Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have considered the watanabei angel, I wish I could get a larger more colorful angel but I know they aren't reef safe. Darning, I REALLY love the green bird wrasse. How important are the cleaner shrimp and crabs, how do I change the filtration if I don't get shrimp and crabs as part of my cuc. I can live without a clam, for awhile anyways [emoji3]
Serpent or brittle stars could still be part of cuc with a bird wrasse. You could also look into carbon dosing to keep the tank clean.
Do you think an ember blenny in a 25 would be pushing it? :)
It can be fine, but depends on takemates.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the watanabei better than the bellus angels. So if I didn't get the shrimp etc. so I could get the wrasse and batfish would that be an OK amount of fish to fit in a 150. Will it be too crowded. It's really hard to judge because it's not just an inch per gallon equation, some fish are more active, some have larger bodies than others with the same length. I would also like ya'll s opinion on silicone. We need alot because David is going to recaulk the whole tank and make the sump. We are having a problem finding silicone that says aquarium safe. What can we use? What are the best silicones to use that are safe for the fish? Thanks guys!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd steer clear of the batfish, personally ... have you seen the adults? Not nearly as dramatic, not nearly as tall - sort of a silver-brown - and immense, by home aquarium standards.

You might be able to do the wrasse without crustaceans, but I've never worked with bird wrasse, myself.

I've gotten my silicone from Petco - I think it's AGA brand? - and that's aquarium-safe, though probably pricier than what's on the shelf at Home Depot.

~Bruce

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have no clue what other fish to put in my 65 it's 3x2x2! I know I want a kole tang and a pair of clowns but don't know what else I can put in there that is reef safe And peaceful! Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like the watanabei better than the bellus angels. So if I didn't get the shrimp etc. so I could get the wrasse and batfish would that be an OK amount of fish to fit in a 150. Will it be too crowded. It's really hard to judge because it's not just an inch per gallon equation, some fish are more active, some have larger bodies than others with the same length. I would also like ya'll s opinion on silicone. We need alot because David is going to recaulk the whole tank and make the sump. We are having a problem finding silicone that says aquarium safe. What can we use? What are the best silicones to use that are safe for the fish? Thanks guys!
I agree completely with Maritimer on the batfish. The rest seems fine.

The caulk to use is GE specialty SCS1200 construction.

Hi! So I have no clue what other fish to put in my 65 it's 3x2x2! I know I want a kole tang and a pair of clowns but don't know what else I can put in there that is reef safe And peaceful! Any ideas would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Most flasher wrasses and small species of fairy wrasses, flame or longnose hawk, starry or algae blenny, watchman/pistol pr.

1500033772430-775859646.jpg

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like the pinneatus batfish, the black and orange one, not the silver one. My hubby got some GE 100% silicone, clear. We didn't see the one in the pic. I'll have him look online.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like the pinneatus batfish, the black and orange one, not the silver one. My hubby got some GE 100% silicone, clear. We didn't see the one in the pic. I'll have him look online.
Pinnatus batfish turn into huge ugly silverish brown fish as they mature. They are only black with orange trim as juveniles.

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had eyebrow barnacle blennies get aggressive toward other barnacle blennies.

A starry blenny will be aggressive toward other algae eating blenies.

In that size tank, I would chose either the stigmatura or 2 spot, not both.
We talked awhile back about the stocking options for my 30 gallon and I was curious if inverts would affect it? I'd like lots of inverts. Different kinds of shrimp (cleaner, peppermint, harlequin, sexy, ect) along with some crabs (arrow,pom pom, acro crabs), anemone and anemone shrimp. Do you think with all the fish and inverts everything would be alright?

Fish room is setup to be able to change 20 gallons of water at any time. Along with a skimmer that's rated for a lightly stocked 300g or heavy stocked 180g. 20 gallon fuge. Total water volume of about 90g

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We talked awhile back about the stocking options for my 30 gallon and I was curious if inverts would affect it? I'd like lots of inverts. Different kinds of shrimp (cleaner, peppermint, harlequin, sexy, ect) along with some crabs (arrow,pom pom, acro crabs), anemone and anemone shrimp. Do you think with all the fish and inverts everything would be alright?

Fish room is setup to be able to change 20 gallons of water at any time. Along with a skimmer that's rated for a lightly stocked 300g or heavy stocked 180g. 20 gallon fuge. Total water volume of about 90g

Invertebrates generally don't contribute as much to bioload as a similar-sized fish, so you generally can keep quite a few - but keep in mind that not all will enjoy having so many neighbors, and some may enjoy having the neighbors for lunch. Harlequin shrimp, for instance, only eat echinoderms - no sea-stars and few urchins will be happy sharing a tank with them! (A long-spine might survive the experience... Maybe.) Arrow crabs will enjoy visiting your feather-duster worms - once.

