Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about what you guys think about my proposed stock list. Only thing already in tank is goby, inverts and GSP.

Fish:
(1) Golden Head Goby
(2) Clowns-Pair (Yellow Maroon and Gold Nugget)
(1) Green Mandarin
(1) Bangaii Cardinal (If He Survives, He Is In QT, Lost His Mate)
Potentially One More Active Swimmer

'Nems:
(1) Bubble Tip Anemone

Corals:
(2) Soft Corals
(2) LPS

Inverts:
(1) Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrim
(4-6) Hermits

30 Gallon Long Tank, gives more swimming room than traditional 30 gallon. Good filtration, refugium chamber, skimmer, ATO and AWC

IMG_2860.jpg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I'll put him on my possiblity list. Thanks!

Agree with @eatbreakfast that 15 gallon is too small for a long nose. I was thinking 25 gallons. Sorry about that. Even then, 25 would be pushing it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious about what you guys think about my proposed stock list. Only thing already in tank is goby, inverts and GSP.

Fish:
(1) Golden Head Goby
(2) Clowns-Pair (Yellow Maroon and Gold Nugget)
(1) Green Mandarin
(1) Bangaii Cardinal (If He Survives, He Is In QT, Lost His Mate)
Potentially One More Active Swimmer

'Nems:
(1) Bubble Tip Anemone

Corals:
(2) Soft Corals
(2) LPS

Inverts:
(1) Cleaner Shrimp
(1) Peppermint Shrim
(4-6) Hermits

30 Gallon Long Tank, gives more swimming room than traditional 30 gallon. Good filtration, refugium chamber, skimmer, ATO and AWC

IMG_2860.jpg
Mandarins do best with at minimum 50g of established reef.

Those clowns will claim a 50g space when mature, so 30g isn't enough.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins do best with at minimum 50g of established reef.

Those clowns will claim a 50g space when mature, so 30g isn't enough.
Ok, I knew the established reef for sure on the Mandarins. Live Aquaria lists all of these as ok for 30 gallons. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just curious about the discrepancy, please educate me.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I knew the established reef for sure on the Mandarins. Live Aquaria lists all of these as ok for 30 gallons. I am not saying you're wrong, I am just curious about the discrepancy, please educate me.
30g hasn't proven to reliably support the pod demands of a mandarin without regular, frequent pod supplementation.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them more space or choose other fish.

No. Sixlines are notoriously aggressive and outcompete mandarins for pods.

Nope. Territorial fish claim a territory.

15g is too small for a longnose hawk.
If I had a six line I would not have a mandarin. If that's still not good what will eat all my pods? What do you mean more space more space to hide in?

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30g hasn't proven to reliably support the pod demands of a mandarin without regular, frequent pod supplementation.
Thank you so much for the insight. I love getting different perspectives even when they conflict. Only way to grow in this hobby and life in general!

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40b + 20g sump

Considering a adding a few

Current stock list:
2 clowns
Fire Goby (thinking of re homing)
Fire shrimp (large)
2 hermits (medium)
Dawarf Ceriths, nerites, nassarius, trochus

I’m considering adding 4 out of 6. I’m really tempted to do a green wrasse. Would this combo work 2+4 new =6 total

Orchid Dotty Back

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse

Yellow watchman goby

Black cap basslet

Green wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a six line I would not have a mandarin. If that's still not good what will eat all my pods? What do you mean more space more space to hide in?
Without a mandarin the sixline should be fine if you also are not getting the lion. Otherwise the lion can eat the sixline.

More space all around. To swim, to hide. Maroon clown pr and a lion housed together need a tank bigger than 60g.
I have a 40b + 20g sump

Considering a adding a few

Current stock list:
2 clowns
Fire Goby (thinking of re homing)
Fire shrimp (large)
2 hermits (medium)
Dawarf Ceriths, nerites, nassarius, trochus

I’m considering adding 4 out of 6. I’m really tempted to do a green wrasse. Would this combo work 2+4 new =6 total

Orchid Dotty Back

Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse

Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse

Yellow watchman goby

Black cap basslet

Green wrasse
Your proposed list is fine except for the green wrasse. Green wrasses get too big for 40g and get aggressive.

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a mandarin the sixline should be fine if you also are not getting the lion. Otherwise the lion can eat the sixline.

