Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I currently have a Blue Green Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius) at 7 inches in size & a sharpnose spotted pufferfish currently in a 300 gallon aquarium and want to know if they would all be compatible with one another from the list below? I was looking at a Hoevens or Mystery Wrasse specifically for their reputation with cleaning pests from corals. Don't want the worms! Not going to have a lot of fish in this system.

1. Male Hoeven's Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus), at 2.5 to 3.5 inches in size.

2. Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)

3. Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)

4. Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhites armatus)

5. Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

6. Atlantic Blue Tang (Maybe)

7. I have a pair of Black Phantom Clownfish I would consider moving from their tank into this system if they would not be harmed by any of these fish in this list.

8. I also currently have a small Purple Tang in his own quarantine tank, to add to the aquarium last, but he already seems aggressive. He is barely 2" and is already looking as if he is ready to open a can of whoop wrasse. I may sell him because I don't want aggressive fish that ha-wrasse one another. I had thought about a six line wrasse, but I heard they can be real wrasse holes.

Also, would there be any issues with any of these fish harming corals, even xenia, green star polyps, or anemones? Not worried about harming other clean up crew inverts. Also, there will be no clams in this system.

Your feedback on all this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I currently have a Blue Green Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius) at 7 inches in size & a sharpnose spotted pufferfish currently in a 300 gallon aquarium and want to know if they would all be compatible with one another from the list below? I was looking at a Hoevens or Mystery Wrasse specifically for their reputation with cleaning pests from corals. Don't want the worms! Not going to have a lot of fish in this system.

5. Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

7. I have a pair of Black Phantom Clownfish I would consider moving from their tank into this system if they would not be harmed by any of these fish in this list.

8. I also currently have a small Purple Tang in his own quarantine tank, to add to the aquarium last, but he already seems aggressive. He is barely 2" and is already looking as if he is ready to open a can of whoop wrasse. I may sell him because I don't want aggressive fish that ha-wrasse one another. I had thought about a six line wrasse, but I heard they can be real wrasse holes.

Also, would there be any issues with any of these fish harming corals, even xenia, green star polyps, or anemones? Not worried about harming other clean up crew inverts. Also, there will be no clams in this system.

Sounds good to me but I would get another halichoeres wrasse over the mystery since you just want it for pest picking. They can become really mean with some time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

5. Yellow Eyed Kole Tang

In a 300g a melanurus, mystery, and bird wrasse will coexist. Try to get the melanurus in first.

None of those fish will bother coral.

Skip the cleaner wrasse unless you get more big fish in the tank. They are hit-and-miss as far as how they do in captivity without enough client fish.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the cleaner wrasse. They die very easily in captivity and can actually reach the point of harassment with the other fish because they are constantly trying to clean them because they are hungry.

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 300g a melanurus, mystery, and bird wrasse will coexist. Try to get the melanurus in first.

None of those fish will bother coral.

Skip the cleaner wrasse unless you get more big fish in the tank. They are hit-and-miss as far as how they do in captivity without enough client fish.
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback :)

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good to me but I would get another halichoeres wrasse over the mystery since you just want it for pest picking. They can become really mean with some time.
The Halichoeres can become mean or the mystery wrasse? Yes it appears the Halichoeres might eat more pests than the mystery. Thanks for the feedback :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Halichoeres can become mean or the mystery wrasse? Yes it appears the Halichoeres might eat more pests than the mystery. Thanks for the feedback :)
The bird wrasse is meanest of the wrasses on your list, followed by mystery, followed by melanurus.

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started on a 40gal saltwater fish tank, I have an idea of all the fish I'm getting.

-Coral beauty or flame angelfish (still haven't decided)
-Hoevens wrasse
-whip fin fairy wrasse
-yellow watchman goby(paired with pistol shrimp)
-royal basslet
-black and white ocellaris clownfish

Is this to much? And which fish should I start with? Will they attack each other?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started on a 40gal saltwater fish tank, I have an idea of all the fish I'm getting.

-Coral beauty or flame angelfish (still haven't decided)
-Hoevens wrasse
-whip fin fairy wrasse
-yellow watchman goby(paired with pistol shrimp)
-royal basslet
-black and white ocellaris clownfish

Is this to much? And which fish should I start with? Will they attack each other?
The whipfin can be pretty aggressive. Skip him.

The tank is borderline for the angels. They are more likely to pick at corals in a small tank.

The rest should be ok. Basslet and goby first, ok ther fish the order doesn't matter.

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close to the point of adding fish to my 250dd and am looking for feedback.
(3) Yellow tangs
(1) Purple Tang
(1) Sailfin Tang
(1) Hippo Tang
(1) Foxface
(2) Ocellaris clown
(1) Tomato Clown
(1) Three striped damsel

Thoughts? At some point I'd like to have a large angel as wel.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close to the point of adding fish to my 250dd and am looking for feedback.
(3) Yellow tangs
(1) Purple Tang
(1) Sailfin Tang
(1) Hippo Tang
(1) Foxface
(2) Ocellaris clown
(1) Tomato Clown
(1) Three striped damsel

Thoughts? At some point I'd like to have a large angel as wel.
I'd be wary of keeping a tomato clown with other clowns.

Tim Nemeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at adding a Lawn Mower Blenny, I already have a scooter and Yellow Watchman Goby with a Pistol companion. Other then those I only have 2 Clowns. My tank is a JBJ 45. Do you think they would get along?

Last edited:

Mbwagner94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO, I am new and just added my first fish. They are two pajama cardinals. Next I want to add a pair of clowns. When is a good time to add inverts and how many can I add at once??? Oh, I have a 36g tank!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO, I am new and just added my first fish. They are two pajama cardinals. Next I want to add a pair of clowns. When is a good time to add inverts and how many can I add at once??? Oh, I have a 36g tank!

I would add the inverts before the clowns probably. Let them find a place first. Just my opinion.

Welcome to R2R!

Tim Nemeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started my 45g I added part of my clean up crew (snails and crabs), then my first fish, then the rest of my clean up crew. I didn't want to add the entire crew all at once and not have enough for them to feed on. Worked out well. But someone with more experience may have a different opinion.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at adding a Lawn Mower Blenny, I already have a scooter and Yellow Watchman Goby with a Pistol companion. Other then those I only have 2 Clowns. My tank is a JBJ 45. Do you think they would get along?
They are compatible.
What inverts where you thinking? Hardy inverts, such as hermits, nassarius, or emerald crabs can be added at anytime. More delicate inverts, such as cleaner or blood shrimp, wait a couple of weeks.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a real nice/healthy looking Majestic angel at my LFS today. I think this fish would look very nice in my 180 fish only. I have a couple of butterfly's ,pair of clowns & a malenarus wrasse now. Anything about this fish I need to look out for? Live aquaria says it needs angel food with sponge . Stuff Like that. II'm off on a research hunt. Thanks !

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a real nice/healthy looking Majestic angel at my LFS today. I think this fish would look very nice in my 180 fish only. I have a couple of butterfly's ,pair of clowns & a malenarus wrasse now. Anything about this fish I need to look out for? Live aquaria says it needs angel food with sponge . Stuff Like that. II'm off on a research hunt. Thanks !
Pretty basic. It is a well behaved large angel.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back