Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the urchin be OK with my nitrate levels high? I've added 10 nassarius snails, 10 astrea, and 10 blue leg hermits after I did my water change and acclimated them. Why do you suggest peppermint shrimp over the file fish? I actually like the ugly little guys, and want to keep him.
I would wait until nitrate levels are lower and stable before adding the urchins and the only reason I say peppermint shrimp over file fish is because I think they look a lot better, but if you really like them, go ahead and get one lol

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was here a few pages back. Since my tank is cycling, not much to do except post on R2R lol.

I have an SCA 50gallon with sump. Tank is 24"x24"x20". I plan to start with a pair of Gladiator/DaVinchi clownfish and then slowly add one fish at a time. Likely a month apart due to QTing them.

Here is my proposed stock list. I should have got a bigger tank!

2x Gladiator Clown
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Azure/Kupang Damselfish
1x Hoeven's Wrasse
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Leopard Toby Puffer

What do you think? I plan to do a 5 gallon change per week. I can bump it up to 10 gallons per week if that helps. Pretty please? Lol I want them all.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm new to reefing and was looking to have 7 fish in a 40b woth a 29g sump. I have a bubble magus curve 5 elite, refugium w/ cheato, and prolly a little over stocked on live rock. I also have 2 jebao ow-8 for flow. I have a few lps and softies right now. Tank has been running for about 3 months including 1 month cycle.

My stock so far:
2 snowflake clowns
Purple firefish
6 line wrasse
2 cleaner shrimp.

My future plans:
Royal gramma
Yellow tang ( maybe)
Mandarin (in about 9 months)
BTA

Let me know what you yall think. Thank you

Ps- I'm doing water changes every 1.5 to 2 weeks. 10 gallons per water change.

Ph 8.2
Calcium 360
Alk 8
Nitrates 0
Mag ? (Waiting on test kit)
That tank is too small for a yellow tang.

Sixline wrasses and mandarins are a problematic combination. Sixlines can easily outcompete a mandarin for pods. There are also numerous reports of sixlines behaving aggresively toward mandarins.
I was here a few pages back. Since my tank is cycling, not much to do except post on R2R lol.

I have an SCA 50gallon with sump. Tank is 24"x24"x20". I plan to start with a pair of Gladiator/DaVinchi clownfish and then slowly add one fish at a time. Likely a month apart due to QTing them.

Here is my proposed stock list. I should have got a bigger tank!

2x Gladiator Clown
1x Flame Angelfish
1x Azure/Kupang Damselfish
1x Hoeven's Wrasse
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Leopard Toby Puffer

What do you think? I plan to do a 5 gallon change per week. I can bump it up to 10 gallons per week if that helps. Pretty please? Lol I want them all.
They should be fine .

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang in a 40-B .... not likely to work well. He's going to feel cramped, stressed, and there's a good shot he'll take it out on anyone around him.

Keep a sharp watch on the six-line, as well. He might be OK, but there's a better than even chance that new residents will be met with violet fire.

BTA can get to be a pretty good size - keep in mind that where the 'nem's tentacles flow, fish other than hosted clowns can't swim.

~Bruce

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones don't care much whether they've just been fed ... something touches a tentacle, it's getting stung - and if it can be held, it's getting eaten.

Brainless and basic.

~Bruce

So then how is it clown fish can be in them and sleep in them?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then how is it clown fish can be in them and sleep in them?
The slime coat of clownfish is different than that of other fish. Anemones' stings are activated unconsciously, by touching organic tissue that is "not the anemone." Clownfish slimecoats communicate to the nematocysts that they are "part of the anemone," thus not activating the nematocyst.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are blennies aggressive towards each other? I was planning on moving my pair of ocellaris clowns into the 15 gallon reef tank that I’m starting up after it cycles and maybe getting a midas blenny, but I already have a tailspot blenny and I don’t want the midas to pick on the smaller tailspot. If they are incompatible, does anyone have any recommendations of fish that will eat algae and do well in a 46 gallon with a Valentini puffer, purple firefish, and tailspot blenny?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are blennies aggressive towards each other? I was planning on moving my pair of ocellaris clowns into the 15 gallon reef tank that I’m starting up after it cycles and maybe getting a midas blenny, but I already have a tailspot blenny and I don’t want the midas to pick on the smaller tailspot. If they are incompatible, does anyone have any recommendations of fish that will eat algae and do well in a 46 gallon with a Valentini puffer, purple firefish, and tailspot blenny?
Most blennies can be aggressive with each other, however therr are exceptions. Generally, the more similarities there are, the more problems. Herbivores are more aggressive to other herbivores than they are to ppanktivores, perching blennies are more aggressive to other perching fish than they are to blennies that spend more time in the water column.

What works in your favor is that midas blennies are predominantly planktivores and spend more time in the water column. What works against it is a small tank size and they are in the same genus.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most blennies can be aggressive with each other, however therr are exceptions. Generally, the more similarities there are, the more problems. Herbivores are more aggressive to other herbivores than they are to ppanktivores, perching blennies are more aggressive to other perching fish than they are to blennies that spend more time in the water column.

What works in your favor is that midas blennies are predominantly planktivores and spend more time in the water column. What works against it is a small tank size and they are in the same genus.
Would I be better off with a forktail or harptail blenny than a midas then? I don’t think the combination of 2 grazers would be that big of an issue since the tailspot generally only eats the algae on the glass and I’ve only seen it eat algae on the rocks once, but it never hurts to ask first.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... Just want to Thank you...

