Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genus Valencienna are sand sifters, they create their own burrow, and do not pr with a pistol shrimp. There are many species that will work with a pistol shrimp, such as aurora goby, wheeleri goby, guttatus goby, pink spot watchman, and yellow watchman.

Cardinals, such as pj's, parvulus, and blue eye are social. Bangaiis are not social in aquaria, and will kill others if not a pr.
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll switch to an Aurora Goby, 6 chromis instead of 3 and go with just 2 banggai.

You could start with the clowns, or bangaii, or lantern bass.

I'll start with the Lantern or bangaii then. I want to have an anemone in, and already moved around if it's going to move around, before I add in the clowns.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading now that the lantern bass will eat inverts and small fish. But it is a small fish itself, I don't see it being able to eat any of the other fish but what about the shrimp and crabs I'm planning? Well, idk, the green clown goby is small too.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reading now that the lantern bass will eat inverts and small fish. But it is a small fish itself, I don't see it being able to eat any of the other fish but what about the shrimp and crabs I'm planning? Well, idk, the green clown goby is small too.
The lantern bass is fine with everything on your list.

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g Fusion Lagoon

Current stock:
Clown pair
Orange Prawn Goby / Pistol
Royal Gramma

I would like to add a colorful fish that swims in the open. Any thoughts on how many more fish would be ok ( if any) and which ones?

Thanks

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon peninsula

Stock plan:
2 clownfish
Orchid dottyback
Flame angel
Six line wrasse

I have adequate filtration I feel because I will have a PS, a diy ARID, and as much matrix as possible with weekly water changes of 25%.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g Fusion Lagoon

Current stock:
Clown pair
Orange Prawn Goby / Pistol
Royal Gramma

I would like to add a colorful fish that swims in the open. Any thoughts on how many more fish would be ok ( if any) and which ones?

Thanks
I think you can only put 1 more fish in. Maybe 2 but that's pushing it. I think a chromis or damsel would be the best choice. My chromis is very active and swims everwhere. A damsel is less active but more colorful then a chromis.
I have a 20 gallon peninsula

Stock plan:
2 clownfish
Orchid dottyback
Flame angel
Six line wrasse

I have adequate filtration I feel because I will have a PS, a diy ARID, and as much matrix as possible with weekly water changes of 25%.
I think you have to take angel out. Not because of the bioload but because the angel doesn't have room to swim.

Southpawzzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can only put 1 more fish in. Maybe 2 but that's pushing it. I think a chromis or damsel would be the best choice. My chromis is very active and swims everwhere. A damsel is less active but more colorful then a chromis.

I think you have to take angel out. Not because of the bioload but because the angel doesn't have room to swim.
Any other ideas that look very cool?

Triggerhappy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am in the infancy of my 32 gallon LED Biocube (3-11-17) is the start date.
Currently I have 6 red legged hermits, 5 margarita snails, 5 nasarrius, 5 trochus, 2 astrea, a green mithrax crab, and an ocellaris clown. I also still have diatom and a small but rather thick garden of green hair algae. I feel like a lawnmower blenny would be a good choice. I also want to get a couple grabs. Any advice would be appreciated!

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are many choices that range from damsels, bennies, cardinals to even pygmy angels. It really depends on what you want. Color, activity, usefullness.

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at some damsels. I got lucky in my last tank to have a peaceful one but I am leary of them in general. The cardinal or Pygmy angel is an interesting option. Are there any wrasses that fit the bill?

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to stock a Reefer 250. My wishlist is as follows.
Dwarf Flame Angel
Purple Pseudochromis
Clown pair
Sixline Wrasse
Another type of wrasse
And some sort of tang
Maybe a watchman goby or a lawn mower blenny

I have a clown, watchman goby, sixline, and biganni cardinal. I'm willing to part with any of these to get what I want.
The LFS tell me I should do a flame or tangs. And to keep only 4 fish. I've seen tanks smaller than the Reefer 250 with loads more. Just wondering what thoughts would be or any suggestions. Also, if there is an order to put them in or just try and add all at once.

sromero287

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R, i am ready to stock my 55g SPS dominated with fish, so far:
-Ventralis Anthias male and two/three females. (Already have the male in qt for three weeks, eating like a pig pellets, reef frenzy, mysis)
-A school of mini green chromies 5 total (already in qt for three weeks)
-Mini scoopas or yellow tang, haven't decide yet.
- Whole variety of sexy shrimps, rock anemone shrimps, porcelain crabs and pistol/yoshie gobby.

