Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown goby species, trimma and eviota gobies, a small watchman species, Elacatinus species.

Any of the flasher and most of the fairy wrasse species vwould be a good fit for the mckosker and carpenter wrasses.

A group of 5+ dispar or Randall anthias are among my favorites. These species are more social in aquaria than some of the other more common species, but are still relatively hardy.

Any of the blennies listed will work.

Azure and springeri damsels are pretty peaceful for damsels.

Add the firefish early and the damsels and tang last. The rest of the order doesn't matter much.

Purple tilefish, blackcap basslet, borbonius anthias, grammistes blenny, chalk or tobacco basslet, melanurus or yellow coris wrasse are a few options.
Clown goby species, trimma and eviota gobies, a small watchman species, Elacatinus species.

Any of the flasher and most of the fairy wrasse species vwould be a good fit for the mckosker and carpenter wrasses.

A group of 5+ dispar or Randall anthias are among my favorites. These species are more social in aquaria than some of the other more common species, but are still relatively hardy.

Add the firefish early and the damsels and tang last. The rest of the order doesn't matter much.

Purple tilefish, blackcap basslet, borbonius anthias, grammistes blenny, chalk or tobacco basslet, melanurus or yellow coris wrasse are a few options.

What about a Kole Yellow Eye Tang for my list? I take it I would have to take two fish off and add it last.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry here's the list

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Serpent star? livestock -Tailspot, Pederson, Clownfish, neon cleaner Goby, and Pike Blenny. Safe for our tiny guys or not?

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there
Anyone here try having two nasos in the same tank (blonde Naso) ... been thinking about it for a long time..

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a Kole Yellow Eye Tang for my list? I take it I would have to take two fish off and add it last.
75g is about the smallest you could do a kole tang in, it's borderline.
Serpent star? livestock -Tailspot, Pederson, Clownfish, neon cleaner Goby, and Pike Blenny. Safe for our tiny guys or not?
A banded serpent star is fine.
Hello there
Anyone here try having two nasos in the same tank (blonde Naso) ... been thinking about it for a long time..
Unless you added them simultaneously and as very young fish, I wouldn't recommend it.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what you guys think of the stocking for my new 90g, 4x18x2.
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
2 Maine Mocha Ocellaris Clowns
1 Starry Blenny
3 Carberryi Anthias
2 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
Is it sounding overstocked or like some fish would be incompatible with each other or the tank size?

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1 Starry Blenny
3 Carberryi Anthias
2 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
Is it sounding overstocked or like some fish would be incompatible with each other or the tank size?
Looks good to me

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang
1 Starry Blenny
3 Carberryi Anthias
2 Banggai Cardinalfish
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
That list should work well.

Austin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! 1smile1
This is so awesome! I just realized yesterday how limited the knowledge at my LFS really is. I started up a 45 gal system at my parents house to get my mom into the hobby and she currently has 3 chromis and a little Ocellaris. What are some other fun coral friendly friends that would bring some more color?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so awesome! I just realized yesterday how limited the knowledge at my LFS really is. I started up a 45 gal system at my parents house to get my mom into the hobby and she currently has 3 chromis and a little Ocellaris. What are some other fun coral friendly friends that would bring some more color?

My current tank is the same size, I just got my new tank so eventually will be transferring them over. Some fish great for that size tank would be most blennies and gobies, most chromis and damsels, firefish, pajama cardinalfish, banggai cardinals, pygmy Wrasse, royal gramma, and of course even more!

Austin B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is the same size, I just got my new tank so eventually will be transferring them over. Some fish great for that size tank would be most blennies and gobies, most chromis and damsels, firefish, pajama cardinalfish, banggai cardinals, pygmy Wrasse, royal gramma, and of course even more!
I had heard that damsels were very aggressive, is this true?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, they can be quite aggressive. Some such as the yellow tailed damsels are known to be less aggressive. Keep in mind a clownfish likely can hold its own, they are actually also a species of damsel. Chromis are damsels as well, just a more peaceful kind.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose or flame hawkfish, yellow assessor, midas blenny, royal gramma, sunburst anthias, firefish, and chalk bass would work.
Most species are, but there are a few that do great in a community reef. Kupang, arnazea, springeri, talbots, and rolandi are some species that come to mind.
Yes very true
Some species this is not true.
Anyone forsee any issues QTing a Copperband Butterfly with a Matted Filefish in a 20g H?
No problems there.

Fishboy&crazycatfishlady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Started a stocking list for our new 55 gal
Normal dimensions of 48”x13”x20”
Starting as a FOWLR but have full plans of becoming a reef once the tank is more established and matured.
I know for sure we will be getting 2 clowns for my daughter, gotta have Nemo!
The wife wants a paired pistol shrimp and watchman goby
I want an engineer goby!
Will these all work well in a 55? I’ve read engineers do better in a pair?
And we really love the McCoskers wrasse

Also, anyone have any other recommendations for us!

Thanks.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Started a stocking list for our new 55 gal
Normal dimensions of 48”x13”x20”
Starting as a FOWLR but have full plans of becoming a reef once the tank is more established and matured.
I know for sure we will be getting 2 clowns for my daughter, gotta have Nemo!
The wife wants a paired pistol shrimp and watchman goby
I want an engineer goby!
Will these all work well in a 55? I’ve read engineers do better in a pair?
And we really love the McCoskers wrasse

Also, anyone have any other recommendations for us!

Thanks.
That list should be fine.

Engineer gobies get pretty big, so I would recommend sticking with only one in a 55g.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back