Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Chris_Heller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are both site-oriented fish, in that they have a preferred area to stay in, so 30g should suffice.

However, the 2 will not coexist in that size tank. Starry blennies in particular can be quite territorial to other perching and similarly shaped fish.

Are there any fish you're particularly drawn to?

A few fish I enjoy for that size tank include; flame or longnose hawkfish, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, a few reef safe wrasses, purple tilefish, royal gramma, watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

We would like to have a blue hippo tang and a couple clowns but other than that I’m open to any other suggestions

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would like to have a blue hippo tang and a couple clowns but other than that I’m open to any other suggestions
Hippo tangs outgrow 100g. Consider yellowtail or azure damsels to get the blue and yellow in a fish that is approriately sized for that tank.

Chris_Heller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tangs outgrow 100g. Consider yellowtail or azure damsels to get the blue and yellow in a fish that is approriately sized for that tank.

But honestly won’t it take years for a small blue hippo to grow to full size? Anyways def want a pair of clowns

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But honestly won’t it take years for a small blue hippo to grow to full size? Anyways def want a pair of clowns
It will outgrow 100g before it reaches full size. It may take 2-ish years for that to happen, but removing and rehoming a fish is stressful, not just for that fish, but for all the tank inhabitants, and the process is easier said than done.

Chris_Heller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will outgrow 100g before it reaches full size. It may take 2-ish years for that to happen, but removing and rehoming a fish is stressful, not just for that fish, but for all the tank inhabitants, and the process is easier said than done.

Ok no blue hippo, but what about a list that includes a smaller tang and a pair of clowns? Maybe a sailfin or a yellow tang?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have a question about placing a clam in my reef. I will be reading up before my purchase but am interested in what you folks can share, like what fish will eat or harass them and anything else I may need to consider. thx

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok no blue hippo, but what about a list that includes a smaller tang and a pair of clowns? Maybe a sailfin or a yellow tang?
A yellow tang would be fine, a sailfin will get too big.
Hello I have a question about placing a clam in my reef. I will be reading up before my purchase but am interested in what you folks can share, like what fish will eat or harass them and anything else I may need to consider. thx
Dwarf angels may nip, butterflies are likely to nip, foxfaces and rabbitfish may nip, large angels will eat them, filefish are likely to pick, boxfish, puffers and triggers may nip, some blennies will nip, other species of blennies will ignore them.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Siggy, I used this speacialty post to ask my clam questions. Lots of clam experts here and it may be a better resource as far as clam experiences go.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/got-a-clam-question-weve-got-you-covered-right-here.30005/

Chris_Heller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to give me a list with the order in which I should introduce the fish to my tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to give me a list with the order in which I should introduce the fish to my tank?
A few fish I enjoy for that size tank include; flame or longnose hawkfish, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, a few reef safe wrasses, purple tilefish, royal gramma, watchman goby and pistol shrimp. The order doesn't matter much with these.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are both site-oriented fish, in that they have a preferred area to stay in, so 30g should suffice.

However, the 2 will not coexist in that size tank. Starry blennies in particular can be quite territorial to other perching and similarly shaped fish.

Thanks @eatbreakfast! I would probably go with the Midas then. I love the look of a Starry Blenny, but if I had to pick it seems the Midas Blenny might be out and about more.

I only have a Pink Streaked Wrasse now. I will probably add one Midas Blenny and one Spotcinctus Clownfish (Amphiprion bicinctus). That will be all of the fish in this tank. Would you add the Midas Blenny or the Spotcinctus first? Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @eatbreakfast! I would probably go with the Midas then. I love the look of a Starry Blenny, but if I had to pick it seems the Midas Blenny might be out and about more.

I only have a Pink Streaked Wrasse now. I will probably add one Midas Blenny and one Spotcinctus Clownfish (Amphiprion bicinctus). That will be all of the fish in this tank. Would you add the Midas Blenny or the Spotcinctus first? Thanks!
Midas before the spotcinctus.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my 75 gallon running and am trying to polish off my stocking list.
I already have
  • 2 clownfish (not sure if ocellaris or perc)
  • 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
  • 1 Neon Goby
    • 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
    • 1 peppermint shrimp
    • 6 (?) ghost/grass shrimp
    • hermits, snails, an unidentified crab,
I want to add
  • 1- Green clown goby, I have read that they will get along okay with the neon in nano tanks so I figure that a 75 with a lot of rock should be no problem. LFS also says that the clown goby and the neon goby bioloads are practically non existent in terms of stocking.
  • 1- Midas Blenny OR Lawnmower Blenny
  • 1- Diamond Goby OR a goby that'll pair with a pistol shrimp. A bit reluctant with YWG because I have accidentally killed one in QT :(
    • Another skunk cleaner (I really like inverts even if they're not going to be productive cleaners)
    • Fire shrimp
    • a sea star? brittle not sure which one would be best
    • an urchin?
    • anemone? not sure what kind, got to research that
LiveAquaria's compatibility chart says to use caution with a blenny and cardinals? But the blenny on my list are larger ones? And the cardinal isn't too big, does anyone have experience with any blennies with a kaudern's cardinal?