Looking into getting a wartskin frogfish for my 15g. It'll be the only fish in there

That's a bit smaller than is generally recommended for that fish, but if you start with a small one and keep a hawk's eye on the water quality, might be doable.

~Bruce

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invertebrates generally don't contribute as much to bioload as a similar-sized fish, so you generally can keep quite a few - but keep in mind that not all will enjoy having so many neighbors, and some may enjoy having the neighbors for lunch. Harlequin shrimp, for instance, only eat echinoderms - no sea-stars and few urchins will be happy sharing a tank with them! (A long-spine might survive the experience... Maybe.) Arrow crabs will enjoy visiting your feather-duster worms - once.

That's a bit smaller than is generally recommended for that fish, but if you start with a small one and keep a hawk's eye on the water quality, might be doable.

~Bruce
I've had the parameters stable for about the past 2 months, anything specific I need to watch for?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly nutrient and waste issues. As a (relatively sedate) predator with a serious appetite, anglers can consume some hefty meals - and produce quite a bit of waste product. That has the potential to put a strain on your biofilter. If you start with a little one, the biofilter should grow as the fish does.

~Bruce

anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
I knew I couldn't have any sea stars but I didn't know about the urchins. I already have 2 urchins so that's good to know

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love gobies and blennies. So far I've got a starry blenny & a midas blenny in my 55g. They seem to respect each other and the midas only has issues with one of the clarkii clowns. The 29g has a blue spotted watchman with it's tiger pistol, so I don't want to upset that apple cart. The issue is that I really, really want a yellow watchman, but the only tank he could go in is my 20g (that will be upgraded in a few months to a 29g w/20g refugium) I already have a beautiful, sweet-natured yellow clown goby in it. Would I be asking for trouble if I were to add a yellow watchman? I know they're shapes are different, but their color is the same. The only reason I thought it might work is that the clown goby likes to perch on rocks and some of the decor and a watchman would be more about keeping a cave. Would hermit crabs bother a watchman?

Thanks

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3x2x2 is a 90g, not sure if you're aware of that or not

I love gobies and blennies. So far I've got a starry blenny & a midas blenny in my 55g. They seem to respect each other and the midas only has issues with one of the clarkii clowns. The 29g has a blue spotted watchman with it's tiger pistol, so I don't want to upset that apple cart. The issue is that I really, really want a yellow watchman, but the only tank he could go in is my 20g (that will be upgraded in a few months to a 29g w/20g refugium) I already have a beautiful, sweet-natured yellow clown goby in it. Would I be asking for trouble if I were to add a yellow watchman? I know they're shapes are different, but their color is the same. The only reason I thought it might work is that the clown goby likes to perch on rocks and some of the decor and a watchman would be more about keeping a cave. Would hermit crabs bother a watchman?

Thanks

I've introduced ywg to tanks with established clown gobies with no issues, they each had their own spots that they would chase the other away from but that's it. Small hermit crabs shouldn't bother them, especially once they're fully grown but some of the larger hermit species might try to eat them, just as they would any other fish that they could catch.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Arrow crabs can be predatory to small rockdwelling fish.

Thanks
There isn't any issue with adding a ywg.

saltwater newby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5606.JPG
Hello
I currently have a 75 gallon 4 feet long Red Sea reefer. I house 14 fish, see list below. My nutrient levels are No3 @ 0.3 and my po4 @ 0.02. I want to add a starry blenny as my last fish and wanted some feed back regarding the 15 fish I'll end up with and if this type of fish will get along with a flame hawk. I'm not worried about my other fish because they don't hang around on the rock work and sand bed like the blenny does. I would appreciate any feed back .
6 chromis
1 small yellow tang
1 mallenarus wrasse
1 flame hawk
1 bangaii cardinal
1 pijama cardinal
1 fire fish
2 clown fish
Thanks in advance :)
PS
I was planning on picking him up today if the feed back I receive calls for it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5606.JPG
Hello
I currently have a 75 gallon 4 feet long Red Sea reefer. I house 14 fish, see list below. My nutrient levels are No3 @ 0.3 and my po4 @ 0.02. I want to add a starry blenny as my last fish and wanted some feed back regarding the 15 fish I'll end up with and if this type of fish will get along with a flame hawk. I'm not worried about my other fish because they don't hang around on the rock work and sand bed like the blenny does. I would appreciate any feed back .
6 chromis
1 small yellow tang
1 mallenarus wrasse
1 flame hawk
1 bangaii cardinal
1 pijama cardinal
1 fire fish
2 clown fish
Thanks in advance :)
PS
I was planning on picking him up today if the feed back I receive calls for it.
A starry blenny will be fine. There may be some jockeying between it and the flame hawk for perching spots, but nothing serious.

I would strongly recommend a screen top for the tank, as you have some prolific jumpers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back