Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,Concerned about this fish needing sponge. I could do that. Just read an article from the Advanced Aquairist Seemed pretty straight forward .

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,Concerned about this fish needing sponge. I could do that. Just read an article from the Advanced Aquairist Seemed pretty straight forward .
I've seen them do well on a varied diet without sponge. But adding sponge to the diet won't hurt.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon mixed reef tank with the following critters:
2 young Spotcinctus clowns
Solon Fairy Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Orange Striped Goby with pistol shrimp
3 PJ Cardinals
3 Barnacle Blennies
2 Firefish
4 Rock Flower anemones
Mostly soft and LPS corals

I am thinking about one more "show" fish. One of the smaller Bristletooth Tangs or a "reef safe" angel.
Open to all ideas or being told that I am at the limit for my tank, keeping in mind most of my fish are juveniles.
Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon mixed reef tank with the following critters:
2 young Spotcinctus clowns
Solon Fairy Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Orange Striped Goby with pistol shrimp
3 PJ Cardinals
3 Barnacle Blennies
2 Firefish
4 Rock Flower anemones
Mostly soft and LPS corals

I am thinking about one more "show" fish. One of the smaller Bristletooth Tangs or a "reef safe" angel.
Open to all ideas or being told that I am at the limit for my tank, keeping in mind most of my fish are juveniles.
Thanks
I've had bristletooth tangs get aggressive in that size tank, and Genicanthus angels are planktivores, so swoop toward other planktivores. This may or may not be problematic to the fairy wrasses in that size tank.

Plauri55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bristletooth tangs get aggressive in that size tank, and Genicanthus angels are planktivores, so swoop toward other planktivores. This may or may not be problematic to the fairy wrasses in that size tank.
Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on one last fish?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else could I put in my tank. 30x18x24 56 gallon
I have now.
2 3 spot damsels
Bicolor blenny
Pink spotted watchman goby
Neon dottyback
Cleaner shrimp.

perhaps a jawfish? The damsels and dottyback are fairly aggressive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else could I put in my tank. 30x18x24 56 gallon
I have now.
2 3 spot damsels
Bicolor blenny
Pink spotted watchman goby
Neon dottyback
Cleaner shrimp.

perhaps a jawfish? The damsels and dottyback are fairly aggressive.
Getting something else in there will be tricky. The damsels and dottyback aren't going to be very tolerant of most newcomers. A jawfish may work if it can get it's burrow built without getting harassed. A grammistes blenny is venomous, as is a waspfish.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current planned stocking list for my 20 long is Diamond watchman goby, clown pair, and a sixline wrasse. However, I was thinking about possibly switching out the six-line for a pygmy angel like a flame or coral beauty. How likely would it be to eat my corals? Mainly LPS, acans, hammers, Duncan, and zoas. GSP and shrooms, and then some SPS

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current planned stocking list for my 20 long is Diamond watchman goby, clown pair, and a sixline wrasse. However, I was thinking about possibly switching out the six-line for a pygmy angel like a flame or coral beauty. How likely would it be to eat my corals? Mainly LPS, acans, hammers, Duncan, and zoas. GSP and shrooms, and then some SPS
Flame and coral beauty are a risk for nipping duncans, zoas, gsp.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 45 gallon tank and my only current fish in the tank are 2 young ocellaris clowns, 3 green chromis, and a fire fish and later I plan on getting a bta for the clowns if they choose to live in it and a Valentini puffer. My inverts are 5 nassarius snails, 10 mexican red legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 fire shrimp (I know the puffer might go after the shrimp). The tank is also partly my mother's and even though she has more experience than me, she is very insistent on getting a yellow or kole tang, which I am not a fan of because they get so big. Does anyone have an idea of a fish (preferably yellow) that will graze on rocks?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a 45 gallon tank and my only current fish in the tank are 2 young ocellaris clowns, 3 green chromis, and a fire fish and later I plan on getting a bta for the clowns if they choose to live in it and a Valentini puffer. My inverts are 5 nassarius snails, 10 mexican red legged hermits, 2 emerald crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp, and 1 fire shrimp (I know the puffer might go after the shrimp). The tank is also partly my mother's and even though she has more experience than me, she is very insistent on getting a yellow or kole tang, which I am not a fan of because they get so big. Does anyone have an idea of a fish (preferably yellow) that will graze on rocks?
Yellow assessor and clown goby are yellow and size appropriate. Starry or algae blenny will graze on the rock.

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 225gal. Curious on where the saddleback clowns fall on the aggressive scale and if mixing multiple meiacanthus species is an issue.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 225gal. Curious on where the saddleback clowns fall on the aggressive scale and if mixing multiple meiacanthus species is an issue.
Saddleback's are a larher species, but aren't terribly aggressive. They are more aggressive than occellaris/percula, less aggressive than clarkii complex.

As long as the Meiacanthus have dissimilar patterns they will be fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back