Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly stocking my 100g (48x24x20) reef. I have 2 saddleback clowns. Ultimately I'd like to add a male and 2-3 female anthias ( really like lyretails), foxface, powder brown tang, eventually maybe a mandarin (in a year). Is the tank too small for the anthias? What about having both a fox face and a PBT in a tank this size?
I wouldn't recommend lyretails in that size tank. Consider dispar or randalls insread.

Tank is too small for a PBT.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend lyretails in that size tank. Consider dispar or randalls insread.

Tank is too small for a PBT.
I thought I saw on Liveaquaria that powder brown tangs were ok for smaller tanks but I checked again and see I was wrong. Thanks for the input.

onevarez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a blue eye tang for my 55g. Is it true that you can not add another tang to the tank?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a blue eye tang for my 55g. Is it true that you can not add another tang to the tank?
In a tank that size it’s not advisable. Perhaps a zebrasoma tang other than a sailfin could mix but that’s a lot of bio load and not much swimming space for two tangs— they may fight.

scoopsthedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65G Red Sea reef tank (LPS / Softies) with two bonded / mated clowns, clown goby, pistol shrimp / watchmen goby, single Bangaii cardinal, 2x sexy shrimp, two cleaner shrimp.

Interested in Midas blenny and(or if they can’t co exist) starry blenny, 2x fat head Anthis, one or two types of wrasse (recommendations?), and eventually a mandarins.

Feedback on amount of fish? Compatibility? Any recommendations for smaller fish I left out? Thanks!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasses, a smaller fairy from Lubbocki / Lunatus complexes, any of the Wetmorella species, P. ataenia (Pinkstreaked Wrasse). Lots of other smaller fish that can get along, @eatbreakfast has made numerous suggestions in a lot of past threads. Might be worth searching the post history.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice since very little is know about this Wrasse.

Local Store has a couple MAGMA Wrasses for Sale.

I put one on hold while I prepare a QT. Possible pickup today.

These are very small. about 1"

They are both eating frozen food (vigorously).

I notice they are a bit aggressive toward Each other (One chases the other Magma and then vise-versa). Brief chases.

Only would get 1x Magma Wrasse and he would be going into a 110Gallon Tank with No Wrasses. (3x Cariberryi Anthias, A Yellow Tang, Black Capped Basslet, Blue Green Chromis, Mandarin Goby, Copperband Butterfly and a Single Small Wanatabei Angel. Sunburst FatHead Anthias).

Picture of 110Gallon Tank (46x24x21) might help. Tons of caves, nooks and crannies. So far every fish has found a spot of their own.

42229442060_23eec34911_c.jpg

No sandbed/GlassBottom (Net Cover), but Mature 5 year old Rock from Rebuilt/Restart so I'm wondering how a Magma Wrasse would do. From what I read they live in rocky areas, so may be fine.

Also wondering about A Magma Wrasse's personality since I did observe limited aggression as mentioned above.

Currently all fish get along extremely well, and no conflict what so ever. And that is how I want to tank to continue.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65G Red Sea reef tank (LPS / Softies) with two bonded / mated clowns, clown goby, pistol shrimp / watchmen goby, single Bangaii cardinal, 2x sexy shrimp, two cleaner shrimp.

Interested in Midas blenny and(or if they can’t co exist) starry blenny, 2x fat head Anthis, one or two types of wrasse (recommendations?), and eventually a mandarins.

Feedback on amount of fish? Compatibility? Any recommendations for smaller fish I left out? Thanks!
A midas blenny would be compatible.

If you eventually want a mandarin, then the only wrasses you can get are flasher or small fairy wrasse species, because these will not compete for pods. However, a good tank cover is a must as are notorious jumpers.

Jawfish and flame and longnose hawkfish add a ton of personality.
Looking for advice since very little is know about this Wrasse.

Local Store has a couple MAGMA Wrasses for Sale.

I put one on hold while I prepare a QT. Possible pickup today.

These are very small. about 1"

They are both eating frozen food (vigorously).

I notice they are a bit aggressive toward Each other (One chases the other Magma and then vise-versa). Brief chases.

