, flame or coral beauty(maybe the Biota ones that are supposed to stay small)

If not the dwarf angel might try a blenny, any suggestions based on tank size and other fish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed my mind from a couple weeks ago. IM Fusion 30L(30 gallon, 36x11x13 display) Here is what I am thinking now.

Pink-Streaked Wrasse
Yellow Assessor
Exquisite Firefish
And possible a dwarf angel, flame or coral beauty(maybe the Biota ones that are supposed to stay small)

If not the dwarf angel might try a blenny, any suggestions based on tank size and other fish?
The only dwarf angel I would consider in that sized tank is a cherub. The others get too big.

Good blenny options include: stigmatura, starry, orangespot.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow eye kole tang or a two spot bristletooth tang be okay in a 60g with 20g sump? We're planning a custom build that would be almost 4 foot wide so lots of swimming space. If yes, what about both of them together? Also, I've heard tangs are prone to ich, is that true for all types of tangs or just certain ones?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon 4 foot aquarium. Had a hippo tang but selling it. I have 2 clowns, 2 chromis, yellow tang. I have considered selling the yellow and getting a purple tang. Would the purple be ok gor this tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow eye kole tang or a two spot bristletooth tang be okay in a 60g with 20g sump? We're planning a custom build that would be almost 4 foot wide so lots of swimming space. If yes, what about both of them together? Also, I've heard tangs are prone to ich, is that true for all types of tangs or just certain ones?
60g is really just to small for a tang, let alone 2. I would strongly recommend waiting until the bigger tank is set up before adding a tang.
I have a 150 gallon 4 foot aquarium. Had a hippo tang but selling it. I have 2 clowns, 2 chromis, yellow tang. I have considered selling the yellow and getting a purple tang. Would the purple be ok gor this tank?
That should be fine.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60g is really just to small for a tang, let alone 2. I would strongly recommend waiting until the bigger tank is set up before adding a tang.

The 60g is the bigger tank. We're thinking about doing dimensions 18x17x45. Live aquaria lists the minimum tank size for the kole and bristletooth tangs as 70g. I was hoping that with the sump volume included and the wide tank size that it would be enough for at least one.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TJ as well on the 60 being too small. Also, the sump volume adds nothing to the room your fish has. Tangs are prolific swimmers.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to pick up a bicolour angel (centropyge bicolor) and a 6 line wrasse for free... I know the risks of the angel with corals, but it's confirmed reef safe (I know the fish and owner :))

Just wanted to confirm the risks with my existing coral beauty and wrasses (yellow coris, green wrasse, cleaner wrasse).

320g mixed reef, other fish:
Pair of maroon clowns
3 x humbug damsels
Regal tang
Powder blue tang
Yellow tang
Orange shoulder tang
Caribbean blue bass
Heni butterfly
Copperband butterfly
Coral hawkfish

Thanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank, the bicolor should be ok with the coral beauty. But IME bicolor angels are among the worst coral nippers.

Green coris and sixlines both can be pretty aggressive to other wrasses.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank, the bicolor should be ok with the coral beauty. But IME bicolor angels are among the worst coral nippers.

Green coris and sixlines both can be pretty aggressive to other wrasses.
Thanks, yeah I heard that 're the bicolour. I see this fish weekly as he's in my friends system and he's had him about 2 years, I've observed him plenty and never seen him take any interest. There's lps and sps only though... but assume he's not going to be interested in sinularia and Kenya trees... frankly, if he is, I can live with that!

The green and yellow get on fine, the cleaner is a new addition and currently in QT, I assume though that as they are cleaners they're pretty much tolerated by everything? The green and yellow are about adult sizes so the 6 line will be much smaller... hopefully that might help too.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah I heard that 're the bicolour. I see this fish weekly as he's in my friends system and he's had him about 2 years, I've observed him plenty and never seen him take any interest. There's lps and sps only though... but assume he's not going to be interested in sinularia and Kenya trees... frankly, if he is, I can live with that!

The green and yellow get on fine, the cleaner is a new addition and currently in QT, I assume though that as they are cleaners they're pretty much tolerated by everything? The green and yellow are about adult sizes so the 6 line will be much smaller... hopefully that might help too.
Cleaners aren't tolerated by other fish that act as cleaners at various times of their life stage, and many wrasses serve as facultative cleaners.

Just because sixlines are smaller doesn't mean they won't cause problems. However, in aome circumstances are fine.

swensos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any hawkfish that are compatible with Pygmy possum wrasses? I have a pink streaked wrasse and want to get some wetmorellia. But I saw a flame hawkfish at the LFS and its behavior was so cool.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any hawkfish that are compatible with Pygmy possum wrasses? I have a pink streaked wrasse and want to get some wetmorellia. But I saw a flame hawkfish at the LFS and its behavior was so cool.
A flame hawk is compatible. While not a really a hawkfish, the geometric pygmy hawk is as well.

demonal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need your opinion on adding or making a small list of fish to add. I am looking to throw something in quarantine shortly so here's what I'm working with. I have a 90gallon tank with coral. My fish consists of a Sailfin Tang, 2 Bangaii Cardinals, 1 clown, 1 Hawaiian Tang, six line wrasse, and a cleaner shrimp. I also have some CUC. I do like wrasses but I might have made a mistake by adding a six line first. I also believe I'm maxed out on Tangs.

Blue spotted jawfish?
Convict Goby?
Midas blenny?
Any angels?
Anthias?
Black cap basslet?
Mandarin?
Anything I should avoid or you should suggest?

Thanks

Back