Please let me know what you guys think and any suggestions or changes will highly appreciated.
Happy reefing [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]!!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at some damsels. I got lucky in my last tank to have a peaceful one but I am leary of them in general. The cardinal or Pygmy angel is an interesting option. Are there any wrasses that fit the bill?
For damsels, stick with the genus Chrysiptera, they are more peaceful than other damsel species.

The only wrasse species that would work for this size tank include pink streak wrasse or a possum wrasse species.

I'm trying to stock a Reefer 250. My wishlist is as follows.
Dwarf Flame Angel
Purple Pseudochromis
Clown pair
Sixline Wrasse
Another type of wrasse
And some sort of tang
Maybe a watchman goby or a lawn mower blenny

I have a clown, watchman goby, sixline, and biganni cardinal. I'm willing to part with any of these to get what I want.
The LFS tell me I should do a flame or tangs. And to keep only 4 fish. I've seen tanks smaller than the Reefer 250 with loads more. Just wondering what thoughts would be or any suggestions. Also, if there is an order to put them in or just try and add all at once.
A sixline wrasse will prevent any other wrasses being added, and they get aggressive to other fish as they mature.

In this size tank I would advise against any tang.

Angel and if you put in a sixline should be at the end of stocking, order of the rest doesn't matter.
Hello R2R, i am ready to stock my 55g SPS dominated with fish, so far:
-Ventralis Anthias male and two/three females. (Already have the male in qt for three weeks, eating like a pig pellets, reef frenzy, mysis)
-A school of mini green chromies 5 total (already in qt for three weeks)
-Mini scoopas or yellow tang, haven't decide yet.
- Whole variety of sexy shrimps, rock anemone shrimps, porcelain crabs and pistol/yoshie gobby.

Please let me know what you guys think and any suggestions or changes will highly appreciated.
Happy reefing [emoji106][emoji225][emoji886]!!!
The tangs you mentioned get too big for this tank. It's borderline appropriate for a kole or tomini tang.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 150g 72"x18"x27", that I'm waiting not so patiently for my husband to do the plumbing and everything for but he does work alot. We are thinking of getting a 180. I have a list of fish that are my definite wants. I did alot of research on this so I think they will all go together I just want to make sure the tank will hold them all.

Caribbean Blue Tang
Blue-green bird wrasse
Purple tang
Green mandarin dragonette
Flame angel
Coral Beauty angel
Tailspin blenny
Bicolor angel
Halloween Batfish
Marine Betta
Pair of clownfish maybe
Blue striped pipe fish
Maxima or crocea clam
Royal gramma
Orchid dotty back
Blue reef chromis
Springer damsel
Springeri pseudochromis
Scissor tail dartfish
Pink spotted goby
Yellow watchman goby
Rainford's goby
Ruby red dragonette
Blue Linkin starfish
Tuxedo urchin
Flame and cleaner shrimp
Anemones
Serpent and bristle starfish
Porcelain crab
Clean up crew, etc.

If possible I would also like to have a clown tang OR fowleri tang and an indigo hamlet but I think the clown/fowleri are too much. There are a few other tangs id be interested in like the Powder blue, thompson's or white tail bristle tooth or a nice larger angel or wrasse but again dont know if im pushing it already on amout of fish. We are going to get some soft corals first and maybe a year or so down the road get some others.
Also are any of the smaller fish ok to have multiples. Whew! Thanks for any advice. Cross you fingers my husband will get this going soon
[emoji2]

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's supposed to say Tailspot blenny, for some reason my tablet doesn't like that word and it's supposed to say bicolor blenny not angel underneath. Sorry

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 150g 72"x18"x27", that I'm waiting not so patiently for my husband to do the plumbing and everything for but he does work alot. We are thinking of getting a 180. I have a list of fish that are my definite wants. I did alot of research on this so I think they will all go together I just want to make sure the tank will hold them all.