Only would get 1x Magma Wrasse and he would be going into a 110Gallon Tank with No Wrasses. (3x Cariberryi Anthias, A Yellow Tang, Black Capped Basslet, Blue Green Chromis, Mandarin Goby, Copperband Butterfly and a Single Small Wanatabei Angel. Sunburst FatHead Anthias).

Picture of 110Gallon Tank (46x24x21) might help. Tons of caves, nooks and crannies. So far every fish has found a spot of their own.

42229442060_23eec34911_c.jpg

No sandbed/GlassBottom (Net Cover), but Mature 5 year old Rock from Rebuilt/Restart so I'm wondering how a Magma Wrasse would do. From what I read they live in rocky areas, so may be fine.

Also wondering about A Magma Wrasse's personality since I did observe limited aggression as mentioned above.

Currently all fish get along extremely well, and no conflict what so ever. And that is how I want to tank to continue.

Magma wrasses are comperable to flame and pink margin wrasses in temperament. They generally are quite peaceful, but can have aggression with conspecifics.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the major differences between Fiji and Indonesian coral beauties and why are the Fiji ones more expensive?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the major differences between Fiji and Indonesian coral beauties and why are the Fiji ones more expensive?

Thanks
Fijian collecting is better regulated and flights from Fiji are more expensive.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...…...is there any difference in coloration?
Not a ton. There is a huge variance between coral beauty angels within the same region, some are brighter, some are darker. If you are looking for a particular coloration I would suggest an LFS or WYSIWYG.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton. There is a huge variance between coral beauty angels within the same region, some are brighter, some are darker. If you are looking for a particular coloration I would suggest an LFS or WYSIWYG.

One last question for the day. Can I add a Halichoeres chrysus to a tank with and established cirrhilabrus solorensis?

These would be the only 2 wrasse in the tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question for the day. Can I add a Halichoeres chrysus to a tank with and established cirrhilabrus solorensis?

These would be the only 2 wrasse in the tank.
Yes, those 2 coexist well.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magma wrasses are comperable to flame and pink margin wrasses in temperament. They generally are quite peaceful, but can have aggression with conspecifics.
Thanks for the input.
I got him (photo below in bag). I have no other wrasses so things should be ok.
29120524147_5a54a2eac5.jpg

He is now in QT, eating...., and well see how things go in a few weeks if he make it to DT.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 16g biocube with some corals and two clowns. My girlfriend and i are really interested in the red fire fish. I was wondering if i could squeeze in two in the tank to finalize the tank. I’ve got tons of hiding spots in my rocks.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again,
75 gallon, this is the Aquascape. It's got a fair amount of smaller caves/tunnels about 3-4 inches. IMG_0613.JPG
I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 kaudern's cardinal, one yellowline goby.
-I have read some mixed views on if I could put a yellow and a green clown goby in the tank, can I put both?
-I've also heard whispers about a Midas and an Algae Blenny together too but would like more answers from more people with more experience.
-This would likely be in a tank with some other sort of larger sized goby, currently undecided. Are there any that could be kept with other gobies?
-Along with a potential wrasse or tang, however my feeding schedule will only be once daily, I might be able to to twice, but I am not counting on it. So if there are any of these that could fit that criteria I'll do the research to learn more.
-Finally- if I have a hood that would prevent a fish getting anywhere but the rim, do I need a lid on the tank itself?

Last edited:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I have a 16g biocube with some corals and two clowns. My girlfriend and i are really interested in the red fire fish. I was wondering if i could squeeze in two in the tank to finalize the tank. I’ve got tons of hiding spots in my rocks.

Two adult clowns may very well want all of that 16 gallons - if not now, then when they decide to spawn. A goby or blenny that stays down near the sand / rocks may be easier to slip past the clown pair than firefish.

Starypotter, I have a midas blenny and a starry in my tank - current iteration is a 220, but they previously got along in a 65 gallon. I'm less certain of the clown gobies, since I haven't really worked with 'em. They do utilize the corals & rockwork more than the sand, so clown gobies with, say, shrimp gobies should work out fine.

~Bruce

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back