Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a chromis ? If you would plz. I feel lucky to hv 5 healthy green chromis. Purchased 7 originally and I guess things just sorted out. If I purchased 5 yellow and black would it be all out war? The Y&B chromis hv a different body type so I was wondering...... plus would that move if successful starve all my other fish? They are like piranhas when it’s feeding time! Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a chromis ? If you would plz. I feel lucky to hv 5 healthy green chromis. Purchased 7 originally and I guess things just sorted out. If I purchased 5 yellow and black would it be all out war? The Y&B chromis hv a different body type so I was wondering...... plus would that move if successful starve all my other fish? They are like piranhas when it’s feeding time! Thanks
What is the species name you're eferring to of the yellow and black chromis?

Some of the commonly sold fish under that name are Neoglyphidodon nigrosis, which is a very aggressive damsel species that gets large and loses the cool pattern. I would not recommend adding these guys at all.

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add another fish. My tank is a Red Sea 170 mixed reef, mostly sps. I’ve got a lunatus fairy wrasse, tailspot blenny, and single mocha ice clown. I’m looking at another wrasse or an anthia of some kind, Carberryi or Ignitus Anthia. Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful!
2a7c1f7add35f152e7cdc144f568c7c8.jpg

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add another fish. My tank is a Red Sea 170 mixed reef, mostly sps. I’ve got a lunatus fairy wrasse, tailspot blenny, and single mocha ice clown. I’m looking at another wrasse or an anthia of some kind, Carberryi or Ignitus Anthia. Any suggestions or recommendations would be helpful!

Anthias are very social and do best in groups. They also require a lot of swimming space. Consider some of the flasher wrasse, carpenters or McCosker

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i done with stocking a tank? It 115 gallons mixed reef total (red sea xl 425)
Currently i have:
Sailfin Blenny
Chalk Basslet
Longnose Hawkfish
2 Zebra Dartfish
Springeri Damsel
Bellus Angel
Red Line Wrasse
Katherine Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby(still hiding since introducing to dt)

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a lubbocks wrasse as well in the pic?

Any of the flasher wrasses, except eightline flasher would be fine. Just use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to existing ones.

Agreed that most anthias are a bad fit for that tank, but sunburst anthias can be kept singly and work.
Am i done with stocking a tank? It 115 gallons mixed reef total (red sea xl 425)
Currently i have:
Sailfin Blenny
Chalk Basslet
Longnose Hawkfish
2 Zebra Dartfish
Springeri Damsel
Bellus Angel
Red Line Wrasse
Katherine Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby(still hiding since introducing to dt)
As long as parameters are still good and there isn't overt aggression, you should be able to add more. Each tank is different as far as stocking capacity.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on next fish. New couple month tank. Have 2 pervs, a bicolor blenny, and a royal gramma. They are in my observation 55gal and in a couple weeks will go to the 240gal DT with another pair of phantom clowns being added at some time. They are being qt somewhere else. What should be the next fish? Need something around the bottom. Sand shifting would be awesome and any other ideas. Will have tangs and wrasses later but want to get the more community fish in and established first.

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted on here before but now I’m considering an upgrade to a different tank :)
130 gallon tank w capacity for 110 gallons. Looking for reef safe options please. What I’ve got:
1 watchman goby
1 yellowtale damsel
1 pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp (will get 1 more)
1 astria snail
2 Mexican turbo snails
5 hermit crabs (various types)

I really want
Royal gramma
2 clown fish

What are some of the larger fish options?

Willing to get a lid so jumpers are ok :)

Thank you thank you :)

abbas.jaffer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a lubbocks wrasse as well in the pic?

Any of the flasher wrasses, except eightline flasher would be fine. Just use a social acclimation box to introduce new wrasses to existing ones.

Agreed that most anthias are a bad fit for that tank, but sunburst anthias can be kept singly and work.

As long as parameters are still good and there isn't overt aggression, you should be able to add more. Each tank is different as far as stocking capacity.

The lubbocks is gone. The lunatus wrasse was beating it up too much. Sunburst anthia as in the fathead anthia? Would i need to use an acclimation box for the sunburst anthia?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on next fish. New couple month tank. Have 2 pervs, a bicolor blenny, and a royal gramma. They are in my observation 55gal and in a couple weeks will go to the 240gal DT with another pair of phantom clowns being added at some time. They are being qt somewhere else. What should be the next fish? Need something around the bottom. Sand shifting would be awesome and any other ideas. Will have tangs and wrasses later but want to get the more community fish in and established first.
Wrasses are a community fish. So you could get started with some fairy, flasher, or small Halichoeres species.

I would wait a little longer for the tank to mature before adding a sand sifter, but you could add a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo.
I’ve posted on here before but now I’m considering an upgrade to a different tank :)
130 gallon tank w capacity for 110 gallons. Looking for reef safe options please. What I’ve got:
1 watchman goby
1 yellowtale damsel
1 pistol shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp (will get 1 more)
1 astria snail
2 Mexican turbo snails
5 hermit crabs (various types)

I really want
Royal gramma
2 clown fish

What are some of the larger fish options?

Willing to get a lid so jumpers are ok :)

Thank you thank you :)
Larger fish that would work for that size tank would include pyramid butterfly, bellus angel, kole or tomini tang, foxface.
The lubbocks is gone. The lunatus wrasse was beating it up too much. Sunburst anthia as in the fathead anthia? Would i need to use an acclimation box for the sunburst anthia?
Yes, sunburst= fathead anthias. No, you wouldn't need an acclimation box.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are a community fish. So you could get started with some fairy, flasher, or small Halichoeres species.

I would wait a little longer for the tank to mature before adding a sand sifter, but you could add a watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo.

Larger fish that would work for that size tank would include pyramid butterfly, bellus angel, kole or tomini tang, foxface.

Yes, sunburst= fathead anthias. No, you wouldn't need an acclimation box.
Thank you eatbreakfast, I would like goby/shrimp pair. Agree maybe a little early for sand sifters. Just now thinking about a few crabs and snails and don't want many yet cause just starting the uglies. LOL.

Katrina Moore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have a 14 gallon tank and am planning to move everything into a 55.

In the 14:
a false percula clown, female
blue damsel, i believe female
two toadstool leather corals

planning on moving things over to the 55, plus these:
lawnmower blenny
yellow staghorn damsel

i like agressive fish as long as the damsels won't kill each other. the blue damsel gets along with the clownfish well enough in the 14, and they would all be added to the 55 at the same time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have a 14 gallon tank and am planning to move everything into a 55.

In the 14:
a false percula clown, female
blue damsel, i believe female
two toadstool leather corals

planning on moving things over to the 55, plus these:
lawnmower blenny
yellow staghorn damsel

i like agressive fish as long as the damsels won't kill each other. the blue damsel gets along with the clownfish well enough in the 14, and they would all be added to the 55 at the same time.
If added simultaneously it will be fine. But you will be very limited on future additions.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a lubbocks wrasse

Parameters are fine. Any recommendations on fish? I’m looking for something active.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either yellow coris or iridis wrasse, sunburst or borbonius anthias, jawfish.
Aren’t Sunburst scared their own shadow? My Chalk and Longnose are problematic fish.... Also, would Lyretail Anthias work? Pair?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t Sunburst scared their own shadow? My Chalk and Longnose are problematic fish.... Also, would Lyretail Anthias work? Pair?
Sunbursts can be cryptic, but they get bolder.

Lyretail anthias can be a little beligerant to other planktivores, like the katherine's wrasse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back