Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

mnk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been able to find fairy wrasses here's where I live, however I found out about the blue streak cleaner wrasse. What do you think about that specie?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is close to cycling and I'm excited. This is the stocking I have in mind, some will come months/year later (mandarin goby) and others will be gradually introduced into the aquarium. The tank is 66 gallons, 100cm x 50 x 50. Anything you would add, subtract? I was thinking of wrasses, but didn't wanted anything that slept in sand bed and don't really like six line.
The stocking is:
-Pair of maroon clownfish
-One spot fox face
-Yellow watchmen goby (with shrimp)
-Mandarin goby (much later)
Any other suggestions? Or changes?
Why don't you want anything that buries in the sand?

Fairy and flasher wrasses don't bury. Some of the larger species need more space than your tank, but there are plenty of good species.

I would be wary of the maroon clowns in that size tank. They get big and aggressive. A spawning pr will take over about 50g worth of space, which doesn't leave much room for other fish.
I haven't been able to find fairy wrasses here's where I live, however I found out about the blue streak cleaner wrasse. What do you think about that specie?
That is not a good species for your setup.

mnk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?
I don't want burrowing species because I don't have much sand in my set up

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my reboot of my 60 g cube. I need a list of fish that are coral friendly and fun to watch. Reefing is a stress relief for me and I can spend hours watching the tank. I know right now my tank is filled with bugs, as i call them. pods bugs same difference.

I currently have a paired clown set.

I am looking for suggestions on other fish.

Thanks,
"Z"

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my reboot of my 60 g cube. I need a list of fish that are coral friendly and fun to watch. Reefing is a stress relief for me and I can spend hours watching the tank. I know right now my tank is filled with bugs, as i call them. pods bugs same difference.

Thanks,
"Z"
What kind of clowns? Maybe a mandarin goby.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

2 yrs in the hobby. 55g FOWLR upgrading to 100g reef (gonna start off w beginner corals for sure). Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated :)

What I have
- Coral Beauty (I know not 100% reefsafe but too late. I’m really attached to it too)
- Watchman Goby w Pistol Shrimp friend
- Yellowtale Damsel
- hermit crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp

What I really want:
- Clownfish (open to suggestion re kind)
- Royal gramma
- Yellow Wrasse
- Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (IF I can get some bigger fish that would be compatible with it)

What else? I was hoping my choices would go way up with a 100g vs my current 55 but it appears I was wrong. Again. I may have to go bigger. And I will if I can figure out how to get it down a funky set of stairs to the basement.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

2 yrs in the hobby. 55g FOWLR upgrading to 100g reef (gonna start off w beginner corals for sure). Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated :)

What I have
- Coral Beauty (I know not 100% reefsafe but too late. I’m really attached to it too)
- Yellowtale Damsel

What I really want:
- Royal gramma
- Yellow Wrasse
- Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (IF I can get some bigger fish that would be compatible with it)

What else? I was hoping my choices would go way up with a 100g vs my current 55 but it appears I was wrong. Again. I may have to go bigger. And I will if I can figure out how to get it down a funky set of stairs to the basement.

Checkout the first post in this thread. It’s 108 gallon. 23 fish.

Nice variety.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-much-is-too-much-are-there-really-any-rules.582739/

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might just be EXACTLY what I was looking for. How’d I miss that? Thx!!!

The stock in that tank was researched heavily in this very thread.

Special thanks to @eatbreakfast for where I am today with it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
"Z"
Some good choices for that size tank include: midas blenny, longnose or flame hawkfish, royal gramma, swales basslet, yellow assessor, pintail or lunatus fairy wrasse, lubbocks fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, grey head wrasse.

I would strongly recommend AGAINST a sixline wrasse.
Hello,

What I have
- Yellowtale Damsel

What I really want:
- Royal gramma
- Yellow Wrasse

Your "want" list is pretty good, though I would advise against a cleaner wrasse in that size tank.

What are the dimensions of the tank? A pyramid butterfly is a large-ish fish that may work. I love more wrasses. Most fairy species and all flasher species would work.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good choices for that size tank include: midas blenny, longnose or flame hawkfish, royal gramma, swales basslet, yellow assessor, pintail or lunatus fairy wrasse, lubbocks fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, grey head wrasse.

I would strongly recommend AGAINST a sixline wrasse.

Your "want" list is pretty good, though I would advise against a cleaner wrasse in that size tank.

What are the dimensions of the tank? A pyramid butterfly is a large-ish fish that may work. I love more wrasses. Most fairy species and all flasher species would work.

That seems to be the general consensus about the cleaner wrasse so I’m going to remove it from my list. Will look into other wrasses u mention thx.

I didn’t think o could get a butterfly. Never heard of a pyramid one. Will look into thx!

I don’t have the tank yet. Wanted to see what I could get in a 100 to determine if perhaps I should go 125. Km thinking I might as well go 125 lol

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,
"Z"

Firefish, orange spot goby and a pistol shrimp, flasher wrasse, black cap basslet come to mind.
If you get a flasher wrasse, the tank needs a lid, because it almost certainly will jump.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking into a pink-streaked wrasse or a tanaka's pygmy wrasse for my 15 g nano reef. Does anybody know where I can find one online?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently looking into a pink-streaked wrasse or a tanaka's pygmy wrasse for my 15 g nano reef. Does anybody know where I can find one online?

La and fishy business get about 6-12 every couple of months on the pink streaked.
Tanakas i only ever see in divers den and very rarely at the lfs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back