Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Mugs72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 135 with Trigger Sys Emerald 39 sump. Plan on 150ish lbs dry rock and some live rock also. Trying to narrow down my stock list. Here's my wishlist, feel free to comment.

1 pair clown fish, undecided on species
1 pair purple fire fish
1 trio banggai cardinals
1 mandarin goby (after tank is established)
1 red dragonet
1 trio of wrasses (mccoskers, carpenter, and melanarus are my preferred)
1 or 2 dwarf Angels (flame and coral beauty)
1 or 2 tangs ( kole and tomini)
Really want a trigger, niger if possible or blue throat

Any suggestions? Additions/deletions?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, Mugs72!

Depending on the species, clowns can become aggressive when they grow up. Clowns in the Ocellaris / Percula groups (and all of their assorted color morphs) ought to be OK. Clarkiis, tomatoes, maroons . . . less so.
Firefish won't pair with just any ol' firefish, and I can't tell the boys from the girls. If you find a pair at the LFS defending their corner of the tank from all comers, those might be your best bet.
Banggai cardinals will pair, and once they do, they'll become intolerant (read, they'll slaughter the third wheel) of other banggais.
Red dragonet, as with the mandarin, should wait 'til the tank's established, with a good pod population. Keep in mind that the melanurus wrasse may snatch some pods as well.
Flame and Coral Beauty are among the most reef-safe dwarf angels, but can still be risky. Would suggest adding together, or flame second.
Kole and Tomini are both bristletooth tangs - you might consider two different genera. Kole and yellow, perhaps? Kole in first, or added together, and toward the end of stocking.
Any trigger has a decent chance of taking out your shrimp, and possibly some of your cleanup crew. I had a bluethroat wipe all but one cleaner, nigers are probably a little more likely to snack between meals.

~Bruce

Mugs72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know either trigger can be a roll of the dice, I just love their personalities. Any suggestions on a tang to pair with one of the bristletooth besides a yellow?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on setting up two tanks, a FOWLR and a Reef. I haven't decided on the fish I want in the Reef tank yet, but I will be back here when I do.

Here are the specs I am thinking for the FOWL, (I haven't actually purchased the tank yet the size range is pretty wide).

Tank size: 250 - 300 gallons
Estimate dimensions: Anywhere from 76""to 96"" L, from 24"" to 30"" W, and from 24"" to 30"" H

The main fish I absolutely want is a Clown Trigger and I am thinking of putting it with a Porcupine Puffer, an Australian Harlequin Tusk, a Foxface Rabbitfish and an Orange-Lined Triggerfish. I have read so many different opinions on tank mates for a Clown Trigger and I have read a few things saying the Clown Trigger will end up being the only fish in the tank. I had this experience with a 125 gallon tank full of African Cichlids an ended up with only one large Chichlid in the tank for over 5 years because he killed everything in the tank and everything I would try to introduce even if it wasn't small enough to eat he killed it anyway.

Although I definitely want a Clown Trigger, I do not want to end up with a 250 - 300 gallon tank with just one fish. I figured I would reach out here and see what you experienced hobbyist recommend before having a potential graveyard in my tank.

Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on setting up two tanks, a FOWLR and a Reef. I haven't decided on the fish I want in the Reef tank yet, but I will be back here when I do.

Here are the specs I am thinking for the FOWL, (I haven't actually purchased the tank yet the size range is pretty wide).

Tank size: 250 - 300 gallons
Estimate dimensions: Anywhere from 76""to 96"" L, from 24"" to 30"" W, and from 24"" to 30"" H

The main fish I absolutely want is a Clown Trigger and I am thinking of putting it with a Porcupine Puffer, an Australian Harlequin Tusk, a Foxface Rabbitfish and an Orange-Lined Triggerfish. I have read so many different opinions on tank mates for a Clown Trigger and I have read a few things saying the Clown Trigger will end up being the only fish in the tank. I had this experience with a 125 gallon tank full of African Cichlids an ended up with only one large Chichlid in the tank for over 5 years because he killed everything in the tank and everything I would try to introduce even if it wasn't small enough to eat he killed it anyway.

Although I definitely want a Clown Trigger, I do not want to end up with a 250 - 300 gallon tank with just one fish. I figured I would reach out here and see what you experienced hobbyist recommend before having a potential graveyard in my tank.

Thanks in advance!
I have found small clown triggers grow up to be better behaved in aquaria than one acquired as an adult.

I have actually found undulate triggers to be problematic.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found small clown triggers grow up to be better behaved in aquaria than one acquired as an adult.