I'd also really love a tang. I know that opinions are very varied with tangs in a 4 ft tank, especially a yellow one. Does anyone have accurate information on how quickly they grow if I were to get a small one? About how long I would have before I'd need an upgrade?

What would you add or edit?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting my 75 gallon running and am trying to polish off my stocking list.
I already have
  • 2 clownfish (not sure if ocellaris or perc)
  • 1 Kaudern's Cardinal
  • 1 Neon Goby
    • 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
    • 1 peppermint shrimp
    • 6 (?) ghost/grass shrimp
    • hermits, snails, an unidentified crab,
I want to add
  • 1- Green clown goby, I have read that they will get along okay with the neon in nano tanks so I figure that a 75 with a lot of rock should be no problem. LFS also says that the clown goby and the neon goby bioloads are practically non existent in terms of stocking.
  • 1- Midas Blenny OR Lawnmower Blenny
  • 1- Diamond Goby OR a goby that'll pair with a pistol shrimp. A bit reluctant with YWG because I have accidentally killed one in QT :(
    • Another skunk cleaner (I really like inverts even if they're not going to be productive cleaners)
    • Fire shrimp
    • a sea star? brittle not sure which one would be best
    • an urchin?
    • anemone? not sure what kind, got to research that
LiveAquaria's compatibility chart says to use caution with a blenny and cardinals? But the blenny on my list are larger ones? And the cardinal isn't too big, does anyone have experience with any blennies with a kaudern's cardinal?

I'd also really love a tang. I know that opinions are very varied with tangs in a 4 ft tank, especially a yellow one. Does anyone have accurate information on how quickly they grow if I were to get a small one? About how long I would have before I'd need an upgrade?

What would you add or edit?
The cardinal and blenny will be fine.

Diamond gobies don't pr with pistol shrimp.

A kole or tomini tang would be a better choice than a yellow tang.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a check on my list to see if everything will be okay and I’m not going to overstock - listed by order:

In tank now:

2 occ clowns
1 Malnarus Wrasse
1 Longfin Fairy wrasse
1 orchid dottyback

In QT to be added:

1 Kole tang
1 Yellow Tang

To purchase:

2 bangai cardinals
3 azure damsels
1 diamond goby (sand shifter)
1 flame angel or 1 rabbitfish

Tank is 125G with 55G sump. Plan is a mixed reef. I QT everything and have accumulation boxes. My wife made me add the cardinalfish —- I would have added them first if I knew about having to add them [emoji29].

I have a skimmer for a 180G tank an ATS and lots of macro rock and a crap ton of pods.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a check on my list to see if everything will be okay and I’m not going to overstock - listed by order:

In tank now:

2 occ clowns
1 Malnarus Wrasse
1 Longfin Fairy wrasse
1 orchid dottyback

In QT to be added:

1 Kole tang
1 Yellow Tang

To purchase:

2 bangai cardinals
3 azure damsels
1 diamond goby (sand shifter)
1 flame angel or 1 rabbitfish

Tank is 125G with 55G sump. Plan is a mixed reef. I QT everything and have accumulation boxes. My wife made me add the cardinalfish —- I would have added them first if I knew about having to add them [emoji29].

I have a skimmer for a 180G tank an ATS and lots of macro rock and a crap ton of pods.
Looks good to me.

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cardinal and blenny will be fine.

Diamond gobies don't pr with pistol shrimp.

A kole or tomini tang would be a better choice than a yellow tang.
What do you think about the bio load of this list? I'm running a curve 5 skimmer in a 40 breeder sump. I don't know how many gallons of actual water are in my system yet.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about the bio load of this list? I'm running a curve 5 skimmer in a 40 breeder sump. I don't know how many gallons of actual water are in my system yet.
Stocking capacity varies from system to system. Add slowly and test parameters frequently.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly stocking my 100g (48x24x20) reef. I have 2 saddleback clowns. Ultimately I'd like to add a male and 2-3 female anthias ( really like lyretails), foxface, powder brown tang, eventually maybe a mandarin (in a year). Is the tank too small for the anthias? What about having both a fox face and a PBT in a tank this size?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back