Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gold Dot Clowns in a 16G Biocube. Would any other bottom dwelling fish be able to stand up to them? I know they are pretty aggressive and it is a small tank.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add to my reef and would love some advice.

I currently have:
Perc clown
Yellow corris wrasse
Yellow watchman goby

I’d like to add:
Lawnmower blenny
Royal gramma

This is a 50g mixed reef. Ok for this tank and ok to QT together?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I currently have:
Perc clown
Yellow corris wrasse
Yellow watchman goby

I’d like to add:
Lawnmower blenny
Royal gramma

I’m not a qt guy so I can’t offer any help there.

Lawn mower blennys can become territorial and often don’t do well with gobies.

I would recommend a tailspot with the tank mates you have listed.

I’ve also followed the advice from @eatbreakfast stocking my tank and would ask his opinion here on the lawnmower blenny.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why couldnt qt together. Anecdotally some threads ive read have had hard times getting lawnmower blennys to eat in qt.

Watchmen gobies usually live in and around the sand(with their paired shrimp). The blenny usually will perch on the rocks. I think these two should be ok, but agree above to wait for the expert :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Gold Dot Clowns in a 16G Biocube. Would any other bottom dwelling fish be able to stand up to them? I know they are pretty aggressive and it is a small tank.

I dont think the 16g is big enough for maroons let alone more fish imho.

Maroon clowns get Large. Besides their temperament, there is also bioload and swimming space that just isn’t available in a 16g cube.

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think the 16g is big enough for maroons let alone more fish imho.

Maroon clowns get Large. Besides their temperament, there is also bioload and swimming space that just isn’t available in a 16g cube.
I didn’t really think we could do another fish, but thought better to ask. We took the advice of our LFS on the selection of the clowns. We will be building a larger tank this year hopefully to be ready next year. I guess we may need to move them?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t really think we could do another fish, but thought better to ask. We took the advice of our LFS on the selection of the clowns. We will be building a larger tank this year hopefully to be ready next year. I guess we may need to move them?

You are going to want a tank minimum of 36” by 18” footprint if want additional fish larger would be better.

16g cube is more for smaller peaceful fish.
Firefish, clown goby, some prawn gobies, barnacle blennies as examples.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Gareth elliott 's assessment that the maroon pr will outgrow this tank, and if you want other open water fish, bear in mind that a maroon pr can claim 50g of tank volume just for themselves.

However, a watchman goby species will fly under their radar.

I currently have:
Perc clown
Yellow corris wrasse
Yellow watchman goby

I’d like to add:
Lawnmower blenny
Royal gramma

There aren't any compatibility issues with any of the fish.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Gareth elliott 's assessment that the maroon pr will outgrow this tank, and if you want other open water fish, bear in mind that a maroon pr can claim 50g of tank volume just for themselves.

However, a watchman goby species will fly under their radar.

There aren't any compatibility issues with any of the fish.
Thank you much:)

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I am interested in the following setup - 180 gallon (6x2x2) :

1. One Volitans or Russell's Lionfish
2. One Harlequin Tuskfish
3. One to Three Yellow Tang
4. One Copperband Butterflyfish
5. One Regal Blue Tang
6. One Regal Angelfish
7. One-Three Schooling Bannerfish
8. Coral such as LPS, Zoanthid and Goniastrea

This is what I would like, I'm looking for feedback on compatibility and stocking levels. Also, if people could suggest fish and coral that might complement the setup I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Andrew

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I am interested in the following setup - 180 gallon (6x2x2) :

1. One Volitans or Russell's Lionfish
2. One Harlequin Tuskfish
3. One to Three Yellow Tang
4. One Copperband Butterflyfish
5. One Regal Blue Tang
6. One Regal Angelfish
7. One-Three Schooling Bannerfish
8. Coral such as LPS, Zoanthid and Goniastrea

This is what I would like, I'm looking for feedback on compatibility and stocking levels. Also, if people could suggest fish and coral that might complement the setup I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Andrew
The copperband and regal are fairly delicate. Add them first and allow them to settle before adding the bolder species.

In a 180g only do 1 yellow tang, not 2 or 3.

The regal angel may nip zoas and LPS.

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question, will it be possible to add an Assorted Frogfish (Antennarius sp.) to a tank like this? I know almost nothing about them, but my wife finds them.... cute. :)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question, will it be possible to add an Assorted Frogfish (Antennarius sp.) to a tank like this? I know almost nothing about them, but my wife finds them.... cute. :)

Frogfish can eat about anything its own size. Wont eat corals but could very well eat any of its fishy or motile invert tank mates that fit in its large mouth. Best to kept in species only tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can also be bothered by grazers and it can be difficult to make sure they are fed in a tank with other fish.

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So currently in my innovative marine nuvo 40 I have an ocellaris clownfish pair, and 3 blue green chromis. They all kind of inhabit the same areas of the tank making it look like it's not very full so I've been thinking about getting another fish.

I'm thinking about a 6 line wrasse, firefish or flame hawkfish.

Anybody think that any of these fish would be a bad fit or maybe my bioload for the tank is already maxed out?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So currently in my innovative marine nuvo 40 I have an ocellaris clownfish pair, and 3 blue green chromis. They all kind of inhabit the same areas of the tank making it look like it's not very full so I've been thinking about getting another fish.

Anybody think that any of these fish would be a bad fit or maybe my bioload for the tank is already maxed out?

Might be a lot of bioload to add more fish, if not having any nutrient issues i wouldnt see any aggression issues with a firefish, they tend to find a spot to borrow and stay within a 10” circle of that borrow, will need a lid. Skip the 6 line. Other options would be a barnacle benny or possum wrasse.

But will be dependent on how your system manages nutrients.

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a lot of bioload to add more fish, if not having any nutrient issues i wouldnt see any aggression issues with a firefish, they tend to find a spot to borrow and stay within a 10” circle of that borrow, will need a lid. Skip the 6 line. Other options would be a barnacle benny or possum wrasse.

But will be dependent on how your system manages nutrients.
Appreciate the insight. Currently the system keeps nitrates around 3ppm and phosphates around .025 without much effort. I try to do weekly 10% changes but even if I skip a week or two, nutrients seem to stay stable. That was one reason why I have even contemplated adding one more

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should be able to handle more bioload. Of the three fish, skip the sixline. They have a tendency of becoming aggressive as they mature.

SamiBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know of a peaceful fish that likes to eat bristle worms? I have a purple firefish and a sexy dancer shrimp and I've heard the shrimp could be in trouble if a bristle worm decides to go after him during/after he's molted. My tank's only 4 months old and the worms seem to be multiplying pretty quickly.

Thank yooouu!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back