Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how about in a 55 gallon tank?
That would be better. But still let the tank mature for 6-12 months before trying a mandarin.
Anything else I can get
Maybe a small watchman goby.
Looking for suggestions. 40 Breeder with two O. Clownfish, a sixline wrasse, a firefish goby, and a scooter blenny. I would like to add at least one more fish. Looking for suggestions, something a little on the larger side possibly with great color, or if you think I'm maxed out. Mixed reef. Thanks in advance! :)
Longnose or flame hawk, starry blenny, grammistes blenny, red sand perch.

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,
75 G is kinda small to have some tangs in there, would focus maybe on a Kole tang (yellow eye is a very nice Fish IMHO) very nice personality and very active fish but tend to swim a bit less than other tangs and spends more time grazing on the rockwork... most Kole tangs I've had beehaved excellent except for the current one I have which tends to be a bit aggressive on other fish even in a 400G tank but nothing serious...

You can definitely get a Tomini Tang in there! I find them much more attractive than Kole Tangs

LivinTheSwreefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly new to reefing but would still appreciate input on my stock options.

I have a 57 gallon rimless aquarium with about 10g sump. Current stock includes:
-2 osc clowns (been in there about 10 months or so)
-1 Copperband Butterfly (in there about a month, eating nicely and doing well)

I’m thinking about my next fish down the road. I was thinking a wrasse... either melanarus or, my favorite, a leopard wrasse, though I am nervous since I hear they are so difficult to keep (but I’ve had luck with the copperband which isn’t easy either so maybe..?)

Questions:
How many more fish should I think about keeping after adding the wrasse? I may also want to add a few peaceful small fish: purple fire fish, blue green chromis, Midas blenny. How does that sound? Too many? Could I add 1-2 more even after all of those?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly new to reefing but would still appreciate input on my stock options.

I have a 57 gallon rimless aquarium with about 10g sump. Current stock includes:

I’m thinking about my next fish down the road. I was thinking a wrasse... either melanarus or, my favorite, a leopard wrasse, though I am nervous since I hear they are so difficult to keep (but I’ve had luck with the copperband which isn’t easy either so maybe..?)

Questions:
How many more fish should I think about keeping after adding the wrasse? I may also want to add a few peaceful small fish: purple fire fish, blue green chromis, Midas blenny. How does that sound? Too many? Could I add 1-2 more even after all of those?

Thanks
Leopard wrasses can be challenging the first few weeks after being acquired. But eventually can be quite hardy.

Each tank is different as far as stocking capacity. I would add slowly and test often. That being said, your tank sh ok uld be able to handle a few more fish.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely get a Tomini Tang in there! I find them much more attractive than Kole Tangs
yeah some nice choices here. yellow eye, tomini, white tail.... unfrotunately I'm noticing a trend in those to be very aggressive on new additions the first couple days. they still stop the aggression around day 2-3 but those first couple of days for a new fish can be quite decisive if it makes it or not.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it’s always a gamble putting any type of fish in a tank this hobby is probably worse than gambling

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very tempted to get a captive bred mandarin. My concern is my 6 line wrasse. Considering they'd be at least partially going after the same food, and the fact that it's not necessarily the friendliest fish by nature, should I just forget it?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very tempted to get a captive bred mandarin. My concern is my 6 line wrasse. Considering they'd be at least partially going after the same food, and the fact that it's not necessarily the friendliest fish by nature, should I just forget it?
In most situations they do not do well together. As they get older I have seen sixlines outright attack mandarins.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den has a trio of blue reef chromis, is there any reason to suspect a trio of them will not widdle down to one like normal blue-green chromis probably would? 90g DT

MuralReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had already started another strand but what about a queen angel in a tank with gorgonians? It would be compatible with all of my other fish, but I am curious if it would eat gorgs.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Questions:

Thanks

I have a melanurus about 4 inches long at least and a leapord wrasse 2.5 inches long and they get a lot great. Clean every feather duster they can find and love to pick on the rocks and dig up worms in the sand. I think the copper band is more difficult so you’ll do fine with the wrasse. Mine are both very hardy. The wrasse was in there first for 4 months then the leapord came in after. No aggression at all from the beginning. I thought since he’s smaller my big guy would bother him, total opposite. He spends more time fighting his reflection lol.

Go for it! 1 at a time!

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanurus about 4 inches long at least and a leapord wrasse 2.5 inches long and they get a lot great. Clean every feather duster they can find and love to pick on the rocks and dig up worms in the sand. I think the copper band is more difficult so you’ll do fine with the wrasse. Mine are both very hardy. The wrasse was in there first for 4 months then the leapord came in after. No aggression at all from the beginning. I thought since he’s smaller my big guy would bother him, total opposite. He spends more time fighting his reflection lol.

Go for it! 1 at a time!
Forgot to mention, 55 gallon long 4 ft tank , and they’re very comfortable. I have 6 other fish medium sized.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers den has a trio of blue reef chromis, is there any reason to suspect a trio of them will not widdle down to one like normal blue-green chromis probably would? 90g DT
They are more tolerant of each other than blue green chromis. They are just more delicate.
I had already started another strand but what about a queen angel in a tank with gorgonians? It would be compatible with all of my other fish, but I am curious if it would eat gorgs.
Never kept them together. I honestly don't know.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine, they prefer polyps and fleshy corals like acans, blastos, lobos, trachys. Having said that, every fish is unique.

Naoxyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With clowns, is it "ok" or "do-able" to house more then one species in a tank? for instance, having multiple separate nems for hosting, and 4 fish total. 2 separate species to have 2 each (example, 2 being maroon and 2 being helmets) would they pair with their own? Would you end up with one larger group where you'd have 3 males and one dom female for the whole tank? would there be too much aggression for trying to have 2 pairs in one set up?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back