I have actually found undulate triggers to be problematic.
That is the plan. I was planning on getting all the fish as small as I can and raising them together, (it will be weird having just a few small fish in a large aquarium, but eventually it will be awesome). From what I have read though, the problem starts at around 5 - 6 inches and that's when the Clown Trigger turns into a Clown Demon. Any ideas on how to do everything I can to prevent that would be great!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the plan. I was planning on getting all the fish as small as I can and raising them together, (it will be weird having just a few small fish in a large aquarium, but eventually it will be awesome). From what I have read though, the problem starts at around 5 - 6 inches and that's when the Clown Trigger turns into a Clown Demon. Any ideas on how to do everything I can to prevent that would be great!
I think it varies specimen to specimen, but I've had some get pretty big and stay well behaved. I think getting a small one, feeding frequently, and having plenty of space all help.

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am a beginner in reef keeping and wanted to know if you guys could help me out with choosing the right fish for my system. The list is in chronological order from the fish I must have to the tank to the bottom which is flexible. options and thoughts are welcomed. (Not sure what corals I'm going to have but most likely a bunch of soft coral.
1. Fu Manchu lionfish
2. (2) Clownfish w/ anemone
3. Flame Hawkfish
4. Exquisite Firefish
5. Blue Tang
5.Coral beauty angelfish
6. Flame Angelfish
7.Red Head solon fairy Wrasse
8. Zebra Barred Dartfish
9. Purple Dottyback
10.Lawnmower blenny
11.Yellow Watchman Goby and Tire Pistol Shrimp
12. Lyretail Anthias (female & Male)
13.Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
14. Bluestreak cleaner Wrasse
15. Bigeye Black Bar SoldierFish
16. Chalk Bass

(I am going to have a 90 gallon tank with a corallife 220 gallon protein skimmer

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I've never kept one, I would think that small, slender fish like the firefish and dottyback (orchid dottys have a better reputation than purples - I _have_ kept one of those, and it was a terror.) will end up as snacks for the Fu-Manchu lion - and possibly the soldierfish, as well. Lions have surprisingly large mouths, bellies, and appetites.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am a beginner in reef keeping and wanted to know if you guys could help me out with choosing the right fish for my system. The list is in chronological order from the fish I must have to the tank to the bottom which is flexible. options and thoughts are welcomed. (Not sure what corals I'm going to have but most likely a bunch of soft coral.
1. Fu Manchu lionfish
2. (2) Clownfish w/ anemone
3. Flame Hawkfish
4. Exquisite Firefish
5. Blue Tang
5.Coral beauty angelfish
6. Flame Angelfish
7.Red Head solon fairy Wrasse
8. Zebra Barred Dartfish
9. Purple Dottyback
10.Lawnmower blenny
11.Yellow Watchman Goby and Tire Pistol Shrimp
12. Lyretail Anthias (female & Male)
13.Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
14. Bluestreak cleaner Wrasse
15. Bigeye Black Bar SoldierFish
16. Chalk Bass

(I am going to have a 90 gallon tank with a corallife 220 gallon protein skimmer
Agreed with Bruce, firefish, dartfish, cleaner wrasse, and dottyback will likely end up as meals for the soldierfish and lion.

Fu manchu lions can be difficult to wean on to prepared foods.

Blue tang gets too big for a 90g.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Fu Manchu lionfish
2. Flame Hawk Fish
3. Regular clownfish pair w/ anenome
4.coral beauty
5. lemon peel angle
6 dispar anthias
Dispars do best in a group, and should be added before the others.

The angels should be added simultaneously.

Fractalreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List for 24gal tank, already in tank firefish and cuc, want to add next watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, or could I do a jawfish in place of them? And last a royal gramma.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List for 24gal tank, already in tank firefish and cuc, want to add next watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair, or could I do a jawfish in place of them? And last a royal gramma.
That should work if you choose between the jawfish and watchman/pistol pr.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a pair of Orchid Dottybacks to add to the following well establish stock list. Any potential issues here? Thank you

Yellow Tang, Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, Bellus Angel female, Black Axil Chromis, Blue Spotted Jawfish, Wheeler Gobie pair, Gumdrop Coral Croucher, Royal Grama, Bicolor Anthias, 2 x Bartlet Anthias, 2 x Lyretail Anthias, Fathead Sunburst Anthias, Ocellaris Clown Pair, Wantanabei Angel Male, Tailspot Blenny, Mandarin Goby, Skeletor Morey Eel

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%

Back