Caribbean Blue Tang
Blue-green bird wrasse
Purple tang
Flame angel
Coral Beauty angel
Tailspin blenny
Bicolor angel
Halloween Batfish
Marine Betta
Pair of clownfish maybe
Blue striped pipe fish
Maxima or crocea clam
Royal gramma
Orchid dotty back
Blue reef chromis
Springer damsel
Springeri pseudochromis
Scissor tail dartfish
Pink spotted goby
Yellow watchman goby
Rainford's goby
Ruby red dragonette
Blue Linkin starfish
Tuxedo urchin
Flame and cleaner shrimp
Anemones
Porcelain crab
Clean up crew, etc.

If possible I would also like to have a clown tang OR fowleri tang and an indigo hamlet but I think the clown/fowleri are too much. There are a few other tangs id be interested in like the Powder blue, thompson's or white tail bristle tooth or a nice larger angel or wrasse but again dont know if im pushing it already on amout of fish. We are going to get some soft corals first and maybe a year or so down the road get some others.
Also are any of the smaller fish ok to have multiples. Whew! Thanks for any advice. Cross you fingers my husband will get this going soon
[emoji2]

You have quite the mix there!

Unfortunately a lot of those fish are not compatible with one another. You also have some non-reef safe fish in there as well.

I would recommend reviewing the Marine Compatability Chart and figuring out your definite must haves... because right now it looks like you need two tanks- a Predator tank and a Reef tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marine-compatibility-chart.25569/

Checking live aquaria for behavior and tank size will help as well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caribbean Blue Tang
Blue-green bird wrasse
Purple tang
Flame angel
Coral Beauty angel
Tailspin blenny
Bicolor angel
Halloween Batfish
Marine Betta
Pair of clownfish maybe
Blue striped pipe fish
Maxima or crocea clam
Royal gramma
Orchid dotty back
Blue reef chromis
Springer damsel
Springeri pseudochromis
Scissor tail dartfish
Pink spotted goby
Yellow watchman goby
Rainford's goby
Ruby red dragonette
Blue Linkin starfish
Tuxedo urchin
Flame and cleaner shrimp
Anemones
Porcelain crab
Clean up crew, etc.

[emoji2]
The bird wrasse will eat many of your inverts.

A hamlet will eat many of your fish and inverts.

The angels may nip at the clam. The batfish will definitely nip at the clam.

If you skip the clam, bird wrasse, hamlet, and clown tang, there is a good chance it may work, depending on how your tank handles nutrients, as well as the stocking order.

DH-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caribbean Blue Tang
Blue-green bird wrasse
Purple tang
Flame angel
Coral Beauty angel
Tailspin blenny
Bicolor angel
Halloween Batfish
Marine Betta
Pair of clownfish maybe
Blue striped pipe fish
Maxima or crocea clam
Royal gramma
Orchid dotty back
Blue reef chromis
Springer damsel
Springeri pseudochromis
Scissor tail dartfish
Pink spotted goby
Yellow watchman goby
Rainford's goby
Ruby red dragonette
Blue Linkin starfish
Tuxedo urchin
Flame and cleaner shrimp
Anemones
Porcelain crab
Clean up crew, etc.

[emoji2]
I have a 90, so the extra space you'll have may make a difference, but my flame and Coral Beauty just didn't work out. Ended up setting up a 55 FOWLR and separated them. The CB chased the Flame constantly, from one end to the other, the second he/she saw him/her.

I'm upgrading to a 180 in the next 6 months and may give it another try, but it was just too distracting when viewing. Good luck!

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to set up another tank later with a Niger, clown and humu humu triggers so could the wrasse and batfish go in there. What would be a good sized tank for that, i have a 90g but dont think thats big enough. We planned from the beginning to set up 2 tanks. Or would they work if I just didn't get the shrimp and clam. Will triggers bother the clam? I really like blue fish and anything a little different, hence the batfish and bird wrasse. That's exactly why I like saltwater fish in the first place [emoji4] Thank you guys SSSSOOOOOOOO much for the info, keep it coming, I learn more from you guys every day.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about trying a trio of yellow assessors in a 40g? I have an established assessor now, 2 clowns and a black combtooth blenny. Also thinking about adding a chalk bass but haven't decided.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back