More space all around. To swim, to hide. Maroon clown pr and a lion housed together need a tank bigger than 60g.

Your proposed list is fine except for the green wrasse. Green wrasses get too big for 40g and get aggressive.
Ok thanks. What will eat my pods?

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is I'm not over feeding there is no fish in my tank at the moment so I hardly feed to keep the cuc happy and the ones that have taken over my tank are the algae grazers.
The ones that dominate are flatworms and isopods. Other pods I have are amphipods and a new pod probaby mysis or baby hermits.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you do add fish, all fish eat a little bit of pods. If they are an easy meal this snacking will cause them to hide a bit more during lighted hours.
Even clowns will sit at the glass picking off the very contrasted pods on the glass.

Other things i use are filter socks and Gorgorians to keep food particles from staying around past their need. And 90% of the photosynthetic varieties(Ribbons are the exception ime) are rather forgiving with chemistry if have adequate flow and lighting.

Only problem that is solved by adding a fish alone; is needing more fish [emoji23]

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut back on feeding, even if it is very little, feed less, or not at all.
Also when you do add fish, all fish eat a little bit of pods. If they are an easy meal this snacking will cause them to hide a bit more during lighted hours.
Even clowns will sit at the glass picking off the very contrasted pods on the glass.

Other things i use are filter socks and Gorgorians to keep food particles from staying around past their need. And 90% of the photosynthetic varieties(Ribbons are the exception ime) are rather forgiving with chemistry if have adequate flow and lighting.

Only problem that is solved by adding a fish alone; is needing more fish [emoji23]
Ok thanks I'll try that but I may end up with dead nassarius snails and that will give them food too. The isopods will even eat crab molts.;Yuck

Dmeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction Order and Stocking List for 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Below is a list of fish I'd like to put in my tank and the order in which I plan to introduce them. I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank I plan to keep each fish in for 6 weeks before introducing them to my 75 gallon tank. I would love feedback about whether these fish will do well together, if this is too much for a 75 gallon tank, and if the order I plan to introduce them is ideal. I plan to buy all the fish as small as possible. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. At the bottom of my post I have some information about my equipment in case it is important.

1. 2 Banggai Cardinalfish (already in the tank)
2. Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
3. Spotted Mandarin (I've already seeded the tank with copepods)
4. Orchid Dottyback
5. False Percula Clownfish
6. Tomini Tang

I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for 2 months now. It has 100 pounds of rock (dry from BRS) and about 1 inch of sand (Figi Pink). Underneath is a DIY 20 gallon sump with a skimmer (Reef Octopus 150-s) and a refugium with cheato powered by a Kessil H80. I have a Tunze Osmolator and two Skimz SS6.0 wavemakers running at half their capacity on tidal wave mode I'm hoping to develop it into an LPS dominant tank with an SPS under each of the lights (two AI Prime HDs).

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction Order and Stocking List for 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Below is a list of fish I'd like to put in my tank and the order in which I plan to introduce them. I have a 20 gallon quarantine tank I plan to keep each fish in for 6 weeks before introducing them to my 75 gallon tank. I would love feedback about whether these fish will do well together, if this is too much for a 75 gallon tank, and if the order I plan to introduce them is ideal. I plan to buy all the fish as small as possible. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. At the bottom of my post I have some information about my equipment in case it is important.

1. 2 Banggai Cardinalfish (already in the tank)
2. Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
3. Spotted Mandarin (I've already seeded the tank with copepods)
4. Orchid Dottyback
5. False Percula Clownfish
6. Tomini Tang

I have a 75 gallon tank that has been running for 2 months now. It has 100 pounds of rock (dry from BRS) and about 1 inch of sand (Figi Pink). Underneath is a DIY 20 gallon sump with a skimmer (Reef Octopus 150-s) and a refugium with cheato powered by a Kessil H80. I have a Tunze Osmolator and two Skimz SS6.0 wavemakers running at half their capacity on tidal wave mode I'm hoping to develop it into an LPS dominant tank with an SPS under each of the lights (two AI Prime HDs).
add the goby next, then the tang once you get some algae growth, then the clownfish, then the mandarin after 4-5ish months so your pods have more time to establish, and then the dottyback

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back