I have finished adding the two last fish, the suggestions helped with great tank mates and no aggression issues in getting them into the aquarium.
If there isn't one I think there should be a forum like this for folks jumping into coral. It may help individuals to avoid costly mistakes. If the first "recommended" coral(s) stay alive for a given amount of time then proceed with adding etc... Not sure how many will listen but if they do it could potentially save them some $

525 RedSea Reefer (108 gal)

Aquarium tank mates:
1/Watchman Goby/ Pistol shrimp
2/Mocha clownfish
1/Chalk Basslet
1/Orchid Dottyback
1/Royal Grama
3/Bartlets anthias trio
1/Cherub Angel
1/Flame Angel
1/Coral Beauty
1/Starry Blenny
1/Flame Hawk

Thanks again!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I done bought me an innovative marine stand for $50 for their 20 gallon tank 24x15x13 that i'll be setting up sometime next year because i need more reef tank headaches to problem solve?!

i'm pondering a stocklist for it and i'm wondering about basslets/assessors and dottybacks in that size of a tank. particularly the yellow assessor or the blackcap basslet along with an electric indigo dottyback. bad idea? won't work at all? assessor/basslet in first and then add the dotty later?

if a dottyback is just a bad idea, could i do the blackcap along with the assessor?

thanks!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys... Just want to Thank you...

I have finished adding the two last fish, the suggestions helped with great tank mates and no aggression issues in getting them into the aquarium.
If there isn't one I think there should be a forum like this for folks jumping into coral. It may help individuals to avoid costly mistakes. If the first "recommended" coral(s) stay alive for a given amount of time then proceed with adding etc... Not sure how many will listen but if they do it could potentially save them some $

525 RedSea Reefer (108 gal)

Aquarium tank mates:
1/Watchman Goby/ Pistol shrimp
2/Mocha clownfish
1/Chalk Basslet
1/Orchid Dottyback
1/Royal Grama
3/Bartlets anthias trio
1/Cherub Angel
1/Flame Angel
1/Coral Beauty
1/Starry Blenny
1/Flame Hawk

Thanks again!

So true! I asked about fish in this thread a lot and I now have 23 fish in my 525xl with no issues!

I’m asking a lot about coral too in the coral forums and I’m glad I did!

I’m happy it’s working out well for you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I be better off with a forktail or harptail blenny than a midas then? I don’t think the combination of 2 grazers would be that big of an issue since the tailspot generally only eats the algae on the glass and I’ve only seen it eat algae on the rocks once, but it never hurts to ask first.
Yes, Meiacanthus species are a better choice.
so I done bought me an innovative marine stand for $50 for their 20 gallon tank 24x15x13 that i'll be setting up sometime next year because i need more reef tank headaches to problem solve?!

i'm pondering a stocklist for it and i'm wondering about basslets/assessors and dottybacks in that size of a tank. particularly the yellow assessor or the blackcap basslet along with an electric indigo dottyback. bad idea? won't work at all? assessor/basslet in first and then add the dotty later?

if a dottyback is just a bad idea, could i do the blackcap along with the assessor?

thanks!
I would not recommend the dottyback, even though it's a better behaved one, in that size tank.

The blackcap and assessor should work though.

James Martz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I asked for advice. Still looking to finish stocking my tank.

Tank is 120" x 30" x 24" with a 180g for a sump. Currently setup as a FOWLR, been up and running for over 2 years.

Current list:
Crosshatch Trigger- male
Niger Trigger
Sargassum Trigger
Black Durgeon Trigger
Mappa Puffer
Dussumieri Tang
Vlamingii Tang
Marine Betta
Pair Banggai Cardinal
Pair Dwarf Golden Moray Eels

Would like to add:
Surge Wrasse
Red Corris Wrasse
Queen Angel

Any other suggestions?

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The slime coat of clownfish is different than that of other fish. Anemones' stings are activated unconsciously, by touching organic tissue that is "not the anemone." Clownfish slimecoats communicate to the nematocysts that they are "part of the anemone," thus not activating the nematocyst.

Wow that’s kinda cool. I was worried that my nems would eat my clowns. Since they use it as a snuggie.

Luna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be some cool fish I could put in a 20 long?

Kdoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kdoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a cool larger "show peice" fish I could get for a 130 gallon that is reef safe?

Wanting something pretty active and on the bigger side that won't get too cramped though.

Thanks!

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a cool larger "show peice" fish I could get for a 130 gallon that is reef safe?

Wanting something pretty active and on the bigger side that won't get too cramped though.

Thanks!
Bellus Angelfish, Purple Tang, Yellow Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Powder Blue Tang (if you don’t have other tangs)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I asked for advice. Still looking to finish stocking my tank.

Tank is 120" x 30" x 24" with a 180g for a sump. Currently setup as a FOWLR, been up and running for over 2 years.

Current list:
Crosshatch Trigger- male
Niger Trigger
Sargassum Trigger
Black Durgeon Trigger
Mappa Puffer
Dussumieri Tang
Vlamingii Tang
Marine Betta
Pair Banggai Cardinal
Pair Dwarf Golden Moray Eels

Would like to add:
Surge Wrasse
Red Corris Wrasse
Queen Angel

Any other suggestions?
Fusiliers or monos would be an option for a grouping of fish. Harlequin tusk, quoyi parrot, semilarvatus butterfly are a few other options.
What would be some cool fish I could put in a 20 long?
Barnacle blennies, pike blennies, stigmatura blenny, neon goby, eviota or trimma gobies, firefish, swales basslet, pink streak wrasse, possum wrasse.

Thanks!
Pyramid or zoster butterfly, bellus or watanabi angel.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back